Latest post Thu, Jan 23 2014 12:15 AM by jpappilli. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 15 2013 9:40 PM

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 395
    • Points 5,070

Isis 5000 hardware question

Hello,

I am trying to learn more about what I can do with the Isis hardware wise. I'll be speaking soon with my Avid rep but thought perhaps the community could also provide some feedback.

I have two buildings of editors that needs to share an Isis 5000. I have fiber connecting the two locations (one of those fibers is currently connecting a fiber client on the current Unity system from across the street). 

Is it possible to 1) have a switch in building two connected to the Isis switch in building one via fiber?  2) Can one or two of the clients connect to the Isis via the regular network?  This would not be a regular thing but for occasional guest assistants, etc.

Thanks for any input regarding this.

-Cablet

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:02 PM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 13 2008
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Re: Isis 5000 hardware question

Hi Cablet,

There are a few different options.

If you don't need the setup to be "Avid Certified", then you can basically do whatever you want. You'd just need to do tests to make sure that the setup has enough bandwidth. For example, depending on your existing house switches, you could just create a new VLAN for your ISIS traffic over your existing house network. It's not technically supported - but there's no reason it wouldn't work.

However, if you want a setup that Avid will approve and support, then there are a few options:

OPTION 1:
    At the main site you would connect the ISIS 5000 to a Cisco 4900M. You could then have a Cisco 4948E at the remote site - connecting the two via 10GBASE-SR. This option is the "cleanest", but it's also the most expensive.

OPTION 2:
    At the main site you would connection the ISIS 5000 to a Dell Force10 S4810. You would then put a Force10 S25N in each building. This option is also pretty nice and tidy, but because you have three switches it's also pretty expensive.

OPTION 3:
    Surprisingly, the cheapest option if you only have a couple of systems in the second building is to just use individual fibre lines. For example, we have a ISIS 5000 + Force10 S25N in our main building, then run three fibre lines across to our second building using D-Link Media Converters to convert the 1GbE copper to fibre in building one, and fibre to 1GbE in building two. We checked with Avid before going ahead with this, and they had no issues with it.

OPTION 4:
    If the other building is only for occasional guest assistants, then technically they could be in Zone 4 on the network.

These documents might also be of some help:

- Media Workflow Platform Architecture for Avid ISIS
    - Best Practices for ISIS Networking in a Cisco environment 

Hope this helps!

Best Regards, Chris! 

• Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:53 PM In reply to

Chris, there is another...

You need to install an optical 10Gb expansion module in each switch (S50-01-10GE-2P). It is hard to find at this moment. Avid may have some but it may be cheaper to find one in your own (E-Bay). Each module has 2 10Gb ports and will require XFPs. XFPs  do not require to be a Force10/Dell brand.

If you cannot find the module itself, try looking through E-Bay for used S25 or S50 that has the module already installed. S60's 10Gb module is NOT compatible with the S25 or S50.

All you need to do is connect the 2nd switch to the primary switch via single multi-mode fiber. This is the cascading method and Avid does approve it in certain configs. This is not as good as stacking with the 12Gb module (which is useless in your case because of the cable length limit) but it should be fine for 1 or 2 chassis config. We had a 2 chassis config that supported multiple DNX145 via cascading (2) S25N.

Make sure you install the Avid  boot config for each switch.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 16 2013 12:07 AM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 395
    • Points 5,070

Thank you both for the info. This is really helpful.

-Cablet

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 16 2013 12:17 AM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 395
    • Points 5,070

If I can only use one network port per machine for the Isis do you think bandwidth could become an issue?  We only use DNxHD36 and probably have at most ever 4 streams at a time per machine with a total of 17 users max at this time.

I know the Isis 5000 can handle that but it may get complicated if I need to run two dedicated network cables per machine plus the regular site network connection.

Do most Isis 5000 installation use bonded ports? 

Thanks.

-Cablet

• Sat, Mar 16 2013 12:19 AM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Hi Dom,

Interesting! We discussed this with Avid - but basically they said they do not support or endore this cascading configuration for whatever reason. I'll have to dig back through my emails and see why they wouldn't allow it. No doubt it works fine - it just wasn't "Avid Certified".

We actually have a 10G module in the Force10 S25N, which we use to connect the ISIS to the switch, and also directly to a MacPro for LTO archiving. We would have happily dropped the MacPro 10GbE connection if we were able to run a 10GbE line directly to another S25N in the other building.

Either way, running three fibre lines still worked out cheaper than buying another S25N, so it works fine in our case.

Handy to know for future though! Thanks!

Best Regards, Chris!

• Sat, Mar 16 2013 12:30 AM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

cable:
    If I can only use one network port per machine for the Isis do you think bandwidth could become an issue?  We only use DNxHD36 and probably have at most ever 4 streams at a time per machine with a total of 17 users max at this time.

A single 1GbE connection for each machine will be fine for DNxHD36 editing. I don't think you'll have any issues.

However, if you do decide to run two 1GbE connections to each machine, it's super simple. In fact, you don't even have to do anything - as the ISIS does all the work. You don't need to change anything in the switch, you just need to connect two cables from the switch to the Mac/PC, set up the IP addresses, tell the ISIS Connection Manager to use the two ports and away you go. The ISIS software does all the "bonding" work behind the scenes.

We only have dual 1GbE connections to our assistant machines. For the actual edit suites, we only have single 1GbE connections.

• Sat, Mar 16 2013 1:01 AM In reply to

Hi Chris

Possibly it was something that was not tested during initial release of the product? Not sure.

Either way it is definitely approved as Avid sent me an image containing S60 cascaded with a S25.

The biggest warning was if running multiple networks in the same infrustructure to make sure proper VLANs are setup. And don't forget to assign a different IP for each switch since the Avid config will assign the same IP.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 16 2013 1:04 AM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Looking throught the ISIS 5000 documenation I found this:

Cascaded Switches
    Limited support has been added for cascaded switches. Avid has provided a tech note explaining the support cascaded configurations. Search the Avid Knowledge Base for “Cascading Switches on ISIS 5000” for configuration information.

...however I can't find this documentation anywhere. I'd love to read what it actually says!

Looking back at my old emails I did ask Avid if we could use a cascading switch setup (pointing them to Dom's comments on this thread), but for whatever reason they said it wasn't supported.

Very strange... 

• Sat, Mar 16 2013 1:19 AM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Dom Q. Silverio:
    Either way it is definitely approved as Avid sent me an image containing S60 cascaded with a S25.

The biggest warning was if running multiple networks in the same infrustructure to make sure proper VLANs are setup. And don't forget to assign a different IP for each switch since the Avid config will assign the same IP.

Very good to know for future - thanks Dom!

I'm going to get back in touch with Avid and our local reseller to find out why exactly they said it wasn't supported, when it clearly is. Very odd!

Luckily in our case though, 3 x D-Link Media Converters and a long fibre run works out a lot cheaper than an extra S25 + SFPs!

But for you Cablet, cascading switches is DEFINITELY worth looking into!

Once again, Avid Community Forums 1, local Avid Reseller 0.

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 12:15 AM In reply to

• jpappilli
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 27 2012
    • Posts 23
    • Points 345

Here is what I found in the Avid document you are refering too. I have not tested it to confirm..  http://tinyurl.com/qeqrssn

ISIS 5000 currently only supports client in one subnet. Therefore, if you wish to extend clients to another switch, you must cascade them together. When switches are cascaded, they remain within the same subnet. You can also stack switches, but this is not being covered here.

• When cascading switches with one or two engines, one 10 gb link is required to the second switch

• When cascading switches with 3 or more engines, you must create a channel group with two 10 Gb links.

• Wgen cascading switches, you must not mix switch vendors; Force10 to Force10 or Cisco to Cisco.

The following procedure assumes that you have two switches with the Avid default configuration loaded. If you do not have the default configuration loaded, or sourced a supported switch from the manufacturer, you must load the Avid switch configuration first. For instructions on how to connect to the supported switches and load the Avid switch configuration, see the ISIS 5000 Setup Guide.

If you have a custom IP address scheme, you may change the default configuration on the cascading switches.

When cascading switches:

Attach the ISIS 5000 engine(s) to the first switch.
    Before connecting the second 10 Gg, Telnet or serial to the second switch. Prompt: enter username/password, default is avid/avid
    Type: Enable
    - w-wgeng-F10-3#
    Prompt: enter password, default is avid
    Type: Conf
    Type: Int vlan 10
    Type: Ip address 192.168.255.253/24
    Type: Exit
    Type: Exit
    Type: Wr mem
    Attach the 10 Gb cable to the second switch.
    To test:

1. Attach a client and assign it an IP in the proper subnet.

2. Ping client from the ISIS 5000 engine.

Here is an example of the typical use case for cascaded switches. 

MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 15" w/8 GB of Ram, Media composer v6.5

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller