Latest post Mon, Apr 1 2013 2:59 AM by paichanut. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 14 2013 7:37 PM

• paichanut
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 14 2013
    • Posts 7
    • Points 90

How to convert .mov h264 to MXF DNxHD

I got a tons of footage from Canon 7D which is shoot in 1080p in h264 codec.

It took so long to import to Avid.

Any idea or any tool to convert those tons of files to avid MXF?

• Thu, Mar 14 2013 7:47 PM In reply to

Re: How to convert .mov h264 to MXF DNxHD

The general workflow is to use the Link to AMA function within Avid and have instant access to all of your files.  Then, because h264 files can easily bog down a system, you would transcode (not import) at a lower resolution and use those clips to edit.  When your edit is completed, you would relink your final sequence back to the AMA media, re-transcode to a higher resolution (just the scenes you are using plus handles) and output your project.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Mar 15 2013 5:13 AM In reply to

• paichanut
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 90

Thank you Kevin for your reply.

I got 5hrs of footage, It's take 8hrs to transcode on Max Pro 12 core 2.4 Xeon. that's still too long to prepare avid project. [:'(]

I cannot just let computer transcode over night. because all footage need to sync sound.

I still need to convert .mov h264 to mxf

I have 3 workstations with gigabit lan share in office.

If I could divide the footage to import but just copy .MXF

I'm pretty sure there will be faster if footage is on .MXF DNxHD.

Any tools or any idea?

• Fri, Mar 15 2013 12:36 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,452
    • Points 17,915

The method Kevin described is the fastest.  You may have to look at bringing in a second Avid or farming out this part of your process.

• Fri, Mar 15 2013 12:48 PM In reply to

Take care if you use an offline/online workflow as Kevin describes. For many tapeless formats it works very well and is robust and proven but early 5D cameras and some others like GoPro etc have no timecode and no UMIDs so the conform at the online stage is limited to file name and location.

And with a 5D shoot you can end up with lots of clips with the same file name. So care is needed and some sensible workflow procedures.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Fri, Mar 15 2013 2:24 PM In reply to

paichanut:
    I cannot just let computer transcode over night. because all footage need to sync sound.

Let the transcode happen overnight, then sync to the transcoded clips.  That should work just fine.

Yes, the system will be much faster if you transcode to Avid media, but it takes a bit to do so.  Note that transcode is faster than importing, and some formats with AMA are faster than others. Certainly you can divide the footage and transcode on multiple machines at once, then copy the MXF media to a single station.  (Or work in a shared storage environment.)

You'll just have to develop a workflow that meets your editorial needs.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Mar 27 2013 4:56 PM In reply to

• paichanut
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 90

Thank you for all reply with helpful comment.

I have a bit more question.

My ordinary workflow is

18.00 finish shooting

19.00 Files arrive at editing room.

19.30 copy to internal hdd for back up.

20.00 importing or transcode to avid

Finish transcode or importing on 3.00 next day

3.00 start sound sync process.

8.00 Finish avid project preparation.

9.00-22.00 > work like a zombie.

To improve my workflow.

Is that possible, If I go ahead to do group sync with AMA .mov as soon as I got rushes.

Then transcode later after finish sync process over night

Thank you.

Pai

• Wed, Mar 27 2013 11:39 PM In reply to

• Doug@Stun
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 10 2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 37
    • Points 520

We've also discovered that if h.264 is imported there is a shift in the gamma that does not happen if it's AMA'd and then transcoded.  

17-Nitris DX Media Composers 8.4 - 4 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Trashcans, 13 Harpertown MacPro 3.2Ghz 8-Core Intel Xeon Cheesegraters, Mac OS10 v10.12,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:26 AM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 526
    • Points 6,920

AMA convert, then sync.  Synching before converting can cause some headaches.  The main one being trying to check sync on clips that won't playback without skippoing.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:51 AM In reply to

How about using Sorenson Squeeze? I don't use it much myself, but I know people do use it to create DNxHD .MOV and MXF files.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Thu, Mar 28 2013 2:04 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,452
    • Points 17,915

paichanut:

My ordinary workflow is

18.00 finish shooting

19.00 Files arrive at editing room.

19.30 copy to internal hdd for back up.

20.00 importing or transcode to avid

Finish transcode or importing on 3.00 next day

3.00 start sound sync process.

Can you have an assistant run a first batch of files back to the studio for  transcoding and syncing before shooting is finished?

It's been noted here several times that AMA lnkng and transcodng is the fastest and most accurate way to handle this technically.  Now you have to design a better workflow/methodology to meet your schedule. (Also mentioned earlier.)

• Thu, Mar 28 2013 2:48 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,786
    • Points 45,350

If you really want to throw more computers at the problem then this MIGHT help:

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/69/avidmxfcreator

I have not tried it myself, just read about it.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:57 AM In reply to

• paichanut
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 90

Thank you for your suggestion.

But I'm an assistant myself.

No body can deliver any hdd during shooting.

Most of project in my Editing house is TVC. they are fast in and fast out. not every single job to do sound sync.

Usually they come after finish convert to .mov prores if shooting in RED or Alexar but some time on 7D or 5D that took time to import more than usual.

P.

• Thu, Mar 28 2013 4:54 AM In reply to

Seriously, why can't you set up some kind of batch transcode in Sorenson Squeeze that can be running in the background or on another computer?

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Thu, Mar 28 2013 1:06 PM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 526
    • Points 6,920

Also, on a 12 core machine, your ama transcode is going to be real time or faster.

Here's the thing about shoots that have fast turn around times, you have to figure out how to do things in the field to make post move quicker.  Why not make a safety copy in the field, that will save you 30 minutes at the office and when the project is done you can do the official archive.  You have 7 hours for importing listed.  Is that based on a true "import"?  If so, AMA linking and transcode will be much faster, so that will save you possibly a third of that time.

One thing you may not have control over is how much is shot.  At the end of the day, if production has shot five hours of footage on a dslr and they want it transcoded, synched and edited by 10pm the next day, then they need to rethink how they shoot (not that they ever respond well to that suggestion).

One suggestion.  It will cost some money, but in the end save your sanity, get a second license of MC.  Running the AMA transcode on two computers (one fromt the master drive and one from the backup, would save you half the time.  If you have a copy of FCP7 lying around, use it to get the discount.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller