Latest post Fri, Apr 5 2013 2:03 PM by Todd Sanderson. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 29 2013 5:41 AM

All media disappears after restarting MC 6.5.2

Hi there,

Sometimes (seems to be about 30% of time) when we copy/move a numbered MXF media folder from one Avid to another, Avid doesn't do the media scan on that folder so we have to restart the Avid software. Strangely on this particular setup, ALL the media disappears when we go back into our project. The only way we have found to solve the problem is to restart the whole computer, then all is well - but that takes time.

Anyone know a quick fix?

Refresh and Load Media Databases doesn't help, trashing the msm mdb files doesn't either. Interestingly MediaTool doesn't show any of the other projects on the system when this has occurred, even though there are several.

It's as if it can't find or mount the media drive.  It can see our media drive, but can't see any AvidMediaFiles folder on it.

Has this happened to anyone else?  It's a first for me in more than a decade of editing with Avid.

Thanks

Jonno

iMac (27", Late 2013, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB, OS X 10.12.6) Connected to 27" Thunderbolt Display, BlackMagic UltraStudio Express (10.7... [view my complete system specs]

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Fri, Mar 29 2013 6:14 AM In reply to

Re: All media disappears after restarting MC 6.5.2

In fact, just now, I quit the Avid, then realised I had one more thing to do so started it again, and all the media had disappeared again!! Nothing in the AvidMediaFiles folder had been modified in any way.

perplexed...

iMac (27", Late 2013, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB, OS X 10.12.6) Connected to 27" Thunderbolt Display, BlackMagic UltraStudio Express (10.7... [view my complete system specs]

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Fri, Mar 29 2013 8:18 AM In reply to

Sounds like permissions are getting wacked. although post #2 is perplexing.  When the media is not visible to Avid, and you try to create new media files to the drive, what happens?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Mar 29 2013 8:45 AM In reply to

I had a similar situation just last week when I noticed that I was not rendering effects to the drive I was meant to be using. Noticed that the permissions on that drive had mysteriously changed to read only and I couldn't change them back again. A computer restart allowd me to fix the permissions and the problem has not returned. maybe a OSX 10.75 problem?

Multiple Mac systems, MAC Pro, MacBook Pro's, OS Mojave, AJA IO 4K, T-Tap. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 29 2013 8:51 AM In reply to

Yes, I'm on 10.7.5 also. I think I'd better run Repair Permissions. Obviously that can be done on the system drive, but can it be done on a separate media drive? often it's greyed out when selecting a drive other than the system drive.  Or do you mean that I only need to run it on the system drive?

Are there any dangers to repairing permissions on non system drives?

thanks.

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Fri, Mar 29 2013 8:54 AM In reply to

"Get Info" on the drive, and set permissions to R/W for everyone.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Fri, Mar 29 2013 8:58 AM In reply to

Will do when i go back into work over the weekend.

Thanks very much,

Jonno

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Sun, Mar 31 2013 9:00 AM In reply to

OK, I repaired permissions on the system drive, then made all users including Everyone have Read & Write privaliges on the Media drive (it's a 2 drive raid pair).  NB, all but Everyone did, so only had to update that one.

Restarted the system, opened Avid, all good.

Quit Avid, then opened avid again and all the media had disappeared again (as before). No media folders were modified in any way, the MXF folders remained as they were prior to quitting Avid.

Created a title, this happened in the normal way, but suddenly all my media in MXF/1 appeared online, but nothing from any of the other folders (numbered 2, 3, 4, 5 etc up to 12, then some more with 8 digit numbers - NB, I have nevere ever experienced this problem before with the MXF folder and I frequently use 8 digit numbers representing the date, to searate each day's rushes in it's own media folder)

Quite odd, isn't it.  Anything else I can try?

Thanks again,

Jonno

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Sun, Mar 31 2013 2:31 PM In reply to

The charcter length is not the problem.  I've tested with longer names, and it's always worked.  Try manually deleting the two database files in the various numbered foders, forcing them to rebuild.

msmFMID.pmr

msmMMOB.mdb

(wwld)

• Mon, Apr 1 2013 12:40 AM In reply to

I didn't think it was - never been an issue before, but thought worth mentioning.

Tried trashing both the pmr and mdb files and no change. 

Interestingly when I plug in my drives from another 6.5.2 job, they show up fine. It seems the internal raids on both our macpros have the issue only, not externals. 

Interestingly, these externals used to be internals on another macpro and are now in a drive dock connected via USB.  I think that MacPro's OS was 10.7.4, not 10.7.5.

What would cause internal (non system) drives to appear empty to avid after restarting the avid software, but external drives read every time?

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:28 PM In reply to

I've also seen this..... a total computer restart is the only fix I've been able to come by.  Once you noodle with MXF folders or the media databases manually.... by adding new mxf files, etc, you're toast.  It's a 6.5 issue.... doesn't happen in any other version for me.

Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Wed, Apr 3 2013 3:59 AM In reply to

A reboot is quite time consuming.  I guess this suggests that the issue is a bug?

How do we get that sent to Avid to add to the list?  or can you do that Todd?

What could be useful is an additional menu item under Refresh and Load media DBs in the File menu for Avid to "check for new folders AND additional mxf files in folders with more rescent 'Date added' date than mdb file's 'Modified Date' in existing folders" function that would do exactly that. (kind of what I thought 'Refresh' should do, on account of its name, but have never experienced it ever doing anything in the whole 16 years I've been cutting on Avid - am I the only one?) Just a thought.

Thanks

Jonno

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Wed, Apr 3 2013 2:11 PM In reply to

I'm not so sure I feel a reboot is "quite time consuming".  One minute tops.... not the worst thing ever.  I've reported this issue to Avid already.  That said, you and I are the only two I know of to ever experience this.... I'm afraid that may not put it very high on the priority list.  It's more likely an OS anomoly than a bug.  I bet my bottom dollar that if you (or I) wipe the hard drive and re-install a fresh OS, the issue goes away.  I'll find out soon enough as I tend to do that every 3 - 5 months anyway.  I've never seen this on any other Avid in my shop and other shops I've been in.

Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Apr 3 2013 11:05 PM In reply to

It feels like 'forever' when you have the director pacing behind you  ;-)

2 additional pieces of info:

1, I have discovered that If I log out (not reboot), and log in again, start Avid, all my media returns (much quicker, but still a minor inconvenience that never existed in the past).

2, we have 3 MacPros: one is on 10.8.2, the other 2 are 10.7.5.  The 10.7.5 machines were setup about a month ago, the 10.8.2 was setup before them. They all suffer with the same issue.

Does that shed any more light on things?

Thanks

Jonno

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Thu, Apr 4 2013 1:41 PM In reply to

For me a compete system restart is the only fix.... so we differ there.

I have 4 Mac Pro based Avids and one MacBook Pro Avid.... running on 10.8.2, 10.8.2, 10.7.5, 10.6.8 and 10.4.9.  Only my edit suite.... running Symphony or MC 6.5.x on a 2012 MacPro has this issue.  All the other edit suites are fine.  Since both Symphony and MC do this, I assume its related to the OS.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller