Latest post Tue, Feb 12 2013 12:08 PM by Job ter Burg. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 12 2013 11:17 AM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,775

Dealing With Set Audio Recorded at Extremely Low Volume

Hi,

I must admit, I'm finding Avid's audio capablities very confusing and extremely difficult to use.  You have The Audio Mixer (which is good, but can only boost your signal by 12db), You have the real time RTAS tools (but they have to be applied to the whole track in the timeline) and you have the Audio Suite Plugins (which I find very difficult to use, because you have to render them all the time - unlike most audio plugins in FCP)  

What do you do if the audio recorded on set is so low that you can't hear it well enough to judge anything, even when you have the mixer boosted all the way up to 12db?  

In FCP, you could put a simple normalization gain filter on the clip in the source monitor which required no render time whatsoever.  In Avid, I don't see any way of using the Audio Suite plugins or the RTAS plugins to boost the audio before it hits the timeline.  Of course you could dump all of your audio into the timeline and manipulate it there, but this is very messy and wasteful of time.

What is the best way to have the audio at an aceptable level before it hits the timeline?

P.S.  There doesn't appear to be an RTAS gain plugin.  Do you just use the RTAS compressor set at 1:1 instead?

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 12 2013 11:40 AM In reply to

Re: Dealing With Set Audio Recorded at Extremely Low Volume

If you open the AudioSuite tool (not the RTAS but the regular one), then drag your low volume clip onto the AudioSuite tool, it will switch to Master Clip mode, and if you then select the Normalize plugin and render it, you will get a new, normalized copy of the clip which you can use as a source clip.

Normalizing will always require processing, as it needs to look at the entire clip or segment before it can establish the loudest peak in there.

I bet you could use the compressor at 1:1 to achieve a gain. Not sure why Gain is not in the RTAS palette. I'm also a fan of the L2007 brickwall limiter by Massey plugins.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 12 2013 11:48 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    If you open the AudioSuite tool (not the RTAS but the regular one), then drag your low volume clip onto the AudioSuite tool, it will switch to Master Clip mode, and if you then select the Normalize plugin and render it, you will get a new, normalized copy of the clip which you can use as a source clip.

Nice tip, Job!

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Feb 12 2013 11:54 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,775

Thanks for the advice about mastering.  Wow, though... that's a fair bit more awkward than in FCP, which you just slapped the normalization gain on and you were good to go.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 12 2013 12:08 PM In reply to

Yes, they apparently spent a lot of time and effort NOT bringing too much of Pro Tools' functionality to Media Composer. With RTAS being EOL and PT moving to AAX/Native, I'd love to see what they plan for MC.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller