Latest post Thu, Mar 21 2013 5:28 PM by bmedia. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 19 2013 6:49 AM

• CassidyD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 9 2013
    • Posts 8
    • Points 170

Setting Up a Second Console for a Story Editor - What's the workflow?

Ok so I'm on a pilot project, we have about 300 hours worth of ProRes footage (started on FCP and switched) that we have AMA linked to our project (AMC 6.5). We're attempting to isolate and copy one chunk of our footage onto an external drive and get a second Avid (this one 5.5 due to tech specs) set up in another room so our story producer and editor can work at the same time. What's the best way to do this? 

I've attempted consolidating the media but Avid says they "contained foreign compression types which could not be consolidated." So I just tried copying the ProRes files themselves with the assumption that I could "relink to AMA file" on the second console. No dice. Even though it is literally a copy the exact same file the AMA was referencing, Avid said the clip was not compatible with the original file. What should I do? 

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Mar 19 2013 10:49 AM In reply to

Re: Setting Up a Second Console for a Story Editor - What's the workflow?

Are you Mac or PC based?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Mar 19 2013 11:14 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,110
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

ProRes wasn't supported as a codec in 5.5.  You need version 6 or above to see those files.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Thu, Mar 21 2013 5:28 PM In reply to

• bmedia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Princeton, NJ
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,130

Does trancode work (vs consolidate)?

If so, you could transcode that chunk of footage to a DNXHD or an offline resolution for your story editor. Then all your editor has to do is bring the story editor's bin into the main project and relink to the original AMA footage. (I actually transcode all of my AMA HD footage to DV25 so that it can be logged and offlined by my assistant editor using a copy of Avid DV Xpress on a relic of a PC.) 

HP ZBook Studio x360 G5 / 2.7 GHz Intel Xeon E2176M / NVIDIA Quadro P1000 / 16GB RAM / WIN10 Pro / MC 2019.8 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller