Latest post Fri, Mar 22 2013 4:01 PM by Pat Horridge. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 22 2013 7:05 AM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,775

Apple ProRes (HQ) to DNxHD 185x AAF for Grading Workflow?

Hi,

I edited a project using Apple ProRes 422 HQ via AMA.  I would now like to make an AAF for the colourist (the colourist for the project isn't chosen yet, so don't know what system he'll be using).  What would the best way of producing the AAF be?  The film is about 10 minutes long.  My thought is to export an AAF with a transcode to Avid DNxHD 185x.  I don't think I should loose any information, but am not 100% sure about this. On the other side, I don't have to go 1:1 10bit do I?  I think that the colourist could use the AAF to link up to the original ProRes files, but from my own experience this can be a little tricky.  Can anyone think of the best workflow for the simplest, most high quality AAF delivery?  Thanks!

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 22 2013 12:37 PM In reply to

Re: Apple ProRes (HQ) to DNxHD 185x AAF for Grading Workflow?

You can't really deliver till you know what they need.

Ideally an AFF with linked media is best as you don;t wnat to transcode to DNx unless you have to.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Fri, Mar 22 2013 2:41 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,775

I figured out how to make an AAF that could link to the AMA ProRes files (didn't know I had to check the 'AAF Edit Protocol' option in order to do this).  Even so, I still had problems relinking the the AMA files to the newly created AAF.  I'm not confident that the colourist wouldn't struggle with this as well.  Good to know you think it's potentially a problem to transcode to DNxHD.  

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 22 2013 4:01 PM In reply to

It may not be a problem to transcode but it certainly won't improve quality.

I avoid any coversions that don't have to be done.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller