Latest post Tue, Apr 10 2018 11:19 AM by Telegram!. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 30 2013 11:35 AM

Go To Next Marker

I add Red Markers, I add White Markers, I add Green Markers and I add Blue Markers, too.

For me, the different colors can identify sound vs. picture, or flag problems on the fly while screening with a client, or indicate "good-better-best" for any particular content. Lots of uses.

Even though I can now "Hide" my choice of Marker colors by de-selecting any of them from the Show Markers tool within the Timeline Menu, the Go To Next Marker tool continues go to & stop at the hidden ones anyway. 

If I open up the Marker Tool and sort my many colored markers by TC & Color, I might be able to Go To the marker color I want-- but the keyboard-mapped Go To Next Marker button doesn't do a anything in that tool. The arrow doesn't help, either. Only clicking with the mouse works to make the cursor jump.

One way or another, can we please have a keyboard-capable method for jumping forwards/backwards from Marker to Marker of a particular color?

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 30 2013 11:55 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,346
    • Points 96,540

Re: Go To Next Marker

Telegram!:
    Even though I can now "Hide" my choice of Marker colors by de-selecting any of them from the Show Markers tool within the Timeline Menu, the Go To Next Marker tool continues go to & stop at the hidden ones anyway.
    Boy!  Does that look like a bug!  Or at the very least, an unexpected design feature!

Dumb.  Good suggestion, Telegram!

Telegram!:
    One way or another, can we please have a keyboard-capable method for jumping forwards/backwards from Marker to Marker of a particular color?
    +1.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 8 2018 4:45 PM In reply to

• wrtndcdgml
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 12 2015
    • Posts 4
    • Points 30

I'm a bit late for this one, but I figured out the trick for this one:

You can achieve this ONLY when hiding the markers in the "COMPOSER" window.

If you hide in the markers of one particular color (i.e.Red) in the hamburguer menu of the timeline, the position bar keeps stopping in the place where the hidden markers should be.

BUT if I hide the markers using the Composer (right click>Show Composer markers), working in the timeline, the postion bar only stops in the visible markers in the Composer window (even if the timeline shows all the markers)

This is a great way to navigate only within the markers you want.

For example, I use white markers for the clapboard, and red markers for the AD calling "Action"

I can hide the white markers and jump directly between "actions"

• Tue, Apr 10 2018 11:19 AM In reply to

I believe the very latest version of MC now has an improved Markers section, but I haven’t had a chance to see it in action yet. I just hope that moving east and west on the timeline, Marker by Marker, according to the Color of your choice can be done instantly, on the fly, with the same spontaneity that was used in the first place when choosing which color Marker to assign.

For me it’s about speed.

what I would give to have Modifuer+Hotkeys available, or at least a CYCLE button I could tap to pick a Marker Go-to color... I would map that on my keyboard between Go To Previous and Go To Next.... please!!!!!

I also think the FIND tool could be used for Color-based searches if they wanted to include it there.

I hate pull downs which are slowdowns, IMO. If I still have to, I’d rather set up multiple timeline views- one for each per Marker color - and just click what I want in Settings using a saved workspace / Layout open to Settings. Then It’s almost like a dedicated button in two steps.

Last but not least, the ability to move Marker text back and forth from Sequences to the tree of possible sources (Group Clips, Masterclips, subclips, etc.) As well as to be able to Find any Marker containing any partially remembered  Text, no matter where it is, anywhere on system.

I am hopeful we are getting there...

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller