Latest post Fri, Jun 7 2013 12:30 PM by smrpix. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 2 2013 3:20 PM

• jan.t
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 25 2007
    • Posts 31
    • Points 405

mobile phone to use as camcorder?

Hello!

I have Avid Xpress DV 1 on an old computer with win 2000 prof.

I used to film with my Panasonic nvdx 100, 3ccd,  and transfer video from camcorder with firewire.

My camcorder doesnt have picture format 16:9 so I am looking for something new i e a mobile phone (?) that can shoot 16:9 with about same or better quality?

samsung galaxy s2 has support for mpeg2. But could it work with the software? and how do I make the video accessible for editing!

Thanks for any help, Jan - sweden

• Sun, Jun 2 2013 3:42 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,156
    • Points 23,140

Re: mobile phone to use as camcorder?

for the record this is a professional editing forum and we dont really deal with consumer products 

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Sun, Jun 2 2013 5:26 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,354
    • Points 16,655

Avid Express DV will not work with mpeg2 nor any other format you are likely to find on any phone.  It is way too old.

You may be able to find a working DV 16:9 camcorder on ebay.

• Sun, Jun 2 2013 8:28 PM In reply to

• jan.t
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 31
    • Points 405

Ok! I have to buy a 16:9 camcorder later on then. It needs to have xlr-adapter connection for external mic and firewire output for pc, and headphonesocket. I have been looking at the hdc-sd 900 with 3ccd but find it expensive (6500 swedish kr =990 usd). 3ccd isnt necessary, just same or better picturequality as my old camcorder. any other alternative camcorders you can think of, used ones as well?

• Sun, Jun 2 2013 11:17 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,354
    • Points 16,655

My advice would be to bring your computer and OS into the 21st century.  Forget Xpress DV ( Avid did.)  You can get a copy of Vegas Movie Studio for around $50 that blows it out of the water functionally and opens up many more format options, allowing you a wider choice of cameras.

(Don't know how you were planning to plug those xlrs into a phone, either)Wink

• Mon, Jun 3 2013 12:00 AM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

smrpix:

My advice would be to bring your computer and OS into the 21st century.  Forget Xpress DV ( Avid did.)  You can get a copy of Vegas Movie Studio for around $50 that blows it out of the water functionally and opens up many more format options, allowing you a wider choice of cameras.

(Don't know how you were planning to plug those xlrs into a phone, either)Wink

Yes agreed. Or, you could get an ipad mini that shoots 1080p video and edit it on iMovie on the very same device it was shot on. Times are changing.

• Mon, Jun 3 2013 4:58 AM In reply to

smrpix:
    Forget Xpress DV ( Avid did.)

Speaking of which, it's your last chance to get an Xpress DV upgrade deal to Media Composer:

http://www.avid.com/US/specialoffers/Upgrade-Your-Old-System-to-Media-Composer

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jun 3 2013 10:45 AM In reply to

• jan.t
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 31
    • Points 405

Hello and thanks for the answers. I know my stuff are outdated but I like my old avid software. I find it user friendly and know how to burn dvd from it. I still think the cheapest easiest option to get 16:9 is to find a decent used camcorder with firewire output, not necessarily with xlr-adapter connection but with external mic capability. Any used camcorder purchase recommendations? and yes it has to work with my software.

best wishes/Jan

• Tue, Jun 4 2013 11:21 AM In reply to

• jan.t
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 31
    • Points 405

Now when I think of it... Wink HD 1080 sounds good but I want output for directional mic. Before I used to save in Mpeg2 for burning to dvd but now when you can stream from usb-stick to your tv I have heard from samsung mpeg4 is better?

• Tue, Jun 4 2013 11:57 AM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

jan.t:

Now when I think of it... Wink HD 1080 sounds good but I want output for directional mic. Before I used to save in Mpeg2 for burning to dvd but now when you can stream from usb-stick to your tv I have heard from samsung mpeg4 is better?

I have an hvx 200 I can sell to you. I'm in london. 

• Wed, Jun 5 2013 5:20 PM In reply to

• jan.t
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 31
    • Points 405

Thanks but I am not interested. I want to buy a mobile phone then look to upgrade my avid or get a program to edit my the mpeg4 recordings if that is the best format. After that I will look to upgrade my camcorder but with something smaller and cheaper.

• Thu, Jun 6 2013 11:32 AM In reply to

• jan.t
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 31
    • Points 405

Is it possible to upgrade avid and import mobile phone recordings for editing? Which format is the best for mobile phone recordings (mpeg4)?

• Thu, Jun 6 2013 1:16 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,354
    • Points 16,655

jan.t:

Is it possible to upgrade avid and import mobile phone recordings for editing? Which format is the best for mobile phone recordings (mpeg4)?

Yes, but...

Mobile phones are designed to capture short clips for immediate sharing.  The long GOP codecs and (often) variable frame rates utilized to make this possible also make them terrible for editing.

I know of no phone that lets you choose your codec. You get what you get

• Fri, Jun 7 2013 11:27 AM In reply to

• jan.t
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 31
    • Points 405

I can import and edit mobile phone video mpeg 4 without sync issues (which are fairly common on mobile phones I have heard) on which version of Avid? I mean which version of Avid do I need to upgrade to.

Can I use firewire input on my pc for connection from mobile? I think I might purchase the galaxy s2 plus since its affordable here now.

I know it sounds waccho but I want one work station for both mobile phone and camcorder for editing and dvd burning.

• Fri, Jun 7 2013 12:30 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,354
    • Points 16,655

You upgrade to the latest version of Avid. 

I know of no phone that uses firewire.  Most use USB

Why is that Wacco?

The issue isn't sync -- it's on-again off-again blended frames as the frame rates change from scene to scene  and even within shots.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller