Latest post Tue, Jan 1 2013 9:30 AM by CliveSmith. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 28 2012 11:37 AM

• CliveSmith
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 22 2006
    • South Africa
    • Posts 306
    • Points 3,620

Fresh Install Of XPro 5.7

I am aware that this product is EOL'd and very old, but would appreciate some help please...

I decided to reformat an XW8200 as it has been really slow for some time now (it was originally setup 5 or 6 years ago).

I reformatted the internal drive and reinstalled XP.  I then went to install XPro Studio (only bothering to install Xpress and Protools).

The issue that I have now with Xpress is that I get an error message on bootup, saying "can't find any audio cards in your system.  You will not be able to play audio".

It is obviously a driver-related issue, but can't remember what audio driver needed to be installed!

The setup is an HP XW8200 (bought from Avid in this country), with Digi002 and SD Mojo.

Protools seems to be running fine.

I seem to remember that I might have had an MAudio driver installed, but can't remember if this is what is needed.  I installed it straight from the original installer disc and thought that all the drivers would have been installed in the process.

If anyone can remember that far back and help - I would appreciate it!

• Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:23 PM In reply to

Re: Fresh Install Of XPro 5.7

Under device manager do you see any items with a yellow warning?

Bit late now but I'd advise never to reformat an OS disk. For the cost of a new HDD for the OS it's far safer to keep the old one so you can use it in this sort of case to find out what you missed. Also drives age and fail. Why use an old one when a newer faster one is so cheap.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jan 1 2013 9:30 AM In reply to

• CliveSmith
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 22 2006
    • South Africa
    • Posts 306
    • Points 3,620

Re: Fresh Install Of XPro 5.7

The reason that I reformatted, is because of XP's ability to degrade over time.  It has become so slow over the years, that it is virtually not practical to use, so a reformat and reinstall was essential.

I did ghost the drive before I reformatted as a safety.

I have sorted out the audio issue (it was a driver issue and found the installer on my original discs).

I now have another issue, though :(  My original purchased discs went back to the day when it was called Xpress Studio HD - version 5.2.1.  When the agents installed Studio, we fell into the numerous bugs that were evident in this version.  The agents then went through a process of updating as and when new releases became available, until we found a stable release, which was version 5.7 of Xpress and version 7.3.1 Protools.  I made sure that they left installers for the correct versions that we settled in (ie. 5.7 & 7.3.1).

Having reinstalled XP, Xpress Pro and Protools, Xpress runs perfectly, but Protools will not import an AAF from XPro with the video track.  I get an error saying "video not compatible with current session".

I have double checked that Digi Translator and DV Toolkit 2 have been installed.  In the Protools session, I can switch to timecode view, which is part of the Toolkit.  The iLok is installed and seen on the system.

Any ideas what might be causing this and thanks for the help?

Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller