Latest post Sat, May 25 2013 6:58 AM by mjolnarn. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 21 2013 5:58 PM

Improving Resolution when working with SD footage

I have a project using all old DVCAM clips, which I need to deliver as an upload for for the web.  I did not digitize these clips myself--they were already given to me as a standard def Avid project on a hard drive.   I found that changing the project resolution to HD (1920x1080 30p) before cutting the project, and then exporting a QT ref and using Squeeze to resize back to 640x480 when I create the Mp4 upload file results in a better image than cutting and exporting as an SD project.  I have no idea why this is, but the improved quality difference is noticable.  

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, May 23 2013 1:06 PM In reply to

Re: Improving Resolution when working with SD footage

I've only ever found Avid up and down scaler to be useful for offline work. It's fast but not very "clever" better results, as you've discovered, are obtained with external scaling tools.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, May 23 2013 1:41 PM In reply to

If you have BCC, that has an effect that is called UpRez. This allows for higher quality upscaling, with various algorithms.

You would then need to export your SD footage from the SD project (as SD, Same As Source, 709 levels), then import the result back into your HD project with the option "Do Not Resize Smaller Images" selected. This will give you an SD picture inside an HD canvas, with black around it. Apply BCC UpRez, choose 'SD D1' as the source aspect ratio and 'HD 1920x1080 square pixels' as the destination. Then tweak the settings at will, most of all the Quality options.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 25 2013 12:51 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,393
    • Points 97,070

Job ter Burg:
    Then tweak the settings at will, most of all the Quality options.
    Personally, I'm a great fan of "Magic Sharp" in UpRez.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 25 2013 6:58 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

jwrl:

Job ter Burg:
    Then tweak the settings at will, most of all the Quality options.
    Personally, I'm a great fan of "Magic Sharp" in UpRez.

+1

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller