Latest post Thu, Apr 11 2013 5:09 PM by Pat Horridge. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 11 2013 3:23 PM

• Bob Jones
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 38
    • Points 570

Worspaces, and aspect ratio settings

I've been using toolsets for a long time, and have them all set for source record, CC and audio editing, but recently started working regulalry on old 4:3 projects. So I've been looking at workspaces to create customised settings, to allow for faster switching. I checked out the workspaces turorial and setting them up was not a problem, what is a problem is that it's not recognising the screen apect ratio between settings..

any suggestions so i can simply switch between workspaces to quickly re-organise my real estate so it's best suited for a 4:3 screen and a 16:9

Cheers for any help..

Bob

Bob Jones
    edi
    tor
    edit-this.co.uk
    info@edit-this.co.uk

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 3:29 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,423
    • Points 15,660

Re: Worspaces, and aspect ratio settings

I do not know about a simple save.

It occurred to me to create a new user setting. Have one user profile for 16:9 and one for 4:3.

V.

AVID MC2020.08, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 442.50, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 11 2013 4:17 PM In reply to

• Tugger
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Champaign Illinois USA
    • Posts 676
    • Points 8,770

might be wrong (don't have MC in front of me right now) but I think the aspect ratio is independent of whatever workspace setting you're in. My workflow, like yours, is to have workspaces for various procedures, duplicated for 16X9 and then 4X3 projects. Right clicking on the composer (record) window gives you the pulldown to swap aspect ratio, So when setting up workspace I select the aspect I want, move windows around appropriately, then save. Unfortunately MC just remembers the last aspect used, so whenever you jump from project to project you have to do the one extra right-click step of setting aspect. Window placement isn't affected, you'll just see either some blank screen space, or a partially covered composer window depending on which aspect was last used and what workspace you're currently using.

Maybe somebody else has a more efficient workflow.

MediaComposer 2018.X on HP8770 Windows10pro / MediaComposer 5.5 on HP8740.eSATA external media drives. Samsung 24" computer monitors when in office... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 11 2013 4:34 PM In reply to

• Bob Jones
    • Not Ranked
    • London UK
    • Posts 38
    • Points 570

This was what i kinda thought i'd get... So the follow up... I can't get button to menu reassignment for aspect ratio, as it's a sub menu, and once i click the submenu triangle, the button assigned deselects, so the aspect ration doesn't appear to be assigned...

Am i right.. or is there a different location aspect ratio can be grabbed ?

Bob Jones
    edi
    tor
    edit-this.co.uk
    info@edit-this.co.uk

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 4:42 PM In reply to

• Tugger
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Champaign Illinois USA
    • Posts 676
    • Points 8,770

I think you're correct. Composer window aspect ratio is just for display, doesn't affect the actual project settings (you can swap to 4X3 in an HD project just to get an idea what an anamorphic image looks like). Would be nice if it was selectable, or sticky, within a workspace. Just a couple extra menu clicks when calling up a 4X3 workspace.

MediaComposer 2018.X on HP8770 Windows10pro / MediaComposer 5.5 on HP8740.eSATA external media drives. Samsung 24" computer monitors when in office... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 11 2013 4:46 PM In reply to

Tugger:

I think you're correct. Composer window aspect ratio is just for display, doesn't affect the actual project settings (you can swap to 4X3 in an HD project just to get an idea what an anamorphic image looks like). Would be nice if it was selectable, or sticky, within a workspace. Just a couple extra menu clicks when calling up a 4X3 workspace.

Not quite correct changing aspect ratio will also affect the creation of titles and how some effects work (a circle wipe for example) so aspect ratio does have an effect and MC is aware of it.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Thu, Apr 11 2013 5:05 PM In reply to

• Tugger
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Champaign Illinois USA
    • Posts 676
    • Points 8,770

thanks for the correction. Good to know. Not that I'd leave the display aspect different from the projects, but I do swap it occasionally to explain to clients how a 16X9 image gets put onto a DVD.

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 5:09 PM In reply to

If you do work between 4:3 and 16:9 it's worth getting your head around the image aspect and reformat column headings.

Basically if you correctly flag sources as 4:3 or 16:9 and change the reformat heading from stretch to letterbox/pillarbox

Then if you cut a clip into a timeline and change the project aspect you will see the clips automatically be pillarboxed or letterboxed as required.

Any clips used in sequences before those source settings are changed will only update after a sequence refresh.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller