Latest post Wed, Jan 23 2013 10:34 PM by Damien LeVeck. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 22 2013 8:27 PM

Master Clips won't relink

Here's the situation:

I created a 1080p/23.976 project in MC 6 and AMA'ed in a bunch of H.264 footage shot on the 5D.  The footage was evenly split between 24fps and 29.97fps, so I went with 24.  As you know, this means that the 29.97 clips have to be converted.  I have no intention of ever going back to the original h.264 files, so it wasn't an issue.  Everything came in fine, and I started editing.  

I then needed to have access to this media and project at my office where they're running MC 5.5.3.2.  So, I consolidated all of the media to an external hard drive and copied the project/bins over.

When I get to the office, the project opens without a problem, and 98% of my clips relink without issue.  However, on some of the clips, the video won't relink.  Audio relinks fine.  All the clips that won't relink are 29.97 footage.  

Things I've tried to get these clips back online: 

• Re-Transcoding the entire clip.  It still won't relink to the original converted masterclip. 
    • Dropping only the video track of the AMA clip into a sequence and transcoding that.  
    • Deleting the msm files from the AvidMedia Files folder
    • Loading media databases
    • Every permutation of the Relink Dialogue options you can think of
    Thanks for whatever help or ideas you can provide.  Uli

Lenovo P710 Windows 10 Pro Dual Xeon E5-2643 v4 3.4GHz (6-core) 64 GB RAM NVIDIA M4000 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Jan 22 2013 10:53 PM In reply to

Re: Master Clips won't relink

Do you have more than just the "1" folder inside the MXF folder? If so, you need to delete the two msm files from EACH numerical folder you have to totally rebuild the media database. Just taking a long shot here, because completely rebuilding the media database should have relinked everything as long as the media files are still on the drive(s).

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 3:46 AM In reply to

• Dennis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 6 2009
    • Posts 76
    • Points 850
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Have you tried creating a new bin and draging the db file into the bin to see if the missing clips load?

Have you compared all the metadata at the bin level of the clips that link with the same clips that don't link? Length of clip, frame rates etc. 

I believe your project is on an external drive.  Have you taken that drive back to the MC 6 computer to see if they will link to the original project file on the original computer? 

Have you tried copying the Avid MediaFiles folder or MXF files to the new drive instead of consolidating?  Please let us know what you found out.  I teach and some beginning students (and advanced) mix frame rates and this information may be helpful. 

MacBook Pro Retina 16 gig ram, Mac Pro 12 core, 16 gig Ram. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 23 2013 10:34 PM In reply to

Dennis :
    Have you tried creating a new bin and draging the db file into the bin to see if the missing clips load?

I'm not familiar with this.  Could you explain what you mean?  Create a new bin then drag one of the msm files from AvidMedia Files/1 into that bin?

Dennis :
    Have you compared all the metadata at the bin level of the clips that link with the same clips that don't link? Length of clip, frame rates etc. 

It's a random assortment of 29.97 fps clips.  When I peak into the AvidMedia Files folder, I see several files with the same or similar filenames.  In fact, in this project, which was shot on the 5D, there are numerous files with identical file names.  This happens a lot when people aren't taking care while shooting to make sure the camera produces unique file names (a setting that can be changed in the menu).  

Dennis :
    I believe your project is on an external drive.  Have you taken that drive back to the MC 6 computer to see if they will link to the original project file on the original computer? 

Everything links to the original media on my home system with MC 6 without a problem.  I haven't tried linking to the external drive at home, but there's not much point in doing that for my purposes.  

Dennis :
    Have you tried copying the Avid MediaFiles folder or MXF files to the new drive instead of consolidating?

No.  It's best, IMO, to let Avid handle media management.

For your class, I would first tell them: there is no GOOD way to deal with multiple frame rates--ever.  Before begining a project, you should always run tests to see what works best in terms of conversion, but without a doubt, you need to convert all of your footage to be the same.  In my case, i converted a bunch of 29.97 to 23.98 via AMA in MC 6.  For the most part, it worked fine.  But next time, I will probably convert the files outside of Media Composer using Compressor or Adobe Media Encoder, then bring them into Avid via AMA as completely separate clips.   

Regarding the issue of identical file names, I got some valueable information from an AE friend.  He renames every "tape" dumped from the camera to have a unique name.  Then, he painstakingly renames every clip in the Finder to "tapename.01" "tapename.02" and so on and so forth.  

Then, in Avid, you AMA in the clips--all the same format--and, transcode to your desired codec.  When that's done, move your ".new" transcodes into their own bin (and stash them away, you won't edit with these).  Next, unmount the drive with the AMA-linked clips.  They will now appear "offline" in Avid.  

Now, for both the "offline" AMA-linked clips and the ".new" transcodes, modify the clips to "Set Source" and assign a Tape that corresponds with the unique tape name you gave the footage directory on the Finder level.  

Once you've done that, select all the "offline" AMA-linked clips and Relink them to the media on your media drive (not the AMA'ed original files).  These are now your master clips that you'll edit with. 

AMA is vastly improved in MC 6, so there are fewer relinking issues.  However, what this does is, it ensures that if you were to move to an MC 5 system (as I did), and clips don't relink, MC has the option of relinking by Tape Name, which is another piece of metadata that you've added to each master clip.  Otherwise, Avid could only rely on timecode and file name, which there could be duplicates of otherwise.

Hope this makes sense and helps you. 

Uli

Lenovo P710 Windows 10 Pro Dual Xeon E5-2643 v4 3.4GHz (6-core) 64 GB RAM NVIDIA M4000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller