Latest post Fri, Mar 21 2014 12:30 AM by JonBerry. 40 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 16 2013 9:07 PM In reply to

• digitalcore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • San Francisco, Ca
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,545

Re: Unity + Mountain Lion on fiber

Unity MediaEngine 5.x hardware not Lanshare 4.x

Nubus, ABVB, Meridian, DNA, DX [view my complete system specs]

http://www.digitalcore.com

• Mon, Dec 16 2013 9:24 PM In reply to

digitalcore:
    Unity MediaEngine 5.x hardware not Lanshare 4.x

Not sure that would make any difference. Unity's 5 hardware is still very old, 2007 old.

From CPU, to RAM, motherboard, RAID controller, 10GbE or 4x GigE ports, etc., the hardware is just too different without a major rewrite of the ISIS software.

ISIS is GigE UDP based SAN, where ISIS is Fiber SCSI based (even the ethernet clients are nothing more than "re-share" of fiber client workspaces).

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 16 2013 10:59 PM In reply to

• digitalcore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • San Francisco, Ca
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,545

Well, like you said, it would require development effort on Avid's part, and may be too cost prohibitive initially.

The real issue is EOL' based on timelines and OS compatabilty, rather than hardware funtionality or industry changes. Especially for something that is the backbone of a workflow.   Unity could work for 10.8 on the CLIENT side. Its an unfortunate decision not to support it. I'm sure they could have come up with a nominal upgrade fee to offset the development for 10.8 compatibility.

Nubus, ABVB, Meridian, DNA, DX [view my complete system specs]

http://www.digitalcore.com

• Tue, Dec 17 2013 12:48 AM In reply to

digitalcore:
    Unity could work for 10.8 on the CLIENT side.

It certainly could and in my experience does work. I just did two projects with one machine on ML. No problems in editing, whatsoever. The only thing that needs re-coding is the mount/unmount side of the client.

If anyone is thinking of trying to use UNITY on ML I would give this big caveat.

Be very carefull of your locally attached hard-drives. Whenever you shut down you wil 90% of time experience a full on system crash and any attached drives can be caught off-guard and could lose integrity.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 24 2013 8:01 PM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:
    ISIS is an incredible SAN. The best video SAN in my opinion.

Well ISIS 5000 is indeed a great SAN but... anyway that's beyond the point of this thread.

The question is if creating a new mountain lion compatible client for unity 5 would be profitable for Avid. While I understand Avid's move I do wonder in case of unity 5 how many systems are still in use around the world and for how many Avid was still selling support in 2013. Somehow my intuition says that many have not moved to ISIS 5000 yet... but how many?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Dec 31 2013 2:45 PM In reply to

• pcr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 2 2007
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

We purchased the Unity 5 just as ISIS 7000 was released. At that time, the 7000 was the only alternative and it was appropriate (price-wise) for Enterprise level facilities, not smaller shops like ours. Shortly thereafter, Avid EOL'd the Unity platform and we were immediately stuck with a brand new product that would freeze our Macs at 10.7.5. Now maybe three years later, we are all in the same boat because of the Fibre Manager issue. 

We are exploring thrid party storage solutions at this point. They offer more bandwitdth, cost significantly less in the short term at least, and use open standards so that we won't end up in this situation again. Having said that, I would gladly pay a fee right now for developing a workable Fibre Manager alternative to get more life out of my perfectly functioning Unity 5.

I have looked at ISIS 5500 - it's a beautiful product, Avid has set up it's user interface (SAN-wise) for editors, not engineers. Their storage just works and it's a pleasure to use, but there is a price for that I guess. It's a bit like how Apple sandboxes it's software so they have ultimate control over it. This has exceptional benefits when it comes time for phone support and I think that contributes to its depandability. 

Anyway, count my facility in as one of the "many" that have not moved to ISIS of any flavor yet...

• Wed, Jan 1 2014 7:37 AM In reply to

• Wed, Jan 1 2014 3:05 PM In reply to

pcr:
    I would gladly pay a fee right now for developing a workable Fibre Manager alternative to get more life out of my perfectly functioning Unity 5.

Hear hear...

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Jan 2 2014 6:17 PM In reply to

• JasonByfield
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 13 2009
    • Kirkland, WA
    • Posts 11
    • Points 140

Can anybody explain why every single request for an installer or instructions on how to get this working has been met with crickets?  If you have a working solution, share the knowledge please.

OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.8), Mojo DX w/ Media Composer 6.0 fibre channel to Unity MediaNetwork 5.1.3, QuickTime 7.6.6, Mid 2010 MacPro:2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 2 2014 6:33 PM In reply to

• JasonByfield
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 13 2009
    • Kirkland, WA
    • Posts 11
    • Points 140

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Somehow my intuition says that many have not moved to ISIS 5000 yet... but how many?

My facility was one of those who purchased a Unity late in the production cycle, just before the EOL announcement, so we feel we were slightly shortchanged and it left a bitter taste in our mouths about continuing with Avid hardware.  We're currently looking at alternative (and cheaper) solutions that won't lock us to using 10.6.8, the only supported OS with a stable client I've found when using the Unity.

OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.8), Mojo DX w/ Media Composer 6.0 fibre channel to Unity MediaNetwork 5.1.3, QuickTime 7.6.6, Mid 2010 MacPro:2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 21 2014 12:30 AM In reply to

• JonBerry
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 1 2013
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

I'd like to 2nd (or 3rd or 4th at this point) the request to get help on instructions on how to get Unity Media Network running on Mountain Lion. Would be VERY helpful for probably quite a few of us.

Page 3 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller