Latest post Wed, May 15 2013 6:43 PM by Larry Rubin. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 13 2013 7:57 PM

• SunStorm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 13 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Media Offline, with a twist

Or maybe not. I had a "shared" project set up for a filmmaking class at school, all of the media and projects were on a mac. I want to bring them home to continue editing on my laptop mac (and eventually delete the files on the school computer).  Since this was not set up as an "external" we just moved the files over to my external hard drive and tried booting it up at home.  It appears to have worked, BUT I get media offline notices and cant seem to get avid to relink to the files on the external drive.  Any thoughts?

• Mon, May 13 2013 8:58 PM In reply to

Re: Media Offline, with a twist

If you're sure you have all the related MXF media files on the external drive, AND that you have copied your Specific Project folder from the external drive into the master "Avid Projects" folder on your laptop's system drive, AND you are launching the project in the select project window from the copied folder on your laptop, NOT launching it from the project folder on the external drive, then if you are having media offline issues, rebuild the media database. But first, make sure you are following the Avid Media Folder Management Ground Rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media if you have any) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, never inside any other folders or the system will not find the media. The directory should be X:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1* where X is the specific media drive.

2) The folder names must always be the exact factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

*There is a 5,000 file limit on numerical folders. When 5,000 is reached, the system will create a "2" folder, move all the contents from "1" into it, and then repopulate "1" with new files. And so on.

To rebuild the media database, quit the application. Then, from each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database" also identified as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb" . If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point. Depending on the number of media drives and total amount of media on your system this could take a while, so good time for a meal break.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, May 15 2013 6:29 PM In reply to

• SunStorm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 13 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Yep, that did it!  Thanks for helping the NOOB.

• Wed, May 15 2013 6:43 PM In reply to

You're quite welcome. Happy editing!Yes

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller