Latest post Sat, Feb 9 2013 8:40 PM by Andrew. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 9 2013 6:10 PM

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 25 2012
    • Texas
    • Posts 18
    • Points 210

AMA Linked media goes green during playback

Hello all!

I am currently editing a project in which I have linked to h.264 files via AMA. The project is relatively short and simple so I have decided not to transcode the media but rather edit with the linked h.264 files (I realize this isn't ideal, however the project is short). 

Everything is running smoothly but occasionally the media in my record monitor goes to a blank green screen during playback. The files are properly linked yet Media Composer seems to lose them momentarily. When I close the project and re-open, the media will play back fine. However, after some time it begins doing it again. I have tried deleting the preference files in the MXF folder as well as isolated the project's media to a new subfolder ("2" instead "1").

I can still work but it is slowing me down significantly to keep restarting every 5-10 minutes.

Is this just the result of Media Composer's finicky AMA? Should I just take the time to transcode the media to a more suitable format for editing? or something else I can try?

27" iMac 3.4 Intel Core i7 (mid 2011 12,2) Media Composer 7.0.3 Pro Tools 1 After Effects CS6 Photoshop CS6 Lightroom 5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 9 2013 8:29 PM In reply to

• Strypes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 31 2011
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,710

Re: AMA Linked media goes green during playback

I've not seen it in Avid before, but I've seen it in FCP. Usually it means system resources are taxed. Perhaps it's different in Avid. But from the looks of it, it looks like you may be runing out of RAM or your processors may not be beefy enough for H.264 editing with Avid's AMA. You can try monitoring RAM usage with AtMonitor or Activity Monitor.

http://www.atpurpose.com/atMonitor/index.html

If you are indeed running out of RAM working with AMA, transcoding to DNxHD would be a good option.

• Sat, Feb 9 2013 8:40 PM In reply to

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 25 2012
    • Texas
    • Posts 18
    • Points 210

Re: AMA Linked media goes green during playback

I appreciate the reply!

I have checked and my RAM is never over 50% during editing. The "green screen" in the record monitor is per clip, as some clips are not affected. However there doesn't seem to be any correlation between certain clips that are not working. It appears completely random. 

From the nature of the problem it seems to me to be an issue with AMA locating the files. The project starts with everything working and eventually it loses them (or confuses them with other clips ??).

27" iMac 3.4 Intel Core i7 (mid 2011 12,2) Media Composer 7.0.3 Pro Tools 1 After Effects CS6 Photoshop CS6 Lightroom 5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller