Latest post Mon, Mar 25 2013 3:23 PM by Kevin Klimek. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 22 2013 10:00 PM

Backup System recommendations

I was wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for backing up past projects/AvidFiles/RawFiles.  I don't want to use a raid, because if that is stolen or damaged all is lost.  I was thinking of purchasing two high capacity drives and backing up to both.  What are peoples thoughts on DROBO, any issue?  I was also thinking of buying one of these to edit off of so I wouldn't have a hiccup while editing if one of the bays went down.  I'd love to hear what other editors are doing.

Mac Pro 2 X 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac OS El Capitan 16gigs memory Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4096mb [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, Mar 22 2013 10:16 PM In reply to

Re: Backup System recommendations

Cache-A LTO5 tape backup.  I use one in tandem with a media server running CatDV but the Cache-A can be used on it's own.

Daytime Gig Gear Hardware: HP Z820 32gb ram • AJA Kona LHi • Xtore 5tb RAID • NVidia Quadro 5000 • JVC 24" HD-SDI monitor • Avid Artist Color &... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 25 2013 3:23 PM In reply to

Re: Backup System recommendations

When we get a drive from a shooter, we immediately copy the entire contents to another drive.  Then we use our drive to link to the footage for the edit.  When completed, we throw any other necessary files (like color corrected footage, graphics, etc.) and LTO using BRU software (www.tolisgroup.com).

We usually keep Avid projects on DVD media for quicker access if we need to refer to older projects in new ones.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller