Latest post Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:34 PM by petermdowd. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:14 PM

• petermdowd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 3 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

EXPORTING FOR DVD SCREENER: BEST SETTINGS?

I am exporting a sequence to be burned to dvd using toast. What's the best formula to maintain quality of picture and sound? Export as a qucktime movie using H.264 compression? So many, many options here; I usually go this way, but wonder if there are better options. Thanks in advance!

• Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:20 PM In reply to

Re: EXPORTING FOR DVD SCREENER: BEST SETTINGS?

Export Same as Source from Avid and use encoding software to make your MPEG-2 file.  Don't rely on the Avid to compress your files for you.  (Wasteful to tie up the editing software and other programs do it much better.)

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:23 PM In reply to

Will take some time to find the right settings, but first of all, export Same As Source from Avid. Don't export to H264 or MPEG or whathaveyou, do a Same As Source. This is the most decent QT export you can do from Avid, and you're bypassing the often awful QT encoding.

Then use a third party solution to encode for DVD. Your MC will have been shipped with a license for Squeeze, so you can use that to encode, or you can use things like TMPGEnc or Adobe Media Encoder.

You will also have to take into account the color spacing issue. MC works at Rec601 (SD) or Rec709 (HD) in Studio Swing, whereas a lot of encoders unfortunately expect Full Swing. This means you would have to export from MC using the 'RGB' option. See here for a more detailed description.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:34 PM In reply to

• petermdowd
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

• Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:34 PM In reply to

• petermdowd
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller