Latest post Fri, Mar 21 2014 12:30 AM by JonBerry. 40 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 17 2013 5:12 PM In reply to

Re: Unity + Mountain Lion on fiber

I've had no KPs and I can both trash drives or use Fibre Manager.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 17 2013 6:08 PM In reply to

• digitalcore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • San Francisco, Ca
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,545

I could reproduce it everytime unmounting via Fibre Mananager, or quitting while a volume was mounted.

When I dragged to the trash, i got the KP at random times. WHen it unmounted without a KP, I check the console and saw some errors. Including one stating the volume was left open.

I also noticed, in the short time I played with it, that copying seemed to be much faster.  But in general, I think Mountain Lion is faster and more stable than Lion. Similiar to how Snow Leopard was to Leopard.

brent

Nubus, ABVB, Meridian, DNA, DX [view my complete system specs]

http://www.digitalcore.com

• Mon, Jun 17 2013 9:21 PM In reply to

• digitalcore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • San Francisco, Ca
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,545

In fibre manager, do you guys have "Remount these workspaces on next login" and/or Synchronized the system clock with server checked or unchecked?

• Tue, Jun 18 2013 2:46 PM In reply to

• Jamie Beedy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 13 2007
    • Chicago, Il
    • Posts 225
    • Points 2,600

OK, after more testing, unmounting by dragging to the trash, hard crash about 90% of the time. If I umount using Connection Manager, crashes about 10% of the times. 

I don't have remount or clock sync turned on. 

I used the driver that's incuded in the MediaNet Kit. 

WIll continue to play. 

Avid Media Composer w/ Symphony Option-V8.5.2 / Mac OSX 10.9.5 / Mac Pro 4.1 - 2x2.66Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon / 24 GB DDR3 RAM Unity 5.1.3 Unity Media... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 19 2013 12:57 PM In reply to

After more use here I also find that quitting the Fibre Manager causes a crash.

It's all fine as long as I don't have to unmount workspaces.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 20 2013 10:12 PM In reply to

• JasonByfield
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 13 2009
    • Kirkland, WA
    • Posts 11
    • Points 140

James@Seamless:

Can you post the steps you took to modify the installer OR host the modified installer somewhere?

OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.8), Mojo DX w/ Media Composer 6.0 fibre channel to Unity MediaNetwork 5.1.3, QuickTime 7.6.6, Mid 2010 MacPro:2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 25 2013 1:07 PM In reply to

JasonByfield:

James@Seamless:

Can you post the steps you took to modify the installer OR host the modified installer somewhere?

I second this...  we're very interested in getting a ML comp to connect to the Unity.  The accounting deptartment is taking too long to approve an ISIS 5000 upgrade Wink

2.5 floors in Midtown NYC consisting of ~60 workstations, primarily Mac Pros with a few iMacs and Mac Minis. I include specific machine specs in my posts... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 25 2013 11:44 PM In reply to

• Jamie Beedy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 13 2007
    • Chicago, Il
    • Posts 225
    • Points 2,600

I'm hesitant to post what I did to get the installer to work, especially with the issues that I'm running into. THis feels like it's getting out there a bit too far in the unsupported catagory. 

I will say that I didn't make any modifications to the installer. Not sure what other have to the installer to get it to work. 

Avid Media Composer w/ Symphony Option-V8.5.2 / Mac OSX 10.9.5 / Mac Pro 4.1 - 2x2.66Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon / 24 GB DDR3 RAM Unity 5.1.3 Unity Media... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 19 2013 8:34 PM In reply to

• SSEdgar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 9 2007
    • Posts 42
    • Points 595

Has there been anymore news on this?

We in advertently tested this and have not had a kernal panic, but we also havnt done it more than a handful of time. Just to log on quickly and move media. 

Side note, are people having good luck with 10.7.4 ??

• Mon, Dec 9 2013 11:00 PM In reply to

• digitalcore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • San Francisco, Ca
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,545

Avid is shooting themselves in the foot for not supporting 10.8 on Unity or beyond.

Infrastructures will look elsewhere for a shared solution.

The hardware is capable. Why not offer a solftware update from Unity to ISIS?  Swap in a gigabit card and go.

• Mon, Dec 16 2013 2:55 PM In reply to

I am greatly in need of this hack.  Can you send me how you did it and what I would need to try it out?  Thanks for the out of the box thinking.  I am running 9 Mac towers currently running 10.7.4 but I need to upgrade to 10.8 for using a tape backup system.

Todd

• Mon, Dec 16 2013 3:36 PM In reply to

SSEdgar:

Side note, are people having good luck with 10.7.4 ??

We've been running over a dozen workstations with 10.7.5 on our Unity system and haven't had any major issues.

digitalcore:

Avid is shooting themselves in the foot for not supporting 10.8 on Unity or beyond.

The hardware is capable. Why not offer a solftware update from Unity to ISIS?  Swap in a gigabit card and go.

What do you mean "and beyond"?  Are you aware that the Avid ISIS systems support Mountain Lion 10.8?  While I was hoping to get ML support for use with our Unity, we have since made the descision to replace it in the next month or 2 with EditShare. The reasons for this is not because of Avid's reluctance to support Mountain Lion on Unity.

2.5 floors in Midtown NYC consisting of ~60 workstations, primarily Mac Pros with a few iMacs and Mac Minis. I include specific machine specs in my posts... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 16 2013 5:42 PM In reply to

digitalcore:

Avid does not sell Unity anymore and I would surmise most current owners are not buying support. This means there is NO revenue generated by the product or at least not enough to justify development and QC.

Unity to ISIS software is probably not possible. The hardware is fundamentally too different.  64 bit vs 32 bit. Modern CPU vs  4-5 generations old CPU. 12 GB vs 4GB of RAM. ISIS software is based on LSI RAID vs 3ware on Unity. Ethernet GigE vs Fiber SCSI.

ISIS is an incredible SAN. The best video SAN in my opinion.

MC 2019.12, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 16 2013 5:45 PM In reply to

• digitalcore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • San Francisco, Ca
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,545

Dan Bedford:
    we have since made the descision to replace it in the next month or 2 with EditShare.

My Point exactly.  40k for an upgrade to be able to use 10.8 for a working infrastruture is rediculous. Especially if going grom 4GB fiber to 1gig iSCI.  Hence, we are also  looking at a NON-AVID solution as well. 

OS Updates happen, and happen frequently. A SAN solution should be a long long term investment with a Software company capable of keeping there product current via software. It has greater ramifications when they just "EOL" it. Especially perception. 

Why not sell a software upgrade for existing Unity 5.x infrastructures?  Unity to ISIS software update. The hardware can handle it. Or better yet, just write the drivers to work with 10.8! 10.8 gave us stability, 64bit and 64 BIT Quicktime and GPU drivers. EVERYTHING we needed for our industry.

• Mon, Dec 16 2013 6:03 PM In reply to

digitalcore:
    Why not sell a software upgrade for existing Unity 5.x infrastructures?  Unity to ISIS software update. The hardware can handle it.

The hardware can't handle it. The core hardware is too different.

MC 2019.12, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller