Latest post Tue, Feb 5 2013 3:51 PM by Perry. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 6 2012 1:06 PM

• Mishack
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

XDCAM incompatibility with DS 11

Hello All,

we upgraded a DS system to version 11 and we ran into a problem with XDCAM media (SD and HD). The DS is not able to playaback such media and show any frame from all clips in format XDCAM SD or HD. Composer window is black and any error message is not displayed, but only audio is played.

We tested the same materials (XDCAM SD) which the previous version (10.5.2) used without any problem. All XDCAM clips are imported from MC 5.5 through AAF or AFE files. We tested also MC 6.0, but the DS system has the same problem.

We have some screenshots and XDCAM samples (SD and HD), so I can upload them somewhere.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
    Michal

System:
    DS 11.0.1
    HP Z800:  2x Intel Xeon 2.93 8MB/1333 QC, 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 ECC RAM, HDD 2x500GB SATA, nVidia Quadro FX4800 1.5GB, Windows 7 Pro SP1
    AJA Kona + BOB, Avid VideoRAID

• Thu, Dec 6 2012 7:46 PM In reply to

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 263
    • Points 3,320
    • Moderator: MetaFuze

Re: XDCAM incompatibility with DS 11

You might upgrade to 11.0.2 which was just released;  There was a fix for some XDCAM media not linking correctly, though I don't know if what you're describing is exactly the same issue.  But there's other worthy fixes in 11.0.2 as well, worth having regardless.

• Fri, Dec 7 2012 3:02 PM In reply to

• Mishack
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

We tested the new version 11.0.2 with some XDCAM media and DS system behaves the same, so our problem was not fixed.

• Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:11 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid DS

Please, reach out to Avid Support via the http://www.avid.com/csportal and provide some samples of the consolidated XDCAM files and AAF or AFE conform files to help engineering reproduce the problem.

Sylvain Labrosse
    Principal Expert | Services and Customer Success

Avid
    3510 St-Laurent Boulevard
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada
    sylvain.labrosse@avid.com

Create cases online now at  csportal.avid.com 
    It's fast, easy and effective!

We're Avid.  Learn more at www.avid.com  

• Wed, Dec 12 2012 8:20 AM In reply to

• Mishack
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

I founded this case the 15th November: XDCAM incompatibility with DS 11 [Case : 02049202]. The case was taken over by Torsten Heinz who does not respond since then.
    I need to solve this problem urgently, because whole workflow is based on XDCAM media. So I tried to write on this forum.

• Wed, Dec 12 2012 3:58 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee

I read the case and Torsten is asking you for information and workflow steps that you don't provide...  Confused

But I took a look at the screen grabs that you uploaded and this is an Avid DS (software only) system.

My question then is what graphics card are you using? Because the clip_properties.PNG screen grab shows a completely gray record viewer, and this means that the graphics card is not capable of pulling images from disk to show them in the DS viewer.

To verify this, switch from hardware to software: Right click in the record viewer and enable Safe Title or a similar software-only option.  Does an image appear?  If yes, your graphics card must be replaced by an approved one.

Refer to the Avid DS 11.0 System Requirements for a Generic hardware list.

Sylvain Labrosse

Avid
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada

• Mon, Dec 17 2012 10:39 AM In reply to

• Mishack
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

I have provided the following:
    The customer uses consolidated sequences for export to AFE file and all XDCAM media in MC are imported, not linked via AMA.
    What do you need to know more?

Here is the configuration of your computer:
    HP Z800:  2x Intel Xeon 2.93 8MB/1333 QC, 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 ECC RAM, HDD 2x500GB SATA, nVidia Quadro FX4800 1.5GB, Windows 7 Pro SP1
    AJA Kona + BOB, Avid VideoRAID
    I think that this graphic card is certified for DS using.

• Tue, Dec 18 2012 8:38 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee

The screen grabs provided in the case contradict your statement and Avid DS runs in software-only mode in all of them, not with the AJA hardware.

Still, that does not explain the offline video, but again two of the four screen grabs display video images in both the source and record viewers, so I am confused...  Is it working or is it not working?

But, like you proposed in your first message, if you could add to the case one of the consolidated .mxf video file sample, with the relevant AFE file, that definitely would help us reproduce the problem on our systems.

Sylvain Labrosse

Avid
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 11:12 AM In reply to

• Mishack
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

The screenshots were created when the DS was in software-only mode. We wanted to exclude the possible influence of AJA hardware that has not been confirmed.

Apologies, the screenshots are not ideal. Displayed video images belongs to a different resolution. So it is not working. We sought to show the Properties window, where are displayed items with red dot for each MXF file. We do not know what it means.

We have two bad clips with AAF files. By email I will send you access to our FTP site with the sample clips you find in directory DS_11.

• Mon, Jan 7 2013 6:49 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee

I sent you the answer in the case notes but, for other users reading this thread, the problem is that the .mxf media is MPEG IMX 50mbit and it requires consolidation (or) transcode in order to be online in Avid DS.

http://aviddssupport.avid.com/index.htm?section=configurations/ds_10_supported_formats.htm 

The second provided piece of .mxf media is online in DS - it is MPEG2 50mbit 1920x1088.

Sylvain Labrosse

Avid
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada

• Tue, Feb 5 2013 3:51 PM In reply to

• Perry
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 7
    • Points 75

Hi

One of the two reasons we upgraded to version 11 was that Avid claimed it could now: "Connect to and play Long-GOP MXF essence (such as from XDCAM) when conforming from Media Composer or Symphony, eliminating transcoding time"

and:

"Avid DS can relink to XDCAM media (OP-Atom) used in Media Composer / Symphony sequences. When conforming Long GOP sequences in Avid DS via AAF/AFE, you can link to the media that was imported or transcoded in Media Composer."

However, in the link you provide it shows that XDCAM footage needs converting! This is clearly not what we the users were being told. (N.B. the other reason for the upgrade was to use the Artist Color Controller - which also doesn't operate fully).

I have cut a sequence with all XDCAM HD footage on my Symphony 5.5. Having sent an AFE to my DS I have loaded the sequence and configured the DS storage to look at the Unity workspace containg the XDCAM mxf material. The DS displays the media, but to it shows up as needing to be rendered regardless of wether the sequence is 8bit or 10bit. To make matters worse the final 8 lines of the picture are displayed (in the source or record side) and outputted as either digital green or some incorrect element of the picture. This is the case before and after rendering.

The clip properties show that the mxf material is MPEG2 50mbit 1920x1088(!!) even though it shows the original source file as 1920 x 1080 and the Media Composer shows the same mxf material as 1080.

Clearly there is still an issue with DS and XDCAM. At the very least we need to be told that it does not work in the way we were told/sold.

DS vers 11.1.1 HP Z800 2x 2.93GHz [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller