Latest post Tue, Apr 30 2019 3:32 PM by Parallaxrider. 26 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 6 2014 5:12 PM In reply to

• scene24
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 7 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 110

Re: Blackmagic Mini Monitor audio output MC 6.5

kellyv:

Hi there,

Was thinking of getting the Mini Monitor for use with my Retina Macbook. Running 7.0.3 and Mavericks 10.9.1. Any issues with this if you have experience on these versions?

And I too would like to use the audio jack from the Macbook. Did Black Magic change anything to allow this?

Thx

Well, I haven't tested it on Mavericks, since I still run ML. Is AVID running smoothly on 10.9.1?

As for AVID 7.0.3, I haven't experienced any problems, so it should work perfect. Although you cannot separate audio and video outputs yet. This is an AVID option that still hasn't been addressed. Audio will play out of HDMI or SDI by default. You will have to loop back from your monitor or breakout to change source.

15" Macbook Pro with Retina Display: Intel Core i7 @2.3Ghz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Nvidia GeForce 650m 1GB Avid Media Composer 6.5 Blackmagic Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 6 2014 6:03 PM In reply to

• Nick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 9 2013
    • London
    • Posts 18
    • Points 180

Hey,

I bought the black magic box last year but after a few days usage I returned it and got the AJA io xt for a few reasons.

i like the option of having full control of my audio output. If I remember correctly I couldn't use my laptops audio out therefore no use of headphones unless you want to plug them into the tv,s jack out.

the other reason is that I'm sure there's a bit more of a frame delay on the tv which I find a bit annoying because the audio out of the tv is then out of sync with my laptop monitor. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. Although there is the option if counter balancing that by frame delaying your laptop monitor but this got to me cause it felt a bit strange having to wait 2 frames for my film to play after pushing play and when you're trimming a lot it gets a bit annoying.

I should say that I haven't paid the AJA box off yet as I don't get to use it that often not being on set much these days but I like to know I will have a few less worries when the day calls and the pressure is on :)

I stand to be corrected on the above info but that's what I remember from my experience with both boxes.

Nick

Macbook Pro, 2.6 GHz, i7, 16GB DDR3, 500GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 6 2014 6:25 PM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

From Scene24
    Well, I haven't tested it on Mavericks, since I still run ML. Is AVID running smoothly on 10.9.1?

I have been running Avid 7.0.3 on two systems using Mavericks (New MBP Retina and 2008 Mac Pro). I feel that transcode times take a lot longer on my older Mac Pro system now for some reason, but could be just me. Other than that it has been working fine. There is a disply mirroring issues that is a known bug. I'm sure there are other kinks.

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Mon, Oct 19 2015 8:46 PM In reply to

I just got the card running on my 2010 Mac Pro, and I'm going to be sending it back.  I finally got the video feed to work, but to have the Decklink completely hijack my audio is ridiculous.  Even if I was cool with monitoring my audio through my HDTV (I'm not, I have a USB Mbox with great speakers), when I try to record audio into Avid, the Decklink is the only device that shows up in the input menu -- and by definition it's not an input device.  This is a really bad shortcoming for this product, and I can't believe they haven't figured out a solution.  Media Composer simply doesn't let you send audio and video out to seperate devices.

• Mon, Oct 19 2015 9:33 PM In reply to

One, probably unacceptable, option would be to switching the Mini Monitor hardware on and off in MC. You will lose the client monitor when off but should be able to use your USB audio or the Mac's stereo or optical output for audio and be able to configure audio inputs.

With the slightly more expensive BM options (like Intensity Pro 4K) you can choose between HDMI or analog in and output. This allows you to send audio to an audio amp and the video to a screen (with component or composite inputs)

• Mon, Oct 19 2015 9:47 PM In reply to

This would be acceptable if it were just flipping a switch.  But the PCI card takes over the Avid audio completely, so I'd have to remove it every time I want to record into Avid.

The Thunderbolt hardware is great, but I'm trying to wring a few more years out of a 2010 Mac Pro, which only has USB2.  It's also a lot more expensive.

• Mon, Oct 19 2015 10:06 PM In reply to

pretzelcuatl:
     But the PCI card takes over the Avid audio completely
    Are you sure? You should be able switch MC to software only (software switch beside the meters above your timeline) and then use the systems preferences to choose your Audio input. That should allow you to use Avid's punch in to record.  (do not use it myself)   Frequently flip between using MC as software only or hardware IO using PCI Decklink extreme 3D on a Mac Pro (that is usually but not at present ) here.

• Mon, Oct 19 2015 10:40 PM In reply to

This sounds like a potential answer, but I can't find the button that lets me disable external hardware (I'm in MC 8).

• Tue, Oct 20 2015 1:35 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Take a look at the other thread you posted about this issue.

I'm going to hold off on merging these threads, but in the future, please don't start a new thread on the same subject as it makes it difficult for others to find answers.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sat, Apr 1 2017 1:46 AM In reply to

• Leo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 14 2011
    • Berlin
    • Posts 38
    • Points 370

I still have the same problem in MC 8.1. did this never change?

2017 iMac i7 24GB RAM 8GB Radeon 580. OSX Mojave. 2011 MBP i7 16GB RAM AMD HD 6750M 1GB Video. OSX 10.11.5 Avid MC 8.8.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 1 2017 11:09 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Not likely.  Avid has always (and is likey to continue to) used the hardware I/O for both Audio and Video.  Back in the "old" days when outputs went to tape this was necessary to get both picture and sound to the recorder.  As you are likely to discover, processing time added to decode video at the monitor can result in noticable delays.  Embedded audio at least allows the sound and picture to arrive at the receiving device in sync and hopefully the manufacturer has made design choices that keep them in sync.  Some monitors that can decode embedded audio can compensate for those delays.  I've experienced 2 frames of delay with a LCD TV using a HDMI input to more than double that with a certain OLED professional monitor.  If you can send the audio out of the Mac and the video to a monitor seperately chances are they're not in perfect sync.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Apr 30 2019 3:32 PM In reply to

• Parallaxrider
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 16 2013
    • Bournemouth/London, UK
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Thank you soundbase, this worked for me!

I'm cutting on MC 8.6.4 on a MacBook Pro and using an Ultrastudio Mini Monitor via Thunderbolt 2 to HDSDI to view the external video on a TV Logic display. When cutting on Adobe Premier I can use this set up to monitor external pictures and run a cable from the Mac to my mixer and Genelec speakers. In Media Composer, with the hardware activated I had video but no audio.

Now after seeing your post, with a similar HDMI converter, I have been able to take an HDMI out from the Ultrastudio into the converter and phono audio only out from the converter to my mixer. I now have pictures and audio monitoring in sync.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071HN68RF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you!

MBP 15" Retina, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM. [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller