Latest post Mon, Dec 17 2012 10:48 AM by Pat Horridge. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 17 2012 9:02 AM

• The ARSENO
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 11 2012
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Keeping DSLR Footage Levels Same as Source

Hi everyone,
    I am sure it's been discussed 1000000 times, but searching the forums I could not find the simple answer I need.
    I have a 10min presentation to finish, the client needs it to be done very fast and I am not going to do any color grading on it, I was planning to keep the files as they come out from the camera (T2i) with the same contrast they have, but when I convert them to DNxHD or even without converting if I import the files to any application they appear to have very low contrast. (I tried keeping them RGB and pushing them down to 16-235 the result is the same).
    So please help to find the best way to keep the files contrasts as they come out from the camera not losing time adjasting them again.
    Thank you all in advance. 

• Mon, Dec 17 2012 10:48 AM In reply to

Re: Keeping DSLR Footage Levels Same as Source

If you AMA the files you shoudl get the option to use set source settings to alter the level mapping (which is default, Expand or contract)

If you have external WFM connected you can look at the source AMA clips and check the levels and chaneg the set source settings as required.

If you don't then drop a clip into a temp sequence and go into color corrector mode and use the Y waveform display in there to check the clip.

Of course it's also possible the camera has been set to a low contrast shooting mode in which case you would have to grade it anyway.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller