Latest post Tue, May 7 2013 1:52 AM by Renn. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 4 2013 3:09 PM

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 4 2013
    • Los Angeles, California
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

Graphics card code not implemented / used in 6.5?

Hi everyone,

I'm on 6.5.2 and just upgraded to 6.5.2.1

Multicam is VERY slow (with nine cameras) on both of these versions. Ridiculously in fact...

Going into display settings and choosing OPENGL instead of my Quadro 4000 makes zero difference to the speed of multicam.

It's like the code for the graphics card isn't even implemented... Weird. Enabling Quadro used to make a "night and day" difference to multicam performance.

Each master clip is around 8 minutes FYI, and I've tried 10:1m and 15:1s - both are slow as hell. Also tried using multicam over the ISIS and locally (ie. local hard drive) and the speed is identical. Very odd.

What am I missing?

Multicam is basically unusable - plays fine but scrubs awfully (stutters massively) so editing is a nightmare.

M

PC tower: 2015 machine with Thunderbolt 2. Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4Ghz. 32gb RAM. 64 bit Win7 Home Premium. Avid 8.9.1 (as of late Aug 2017). GTX 760. Raid0... [view my complete system specs]

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

• Thu, Apr 4 2013 3:15 PM In reply to

• Rinze Schuurman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,495

Re: Graphics card code not implemented / used in 6.5?

Wasn't there a new nvidia driver acknowledged for the new version? Thought I read something like that. Or maybe a new quicktime version.

4 avid systems on x58 and x79 platforms with 18 TB internal mediadrive in raid 5 each and 300 GB ssd OS drive, Nvidia GTX 580 to Nvidia GTX Titan video... [view my complete system specs]

"Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user"

• Thu, Apr 4 2013 3:19 PM In reply to

Rinze Schuurman:

Wasn't there a new nvidia driver acknowledged for the new version? Thought I read something like that. Or maybe a new quicktime version.

Yes, there is a new driver version qualified for use with 6.5.2.1. See this thread for details.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Apr 4 2013 3:20 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

Yes there is a new driver and we've installed that - no difference unfortunately.

PC tower: 2015 machine with Thunderbolt 2. Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4Ghz. 32gb RAM. 64 bit Win7 Home Premium. Avid 8.9.1 (as of late Aug 2017). GTX 760. Raid0... [view my complete system specs]

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

• Thu, Apr 4 2013 3:21 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Do you get that " certified gpu detected " message on the splashscreen at upstart

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Apr 4 2013 4:45 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

Yes I definitely do.

I've read the note about the "bug" that requires Nvidia to be set to "3g video editing"... maybe that's the problem. I can't see that setting in the Nvidia control panel - it crashes when I try to open anything inside it.

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

• Thu, Apr 4 2013 5:18 PM In reply to

mrtveditor:

Yes I definitely do.

I've read the note about the "bug" that requires Nvidia to be set to "3g video editing"... maybe that's the problem. I can't see that setting in the Nvidia control panel - it crashes when I try to open anything inside it.

That's likely your problem then.  I'd recomend re-installing the nVidia driver with the option to do a clean install.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Thu, Apr 4 2013 5:53 PM In reply to

• Allan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Denmark
    • Posts 291
    • Points 3,545

We had the same problem when we upgrated to 6.5.

It apeared to us that QuadroFX 1500 and 1700 all thoug qualified not support full screen playback. Changing to QuadroFX 2000 sovled that problem.

We have also notised that Fulscreen playback do not work when client monitor is activated. We are using Black Magic intensive pro card to drive our client monitor.

Thats the way we solved the problem by try and error. However I will not roule out that the problem may have been solved fombling with drivers an settings.

13 edit stations Educational MC 6.5.2 in use, MC 6.5.3 under reliability test, MC 7 under consideration workflow test, dongles with troubles, AVID ISIS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:01 AM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

Thanks Allan. I don't know if changing to a lower graphics card though is a good idea :-(

Quadro 4000 should be much better than 2000?

I think there must be an issue with Nvidia drivers, or with the Avid code (as we have reinstalled the Nvidia drivers multiple times with no improvement).

I'm also finding 6.5.2 and 6.5.2 pretty unstable. Getting various IsTransition() errors and even the dreaded "freed object" error that has been present since 5.5...

They have tried re-installing Avid on a fresh system too and same GFX issues by the way.

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

• Fri, Apr 5 2013 6:14 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

It looks like this all could be an Nvidia driver problem. This thread has more about this:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/107170.aspx

I can't enable VIDEO EDITING MODE without the Nvidia control panel quitting, just as the thread above talks about.

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

• Tue, May 7 2013 1:52 AM In reply to

• Renn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • Posts 40
    • Points 520

Hey there,

I'm running into the same issue. I have recently updated to the new 6.5.2.1 patch, updated the nVidia drivers that are recommended with the patch from the avid download centre where the patch is available. I have 1 scene, 12 clips with 6 camera's running. I've multicamed all takes and will review them in the quad nine view to display all camera's rolling at once.  For some reason it's just choking periodically. It seems to stutter threw out the clip at Random points of time. It will play normally, little hick up (audio still plays fine, only a picture hick up) and continue on and it keeps on randomly do this as I reivew the clip or clips.  but it doesn't happn to all clips in the In the quad nine clips. Some times it will happen to two camera clips, 3, or 1 and some times all.  Each take is about 8 min long. 

Once the update was applied this has now began. I'm working in a 1080p 23.98 with all media DNX36. 

The system in questions is configured as such.

HP Z800 Workstation. X5670 @2.93 GHz (2 Processors)

6 terrabyte internal storage which are WD Green 2 TB drives, 64MB Cache,  (no media on the operating system so that's clear and free).

22 Gig's of RAM.

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

nVidia Quadro 4000 with a Mojo DX for my client montior

I've since tried to apply the VIDEO EDITING MODE (even as administor by switching users) in the nvidia control panel as the readme and others in this amazing fourm have suggested, but it that option will not engage. Just gives me the black flicker or the screen and does not apply the check mark (talking about under the destop menu option in nvidia control panel). Any suggestions? Much appriciated. 

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller