Latest post Thu, Mar 14 2013 6:47 PM by S.Clements. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 14 2013 1:58 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,775

Need Help Relinking to AMA

Hi, Everyone 

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a relinking problem that came as a result of a workflow mistake.  

I was using an AMA to Avid DNxHD36 offline workflow, in which I linked to Apple Pro Res files via AMA. Then I duplicated the files to a new bin, trancoded the duplicates to DNxHD36 and relinked the AMA files to the transcodes.  I was mistakenly led to believe by an online tutorial that I couldn't use .new files for editing and that the only clips that could be relinked back to AMA were in fact the ones made by the original link to AMA.  So, in esence, all my AMA clips were relinked to the trancodes and ceased to be linked via AMA.

When I went to relink my edited sequence to the AMA files, I couldn't.  In Media composer 6, there used to be an option "allowing relinking to AMA", but in 6.5 that option is gone.  I don't know how to fix this.  Someone said to populate a new bin with links to the AMA files and then highlight them all and highlight my seequence and then relink selected clips in all open bins.  Unfortunately that didn't work.

Can anyone tell me how I can work around this workflow error?  It's really frustrating that the AMA clips are right there, but that I just can't relink to them.

-Scott

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 14 2013 2:53 PM In reply to

Re: Need Help Relinking to AMA

Scott:

If you hold down CMD + SHIFT (CTRL + SHIFT on PC) when right clicking on a sequence in the bin, you will get an "unlink" function. Try that first on your problem sequence and see if after that you can relink.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Mar 14 2013 3:03 PM In reply to

• Chepal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • germany
    • Posts 538
    • Points 6,290

hi scott,

my workflow is always: put all your ama_linked_files and your sequence in one bin, select all and relink with "...clips in all open bins" selected.

this worked for me with p2, h264, xdcam etc. and with transcoded_files to 1.mxf and 2.sd_omf in all mc_versions 5 - 6.5.

good luck

che

mac_mc_2020, fibre, sata, ssd [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

• Thu, Mar 14 2013 3:40 PM In reply to

I don't know if the duplicated clips is what caused the issue or not, but going forward that's a step that you can avoid. 

I have not had problems relinking to AMA using the "Selected items from all Open Bins" and have not had the need to place both a sequence in a single bin with all of the AMA clips...I've just let them stay where they were.

When you tried the workflow, did you select the original clips or the duplicated ones?

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Mar 14 2013 6:47 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,775

Hi, Guys.

Thanks for all the responses.  Thanks for the unlink tip, Larry.  Great advice.  Chepal, this eventually worked (see note below).  Kevin, unfortunately, I relinked the original clips, not the duplicated ones.

I was eventually able to relink with the option 'selected items from all open bins', but had to switch 'Source Name' to Name.  It was the only choice that worked. 

-Scott

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller