Latest post Sun, Dec 23 2012 3:39 PM by S.Clements. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 21 2012 6:57 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Want to Relink to .Sync Clips, but can only relink to .New Clips

Hi,

I'm using Media composer 6.5 on macbook pro (Mountain Lion).  This is a difficult problem to explain, so I hope you can follow.  

I'm using an offline workflow that starts with linking to ProRes quicktimes via AMA and then transcoding to Avid DNXHD 36.  This creates .New clips.  However, I've heard many times to relink the original clips (not the newly created .new clips) to the new DNxHD 36 transcodes and then edit with the original clips.  

Sound was recorded seperately.  So, I created also created .sync clips which I used to edit with.

When I thought I was read for onlining, I tried to relink all the clips in the sequence to the original prores files, but I think I did it incorrectly and had many troubles relinking to the prores files.

So, I tried relinking back to the DNxHD 36 files and (after many more troubles) was successful at it, however the timeline is now a mishmash of .new, .sync and regular clips, instead of the .sync clips I mostly used. I can't seem to get what were originally edited in as .sync clips back to their original state without going through and eyematch editing in every shot from scratch.  The only reason I'm considering doing this is to have the flexibilty to call up the .sync clips from the timeline.

Is there any solution to quickly recover from this mess I've created, or is my only option to edit in .sync clips one at a time?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

-Scott

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Sat, Dec 22 2012 8:06 AM In reply to

Re: Want to Relink to .Sync Clips, but can only relink to .New Clips

Hide the Avod Mediafiles from your system by renaming the Avid MediaFiles foldrrs. Then open your project and relink to the AMA'd APR files. 

You should also be able to relink all your Sync clips rather than the sequence (which already is linked to your sync clips, so doing that will make your sequence linked to the AMA'd APR files)

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 23 2012 11:09 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Thanks.  Before I got this, I just re-edited in the .sync clips manually.  But, I had already tried this before.  When I tried to relink the sequence to the DNxHD 36 files, Avid arbitraily chose which instance (clip) of that media file to represent in the timeline.  Some it kept as .sync.  Others it changed to .new and still others had no extension at all.  So, if I did a match frame from the sequence, it would not always necessarily load a picture and sound synced image into the source monitor.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 23 2012 11:23 AM In reply to

Yes unfortunatley the AMA re-link process isn't as user friendly yet as it needs to be so Jobs advice to hide Avid media is the best route for now until we get proper control over the re-linking.

There are a number of posts of folks transcoding clips and then relinking that media to the original clips but it's not a required step and potnetially could cause issues later (I don't know for sure and never have to do it myself)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Sun, Dec 23 2012 3:39 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Thanks, Pat.  Good to know that you think using .new clips is alright.

-Scott

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller