Latest post Tue, Apr 30 2013 6:44 AM by Marianna. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 29 2013 9:44 AM

• Nikolai H
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 27 2012
    • Norway
    • Posts 20
    • Points 265

Organize MXF files after project.

I have 4 fairly big projects that I'm currently working on (3000-4000 clips each). 

They are all imported to the same drive, and the MXF files are in Avid Media Files / MXF / 1-14. So the MXF files are in several different folders. They are not imported all at once, so the files are scattered all over those 14 folders.

Is there a way for me of organizing this better, so I can sort all the MXF files from project 1 into one folder, and all from project 2 into another?

I have to give copies of projects to editors, and I dont want to give them more than what they need in terms of TB, and it would be great to just give them the folder that contains all the MXF files they need.

If there is a way to view source file for multiple clips at once, or something along those lines.

Thanks in advance!

- Nikolai

HP Z420 3.60Ghz 16GB RAM. [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Apr 29 2013 9:59 AM In reply to

Re: Organize MXF files after project.

Random Video's MediaMover will help you. Or the (free) MDV (PC-only).

Normally, I recommend keeping media directories separate per project, manually. So I'll have 'Avid MediaFiles PROJECTONE' and 'Avid MediaFiles PROJECTTWO', then rename one of them to 'Avid MediaFiles', then work with it.

I also tend to rename the 1,2,3 subfolders so that they reflect shooting days (101 is picture for day #1, 201 is sound for day #2, etc). All imports/renders/etc then automatically will go into 1,2,3 etc). Others use date folders (so today would be 130429, tomorrow would be 130430, etc.).

Douglas has a tutorial on a slightly different method, renaming the subfolders (1,2,3 etc) so that they reflect their project association. Slightly more manual work if you need to add footage to different projects.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 29 2013 10:12 AM In reply to

• Nikolai H
    • Not Ranked
    • Norway
    • Posts 20
    • Points 265

Thanks for the super quick response!

I'll look into the Media Mover for Mac. - It looks like what I'm after, and they have a free trail :)

I will definetly get it more organized next time I import, now it's just a case of cleaning up my own mess!

• Mon, Apr 29 2013 10:17 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

You can also find a detailed set of video tutorials that I created recently.
    There is information about them HERE

On that page you can watch a short introduction in panel, 20_00

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Apr 29 2013 10:24 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Job ter Burg:
    Slightly more manual work if you need to add footage to different projects.

Job, it is no more manual work than your suggestion Geeked

Job ter Burg:
    So I'll have 'Avid MediaFiles PROJECTONE' and 'Avid MediaFiles PROJECTTWO', then rename one of them to 'Avid MediaFiles', then work with it.

Also, as both you and I mentioned above, I have a set of video tutorials describing the whole process and more.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Apr 29 2013 10:25 AM In reply to

• Nikolai H
    • Not Ranked
    • Norway
    • Posts 20
    • Points 265

Thanks heaps :) I'll have a look at them now. 

I should come here more often instead of pulling my hair out in frustration.

• Mon, Apr 29 2013 10:30 AM In reply to

To each his own, Douglas. Let's not go there again.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 29 2013 10:41 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Job ter Burg:

To each his own, Douglas. Let's not go there again.

Yes Agreed!

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Apr 29 2013 11:44 AM In reply to

• Nikolai H
    • Not Ranked
    • Norway
    • Posts 20
    • Points 265

Will I be able to do the same with Media Mover 3.2 for Mac, as I will with MDV, the Media Mover seemed to have a lot less functions than the MDV.

Douglas' tutorial covered the MDV, but I'm currently on a Mac, so I can't install it.

• Mon, Apr 29 2013 12:06 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Nikolai H:

Will I be able to do the same with Media Mover 3.2 for Mac, as I will with MDV, the Media Mover seemed to have a lot less functions than the MDV.

Douglas' tutorial covered the MDV, but I'm currently on a Mac, so I can't install it.

Nikolai,

As I do not have any experience with Mac (other than my kinsmen in Scotland) I cannot answer that.
    I am almost certain it will do the same task. Perhaps Job can fill in more information on that topic.
    From what I saw on their website it does a very similar job.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Apr 29 2013 12:21 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Nikolai,

I downloaded the PC demo version of MediaMover and it appears to work in a very similar manner as MDV.

I could not test what "moving Media Offline" does, as that is disabled in the demo version.

If you have the possibility of chosing where to move the media to, and you follow a similar workflow as I describe in my tutorials - you can still have the media online.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Apr 29 2013 11:57 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Nikolai,

It is possible that Media Copy 3.0, from Automatic Duck, can do the same as MDV for you.

It is FREE!

http://www.automaticduck.com/products/mc/

I am looking into how it works, but it sounds like something you should take a look at.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Apr 30 2013 5:46 AM In reply to

MediaMover is similar, less buttons and functions, but it works lik this: you let it scan your media drives / volumes (you can include or exclude drives if you like). Then you get a list of Projects that MM found media for. Select one or more of these projects and choose "Move Offline". Then, on your media drives, you will find a folder 'MediaMover Offline'. This will contain subfolders with the name of each project.

You can easily copy these folders to another drive, then move the media back online, if you need to.

• Tue, Apr 30 2013 5:48 AM In reply to

MediaCopy, AFAIK, requires you send it an AAF of a sequence, then it will find all media for that sequence. Nice, but not if you just want other editors to have access to ALL media for any given project - or just split up huge mediafiles folders.

• Tue, Apr 30 2013 6:02 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hello Job,

Thank you for the 2 posts above with the explanations.

One question, that I cannot figure out the answer to:

Job ter Burg:
    Select one or more of these projects and choose "Move Offline". Then, on your media drives, you will find a folder 'MediaMover Offline'. This will contain subfolders with the name of each project.

Do I have any control at this point so that I can choose a folder of my own to send the files to?  Or, must the files go to the "Media Offline" folder?

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller