Latest post Sat, May 25 2013 1:10 PM by Radman. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 15 2013 5:59 AM

• Tim
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 18 2009
    • Australia
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,515

Standalone DNxHD software encoder?

Hey guys - is there a standalone Avid DNxHD software encoder? or another encoder that can

encode to DNxHD with all the different data-rate & bit flavors of DNxHD?

Cheers.

• Wed, May 15 2013 6:15 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,369
    • Points 233,105
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Standalone DNxHD software encoder?

Tim,

Here is one possibility that I use. almost daily, for encoding my Canon DSLR files to DNxHD.

http://www.screencast.com/t/Jt6KC06XUBc

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 15 2013 7:44 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Or just use Squeeze with the mxf add if you want to avoid double transcodes, files and space and transcode directly to the Avid library.

Will cost some but maybe worth it if time and space is valuable for you.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, May 15 2013 8:09 AM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,423
    • Points 15,660

You can also try to DaVinci Resolve, the lite version is free, but enough.
    It is a tool for color correction, but transcoding works well.
    V.

AVID MC2020.08, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 442.50, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 15 2013 8:40 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Vilem:

You can also try to DaVinci Resolve, the lite version is free, but enough.
    It is a tool for color correction, but transcoding works well.
    V.

Yes, of course Villiam, haven´t tried that one yet, maybe some rainy day.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, May 15 2013 11:54 AM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 15,605

There's any number of stand alone encoders, if you have the DNxHD encoder installed on your machine. Avid makes 'Metafuze' precisely for this reason. TmpGenc and Adobe's Media Encoder also work well, not to mention Quicktime Pro.

SYS1:ASUS Z97, Haswell 4.0GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4200 + GTX1070, Thunderbolt II -DNxIO-FSI CM171 ///SYS2:ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Independent Video and Film Services, Sony PMW-F5--Sony FS700U--Canon 7d--Odyssey 7Q

• Thu, May 16 2013 9:36 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Australia
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,515

All great options guys, thanks heaps!

• Thu, May 16 2013 10:46 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

cuervo:

There's any number of stand alone encoders, if you have the DNxHD encoder installed on your machine. Avid makes 'Metafuze' precisely for this reason. TmpGenc and Adobe's Media Encoder also work well, not to mention Quicktime Pro.

But if you want mxf wrapped DNxHD there are fewer options. The squeeze plugin can do it but so can Resolve lite (and it's free)

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, May 16 2013 12:05 PM In reply to

If you create MXF avid media outside Avid then just be aware that it won't have a Project name embedded in the media. So Avids media tool won't show that media as related to your project.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Thu, May 16 2013 1:11 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Australia
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,515

I have adobe encoder, I've never used metafuze before would some be kind enough to do a step by step, it would be good to bring in media to a project without doing an additional transcode to make MC recognise it in the project, cheers!

• Thu, May 16 2013 3:12 PM In reply to

Honestly, while MetaFuze served a noble purpose for some time, I'm not sure it does anything that Resolve can't do. Not sure I'd recommend anyone spending time learning MetaFuze. Resolve seems to become the standard tool for creating digital dailies.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 16 2013 6:03 PM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 695
    • Points 10,330

Also - can anyone confirm if Metafuze is able to transcode MTS / AVCHD files - I dont think it recognises this file type

And then lets not forget that MC7 will do the transcodes as a background process so this is somewhat like a standalone transcoder and you get the added benefit of having the MXF file linked to your project. 

Neil 

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 16 2013 6:27 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

If you create MXF avid media outside Avid then just be aware that it won't have a Project name embedded in the media. So Avids media tool won't show that media as related to your project.

Pat, That's true for Squeeze's v.8. Export to > Avid MXF, but Video ToolShed has a dedicated product which Exports to Avid MXF that does allow naming a Project, which then works within MediaTool. What you do not get as of last month is the ability to merge AVCHD files that were recorded with continuous TC chunks, due to long record times. But I'd bet Video Toolshed mnages to provide that feature before Squeeze.... and at a fraction of the cost.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 16 2013 6:58 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

adamsonn:

And then lets not forget that MC7 will do the transcodes as a background process so this is somewhat like a standalone transcoder and you get the added benefit of having the MXF file linked to your project. 

Neil 

As this is a known feature of MC 7 I´m quoting from a test I did with 7 some week ago just so that you are aware of what will come ... Smile    no more comments .....

So I have a slight cold and also wanted to see how I could use the bg transcode to speed up my own workflow.

Direct ama linked from card placed on mediadrive about 2 hours of Sony Avchd media.

Placed it all on a sequense untouched.

Copied that sequense to a new bin and activated bg transcode on it.

Started to edit the directlinked sequense, cuts trimming cc etc , only one layer and I was in y / gr mode.

When that edit was finished the bg transcode was also finished, I simply highlighted all the transcoded clips together with the just edited sequense and relinked to selected media.

Worked like a charm.

Tomas 

• Fri, May 24 2013 12:23 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,423
    • Points 15,660

Lightworks the forum, I'm in solving one problem got an interesting tip converter which is free:

http://hdcinematics.com/tools/AWProClient.html

V.

AVID MC2020.08, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 442.50, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller