Latest post Thu, Apr 11 2013 2:54 PM by Kevin Klimek. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 6:53 PM

• CassidyD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 9 2013
    • Posts 8
    • Points 170

AMA Linked Media Going Offline Randomly

Ok, first of all we're running AMC 6.5 on a mac pro tower. We have a big server with most of our footage but we also have four G-raid drives plugged in to handle the rest. We have about 300 hours of ProRes footage AMA linked into the project. Intermittently we have media going offline, the same media over and over but sometimes different clips as well. Sometimes it will come back just by bringing up the bin and sometimes I'll have to relink to AMA file to get it back. Has anyone had this issue before? 

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 7:25 PM In reply to

Re: AMA Linked Media Going Offline Randomly

Editing with AMA is iffy, because the current version of Avid MC can't really track it as well as if it were in the Avid media file structure.  The NEXT version of Avid, MC7, is said to have AMA linking that rivals, or at least comes very close, to how it manages Avid media in the MXF folders. 

Until then, it's always wise to only use AMA to access the media, and the consolidate it into the Avid folder structure.  Avid will simply re-wrap that ProRes into MXF, and put it into the Avid media database it likes. 

• Wed, Apr 10 2013 10:31 PM In reply to

• CassidyD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 9 2013
    • Posts 8
    • Points 170

When I consolidate the media is that going to take a lot of time? And space on my harddrive? I have around 15 terabytes of media and not a lot of extra harddrive space for MXF files. 

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 2:54 PM In reply to

As mentioned, consolidation is a re-wrap, so the file sizes would be about the same, but would be native to what Avid really likes.  You'll have to weigh the costs / time of consolidating everything now vs. dealing with the intermittent linking problems you'll experience throughout the process. 

Again, MC v7.0 will have managed AMA media, so *hopefully* this will not be an issue going forward.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller