Latest post Thu, Apr 18 2013 8:50 PM by Colby. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 18 2013 6:03 AM

• Colby
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 23 2008
    • Posts 107
    • Points 1,435

DNxHD QTs and the Alpha Channel

I'm rendering DNxHD 145 QTs out of After Effects CS 5.5.  My output is set to RGB+Alpha (and either straight or premult).

I import these QTs into MC 5.5 but no matter what I do, the AVID sees the Alpha as full-screen, even when the Alpha channel is NOT full screen.

In the end I just end up exporting 2 QTs from After Effects: one RGB and the other Alpha, both straight. AVID has no problem with this.  But I'd really like to be able to create just the ONE file.

Surely someone out there has seen this problem and either solved it or explained it...

Colbers

• Thu, Apr 18 2013 8:22 AM In reply to

Re: DNxHD QTs and the Alpha Channel

Which color space settings and which alpha settings are set in your import options?

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Apr 18 2013 5:19 PM In reply to

• taloftus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • SF, CA USA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 675

Make sure you also adjust the codec setting in AE.  Output Module Settings - Format Options... - Codec Settings - Make sure an alpha option is selected.

I'm able to regularly create an DNxHD QT with alpha from AE.

Good luck.

tom

MC 8.3. Mojo DX, HP xw8600, Win 7 64, 16 GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 18 2013 7:57 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

taloftus:
    Format Options... - Codec Settings - Make sure an alpha option is selected.

^^This^^

I was burned many times by not digging deep enough and checking the options. 

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 18 2013 8:49 PM In reply to

• Colby
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 107
    • Points 1,435

Well, I must say that this is a little embarrassing...

Sure enough, in the code settings box in After Effects (which is already WAY down there), the Alpha checkbox was set to "none." No wonder I wasn't getting one...

So now that you've solved that for me, my next question is:  Do I want uncompressed or compressed?  I noticed that QT that I rendered with this new-found Alpha option was almost 4 times bigger than the previous one. I selected "uncompressed."  But I could just as easily go with uncompressed.

That's why I'm asking someone like you who has a little more experience with these things. Does it make a huge difference which I choose?

And thanks a lot for your response, btw.

Colbers

• Thu, Apr 18 2013 8:50 PM In reply to

• Colby
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 107
    • Points 1,435

Sure enough...

Live and learn, right?

I checked the options and alpha was turned off...

Colbers

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller