Latest post Tue, Nov 19 2013 11:44 PM by rbradleyc. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 15 2013 8:37 PM In reply to

Re: Videoguys' PC & Mac System Recommendations for Avid Media Composer 7

newyankee:
    Apple could easily do this for quicktime on a PC, but I don't think it is much of a priority for them.

Herein lies the whole problem "we" face. Apple, for obvious reasons, has never made any effort to make quicktime a powerfull media engine on the pc. Does that mean Avid should have ditched quicktime years ago? Whoever knows the right answer please inform Avid management.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Fri, Nov 15 2013 9:01 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

Videoguys DIY 10 Update

For the past 10 years we have been publishing our Videoguys’ DIY articles as a service to our customers and the internet community. We publish these guides as a recipe for building your own video editing workstation at an affordable price but these DIY recommendations may also be used to compare specs on already built machine like an HP Workstation.

I know it has been a LONG time since we first introduced our DIY 9 build and even our DIY 9.5 updates are over a year old.  Every day we get calls and emails from our customers asking about our DIY recommendations and when we're going to build our DIY 10 machine.  I’m happy to report that we’ve finally found an enthusiast level motherboard with Thunderbolt - the Asus Z87-Deluxe/Quad - which we can use for DIY10!

Why we waited

I’d like to explain why it seemed like forever since our last DIY system build. We have been waiting for an enthusiast class Ivy Bridge motherboard with Thunderbolt and had been told would initially appear the summer of 2013. It didn't. In February, 2013 we posted a potential DIY X build using the Asus P8Z777-V deluxe motherboard with Thunderbolt and many of you are running this build with great results. We still wanted to wait for a completely integrated Thunderbolt solution.

Why we're obsessed with Thunderbolt

It's not an obsession, but more of a craving. Thunderbolt allows you to attach an external 4, 6 or 8 bay storage solution and get sustained throughput comparable to an external RAID controller card like an ATTO R680 or Highpoint RocketRAID 4522. These RAID controllers cost around a thousand bucks and require special drivers and, they are not that easy to set up. External Thunderbolt RAIDs are very easy to set-up. All you have to do is plug it in, format and go. You can even daisy chain multiple Thunderbolt drives.

Blazing fast Thunderbolt transfer speeds also mean that you can copy your data from your camcorder or DSLR or GoPro much faster. And we know, the faster you can copy the footage, the sooner you can start editing!

In December, Apple will start shipping their sexy new black cylinders - the new Mac Pro. No internal slots at all, but 6 Thunderbolt 2.0 connections! If Apple builds it, the industry will come. We expect to see a ton of new exciting Thunderbolt based products to take us to our 4K future.

It’s more than just Thunderbolt

When we put the Videoguys’ DIY stamp on a recommended system we need an enthusiast based motherboard that can handle all the data I/O and computations that go on during video editing. While a gaming based machine will run your video editing software, it will run better and deliver higher performance and stability on an enthusiast level motherboard. These have faster and wider internal data transfers that allow them to handle faster I/O, faster memory and read/writes.

Multiple DIY Builds for every budget

We're hoping to have our DIY 10 workstations built and tested before the end of the year. I'm actually hoping to have our top of the line DIY 10 system built before Apple launches the new Mac Pro so we can compare the performance between the two running Avid & Adobe software. We're also going to go back to the basics, putting together a build for as close to $1,000 as possible. If you who have been following our DIY systems from the beginning you may remember that our first goal was to deliver the best possible machine for under $1,000. We didn't hit the target but, 10 years later, I think we can say that our DIY guides have been a huge success.

So our DIY 10 Guide will include a budget system for around $1,000, a mid-level machine for around $1,500 and a top of the line machine, which we hope will give the baseline new Mac Pro a run for the money, at around $2,000. 

Click here for the rest of the article and to see the builds

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Nov 18 2013 5:40 AM In reply to

• rbradleyc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 23 2006
    • Western NY
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,195

Hi Gary,

I have been following your advice for quite some time, my desktop is a mod of your DIY 2. I'm looking to finally upgrade and would like to go to a laptop.  Do you have any recommendations for a machine to run MC7? I generally shoot with a Canon 60D but have not been editing much because of limitations with 3.5 and my old machine. I'm trying to stay under $1,000

Thanks for your help

MC 6.5.2 - Windows 8.1, ASUS G750, i7 4700, GeForce 765m, 12gb RAM, [view my complete system specs]

Brad

• Mon, Nov 18 2013 1:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,682
    • Points 224,120
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I just pinged Gary on IM and asked that he chime in when he is available today...

:)

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Nov 18 2013 2:10 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

We have posted a solid budget system as part of our DIY 10 article. It's a little light for MC7 because I want to see a Quadro GPU and at least 16GB of RAM, but it will get you going. If you edit DSLR, Go Pro or AVCHD footage, it's going to start choking on 3 or more layers of footage.

https://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+DIY+10+++Our+wait+for+Thunderbolt+is+over/0x86959ff2ee4098c3eef68b2070f368dd.aspx

Gary

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

• Tue, Nov 19 2013 5:05 AM In reply to

• rbradleyc
    • Not Ranked
    • Western NY
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,195

What about a laptop, Gary?

MC 6.5.2 - Windows 8.1, ASUS G750, i7 4700, GeForce 765m, 12gb RAM, [view my complete system specs]

Brad

• Tue, Nov 19 2013 2:01 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

working to update our laptop recommendations.

Here are our top choices

1) Mac Book Pro 15 Retina

2) HP z Book 15 w Quadro K2100 GPU or 17 w Quadro K3100 GPU

3) Dell M4800 15 iw Quadro K2100M GPU

4) Lenovov Thinkpad W530 w Quadro K2000M GPU

The HP zBooks have Thunderbolt, which for me, with a klaptop makes it the top PC choice.

If you want to run Avid (or Adobe) on a laptop, pay the extra bucks for the Quadro GPU. Your going to get outstanding performance with it. LOad it up w 16GB of RAM. I'm still sticking with Win 7, but hearing good things about Win 8.1, especilly on a laptop.

I hope to be updatting our recommended laptop article in a couple of weeks. This post got me started ;-)

Gary

• Tue, Nov 19 2013 11:44 PM In reply to

• rbradleyc
    • Not Ranked
    • Western NY
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,195

Gary,

thank you very much for your input!

Brad

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller