Latest post Mon, Feb 18 2013 2:50 PM by Gregory Pettys. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 15 2013 8:16 AM

• Clarice
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 28 2009
    • Posts 21
    • Points 295

new pc laptops have no firewire ports - any good firewire to usb adapters

Hello friends

I am currently residing in South Africa and I am struggling to purchase a new PC laptop , (with MC6.5 specifications,) with either a firewire port or a PCI slot, I have asked a few computer dealers and they all say that firewire has become obsolete .... very frustrating the laptops only come with usb 3.0 ports and 1 usb 2.0 port as well as a hdmi output only port.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

If so did you manage to find a good firewire to usb adapter?

I found that pinnacle make a studio moviebox which would be perfect but I don't know if it will work with avid, does anyone know if it does?

A little help would be greatly appreciated.

• Fri, Feb 15 2013 1:21 PM In reply to

Re: new pc laptops have no firewire ports - any good firewire to usb adapters

The HP Elitebook portable workstations all have a built in FireWire port along with E-Sata, usb3, and express card 54 slots and are Avid certified. 

System 1: HP Z400, 3.20G Quad Core, Quadro 4000, 250G SSD system drive,Windows 7 64, MojoDX w/active hib, 6G ram, Cal Digit VR ESATA Raid, Recommended... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 15 2013 2:16 PM In reply to

Unfortunately, that's a tough reality these days.  Firewire/USB adapters do not exist, they're totally different interfaces.  The Pinnacle MovieBox is an older product - it has never worked with Media Composer anyway.

Some options - for I/O, instead of FireWire, some newer devices use USB3 - Blackmagic is among them, but beware, read the fine print and check very carefully - many of these devices ONLY support specific chipsets, so even though a computer might have USB3, it might not be supported.

Mac + Thunderbolt is a good way to go these days as well.

There are computers with ExpressCard slots out there - useful for many of the I/O units that are in current use.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 15 2013 2:23 PM In reply to

• Clarice
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21
    • Points 295

Thanks guys

very disheartening....the HP laptops look good but are a bit out of my price range :( and if i was to buy a mac could i change my mc6.5 pc to mac ?

• Fri, Feb 15 2013 2:39 PM In reply to

Yes - MC, unlike Adobe CS, is platform-independent.  Move your license between computers all you want, as often as you want - Mac or Windows, doesn't matter!  The only rule is that you can only have it activated on one computer at a time.

The new Macs with Thunderbolt are great - there are many Thunderbolt drives and I/O interfaces out there.  In addition, you get USB3, and all kinds of other things via available adapters - Firewire, eSATA, PCI, etc.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 15 2013 3:42 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,173
    • Points 23,315

it's the same license I beleve as I run it on both pc and mac on one license just one at a time

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Fri, Feb 15 2013 5:50 PM In reply to

• David Clarke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 13 2010
    • Brighton, Sussex, UK
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,270

There are some chassis from a Taiwan company called Clevo (http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/index.asp) which are used by a lot of system builders which still have FireWire sockets and are a lot cheaper than HP.  Of course they are not Avid-validated laptops like HP.  You may be able to find a resellar in South Africa from their website.

We have tried some USB to FireWire adaptors (my company makes Editing systems) and they were all rubbish I am afraid.

Laptop - Haswell desktop processor, 16GB RAM, 970m NVidia graphic card. Desktop - 2011 pin Haswell-E processor, 16GB RAM, Thunderbolt, Blackmagic UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 16 2013 1:25 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,667
    • Points 47,055
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Unfortunately, Firewire is percieved as dead, so noone wants to manufacture a converter. It's not that it's technically impossible, or even difficult (there are HD SDI to USB 3 converters), and the USB 3 interface is more than fast enough to convert from stream (firewire) -> packet (USB 3) -> stream (firewire driver) and present the stream in real-time for capture (or as near to RT as it is now). But without a market, we're unlikely to see a vendor make one. So what we need to do is to convince the vendors that the millions of existing cameras with firewire, while a legacy market, is still a viable one.

Short of that, stick to laptops with Expresscard interfaces. You can still find these (not many, but HP still has them). Or wait until Thunderbolt becomes prevalent in the PC market. You should start to see these relatively shortly. Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters already exist (at least for the Apple; I've not seen any reports on whether or not Apple's adapter will also work for a PC with Thunderbolt; I suspect that physically it will, but it remains to be seen if the drivers support it).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sat, Feb 16 2013 4:27 PM In reply to

• sasha1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 394
    • Points 5,240

I've used USB 2 when forced to, and it's worked...

Avid 1: HP Z420. Quadro 4000, Motu, MC 7.02. Avid 2: Dell T3400 - Core 2 Quad 2.83 - 8GB RAM - Quadro K2000 - Matrox Mini - MC 7.02 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 18 2013 11:48 AM In reply to

• Clarice
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21
    • Points 295

Thanks everyone for your advice I will consider it all while I make my decision on what to do :)

• Mon, Feb 18 2013 2:50 PM In reply to

I have had good luck buying either used (but like new condition) or refurbished machines on Ebay and Amazon, also Tiger direct sells used machines. Just make sure if there is a problem you can send it back. I had one HP Elite book which had an issue and sent it back to Tiger Direct for a full refund. The refurbished machines come with a standard warranty. Why buy new. Its like a car, the minute you drive it off the lot its worth half as much.

Greg

HP Z800- 2 Xeon Quad Core Processors 2.93 GHZ,24 GB Ram, 2 X 1TB 7.2 RPM sata internal drives, Windows 7, sp1, 64-bit Avid MC 7.0.2 - Matrox Mini-02,NVidia... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller