Latest post Fri, Dec 7 2012 12:09 AM by Randall L. Rike. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 6 2012 9:45 PM

• Lenny V
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 29 2012
    • NYC
    • Posts 27
    • Points 365

Question regarding importing files with vid and audio into Avid MC

Hey guys

I have searched everywhere for an answer and simply couldn't find anything so I apoligize if this is an elementary question but here goes:

We are running Avid Unity with multiple partitions, one per project. Sometimes an assistant editor would import a file that has video and audio, and the audio would mistakingly end up on another drive. So audio shows up offline while video shows up online when proper drive is mounted. My question is, is there any way that I can check the metadata to see which drive the audio was imported to?

This would save me the trouble of mounting all our drives (about 60 of them) to try and figure out which one has the audio.

Our specs are. Avid Unity

Media composer 4.0.5

Macs and PC's

Work: MacPro quad core 2.66ghz XEON 6GB Ram AVID MC 4.0.5 Home: Macbook Pro 15" 2011 2.0ghz 12 gb ram Avid MC 6.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 6 2012 10:31 PM In reply to

Re: Question regarding importing files with vid and audio into Avid MC

I'm going to move this to the Unity Work Groups Forum so our Unity gurus can get a look at it.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Dec 6 2012 10:52 PM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 13 2008
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

The last known wereabouts of the media can be found in a "Drive" bin column.

Make sure your editors check the "Media Creation" settings prior to cutting. 

• Thu, Dec 6 2012 10:58 PM In reply to

• Lenny V
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 27
    • Points 365

Thanks

But the "drive" bin column only shows you where the video was loaded. If video and audio were loaded to two separate drives it doesnt show you which drive the audio was imported to.

Work: MacPro quad core 2.66ghz XEON 6GB Ram AVID MC 4.0.5 Home: Macbook Pro 15" 2011 2.0ghz 12 gb ram Avid MC 6.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:09 PM In reply to

I'm not sure if this will work in a Unity environment, but try selecting the audio file in it's bin and then File>Reveal File. That should show the actual file and it's location.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:14 PM In reply to

• Lenny V
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 27
    • Points 365

The problem is its one file say: "Interview005.mp4" the video will go to "drive1" and the audio will go to "drive 2" accidentally. So when I click on the clip in the bin and chose "reveal file" it will only reveal the files if the drive is mounted. Since we have 60 drives it would be extremely inefficient and time consuming to mount each drive until I find the one that will bring the media online / reveal file 

• Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:46 PM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 13 2008
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Ahhh... I see what you mean now Lenny. Sorry, I didn't read your original post properly.

I don't really see how you've done this - as the Media Creation settings always default to setting both the Video & Audio to the same drive, even if you're seperately video and audio. But, assuming that the assistants accidentally manually set the drives to different places...

The only way I can think to do this jump onto the Unity and do a "Search" through ALL the workspaces for the rogue audio files... 

• Fri, Dec 7 2012 12:09 AM In reply to

As far as I know there is no metadata that will inform you of the audio-only location with the Workspaces unmounted. You could ustmount the Workspaces one at a time, until the media comes online :)

Or, if you mounted all the volumes, you could use Media tool, which offers "Media Files" as a filter option for the search.  You could then sort on the Audio column, to group them separately from the video, and then check the Drive column for their location.

Otherwise, to fix it, mount all the Workspaces and just Cconsolidate the clips, specifying a single Workspace for both audio & video.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller