Latest post Mon, Mar 18 2013 1:25 PM by gumbaedit. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 18 2013 3:51 AM

• CassidyD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 9 2013
    • Posts 8
    • Points 170

Setting Up A Second Console - Issues with Relink to AMA

I have a project that includes about 300 hours of ProRes video files (we started the project on FCP and switched) that we have AMA linked. I'm attempting to make a duplicate of this project on another station. I tried consolidation but AVID couldn't work with the ProRes files. So instead I just copied over all the source media and assumed I would be able to relink the AMA on the new station. No such luck. I keep getting an error that the relink file is not compatible with the original, but that makes no sense because it is literally a copy of the original AMA linked file. 

I tried linking to AMA volume of my new clips and then relinking because I had heard that works sometimes. No dice, same error: that the copy file isn't compatible with the original file.

My second station is running 5.5 and my first station is running 6.5, in case that makes a difference. 

Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Mar 18 2013 5:15 AM In reply to

Re: Setting Up A Second Console - Issues with Relink to AMA

CassidyD:
    My second station is running 5.5
    Does 5.5 support ProRes via AMA?

• Mon, Mar 18 2013 6:09 AM In reply to

CassidyD:

My second station is running 5.5 and my first station is running 6.5, in case that makes a difference. 

That makes a HUGE difference. MC 5.5 doesn't support ProRes.  You'd need to transcode all of the footage to DNxHD.

• Mon, Mar 18 2013 7:30 AM In reply to

Huh? 5.5 has QT AMA, so that would include ProRes. ProRes became a semi-native resolution in v6 and a native codec in 6.5, but that should not change that 5.5 would allow access to the files. Metadata should be the same, AFAIK, so a relink should be possible.

However, I would never use AMA on anything big (basically not on anything you would work on for more than a day or two).

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 18 2013 7:30 AM In reply to

Huh? 5.5 has QT AMA, so that would include ProRes. ProRes became a semi-native resolution in v6 and a native codec in 6.5, but that should not change that 5.5 would allow access to the files. Metadata should be the same, AFAIK, so a relink should be possible.

However, I would never use AMA on anything big (basically not on anything you would work on for more than a day or two).

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 18 2013 1:25 PM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,900

Make sure that the new drive with all of the copied media looks exactly the same as the original drive.  If the file structure and folder setups are the same as the original drive, and it is named the same as the original drive, the project should think that the connections are the same.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller