Latest post Mon, Nov 12 2012 5:59 PM by mjolnarn. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 9 2012 3:29 PM

• Barshki
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 21 2008
    • Posts 18
    • Points 295

a DNxHD MOV file is not supported for import?

I have a video file that was exported by Avid as a ProRes MOV. For no reason I can surmise it wouldn't work on my PC, on neither quicktime nor Avid, even thought other ProRes files work. I put it on my mac and it worked fine there but I don't have Avid on that computer so I transcoded it in Apple Compressor in to a DNxHD 175 8-bit encoded MOV. Attempts to import in to Avid on my PC yield a notice that reads "the file format of "XXXXXXXX.mov" is not supported for import" AMA is not any better, it tells me that it's "unable to link to file or volume." How is this even possible that Avid can't read it's own codec? And how I can I fix it so that it will?

Running on Windows 7.

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Fri, Nov 9 2012 4:34 PM In reply to

• Moses.M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 9 2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 651
    • Points 8,100

Re: a DNxHD MOV file is not supported for import?

avid will be able to read mov files having a correct codec.

Barshki:
    DNxHD 175 8-bit
    this codec doesn't exist.

can you open the mov clip with the QT player on the Mac AND the PC? take a look at the movie inspector. do you have a valid resolution and framerate?

just some other thoughts:

Avid QT codecs are installed?
    QT version is correct? 

HP xw8400 - 6GB RAM | W7 64 bit | MC 5.5.2 | Adrenaline with DNxcel Sony Vaio SB1Z1 - 6GB Ram | W7 64 bit | Blackmagic Design Ultra Studio SDI [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 9 2012 5:37 PM In reply to

DNX175 is a valid codec. It's a 29.97 codec which is similar to the DNX185 for 25fps.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Nov 9 2012 7:42 PM In reply to

• Barshki
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 295

Right, so why wouldn't it work in Avid? And to correct myself it was a codec that is 23.98 compliant so I must have misremembered that it was 175 (it was late, I was tired) so assuming it's whatever DNxHD codec that is valid for 23.98 and the project is set to the same, why wouldn't it work?

• Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:48 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,668
    • Points 47,070
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Out of curiousity, are these full embedded files or QT reference files? If the latter, then this won't work as QT reference files cannot be opened in MC 6 (there are other threads about this already).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:59 AM In reply to

• Barshki
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 295

• Sat, Nov 10 2012 10:41 AM In reply to

• Barshki
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 295

Update on this, The file I'm trying to import is a 84 minute file. So far I had only tried transcoding the whole thing. This time I made a minute long selection transcode, this time in XDCAM MOV. It worked! Import, AMA, no problem. "Success!" Thought I. I went back and transcoded the whole thing in XDCAM. But when I try to bring it in to AVID, it won't read it.

Could it be that the file is corrupt somewhere? Maybe the hard disk is doing something to such a big file? any ideas?

• Sat, Nov 10 2012 1:46 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,668
    • Points 47,070
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Try splitting in half and see if one half imports but the other doesn't.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Nov 12 2012 4:35 PM In reply to

• Barshki
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 295

0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

So I foolishly tried to "update" by MC 6.0.1 to 6.5.3 in hopes of solving the problem only for my activation to not work. I used to have a service plan that allowed me free upgrades so I wasn't aware that they were charging for .5 updates (which is completely ridiculous) I stopped getting the plan because they increased the price and I would have to pay more if I wanted the free updates (also ridiculous). Then (as usual) it took forever to find any way to get help via e-mail when I did they laid it on me that I need to pay for a .5 update. I swear Avid systems has the most convoluted supports system that I have ever encountered. Avid support was almost totally useless in the past, a time when step one of their troubleshooting assistance was "reinstall the OS" step two was "is your computer connected to the internet? then it's YOUR fault." While they have gotten better about getting with the times and competition I think it's safe to say that the Avid staffer that chimed in on this issue gave no useful information. After 5 years of sticking it out with Avid mostly because it was THE professional NLE, I've been so forgiving of the horrible support and the bugginess. But this is the last straw, everything that's awful about Avid systems has converged on this issue.

But found a solution all of my problems listed above.

I'm switching to Premiere.

• Mon, Nov 12 2012 5:45 PM In reply to

I think .5 updates have always been chargable and there's plenty of info on the upgrade steps online if you look for them.

But sounds like your sorted with Premiere so no need to help resolve your issue now.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Nov 12 2012 5:59 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

As other users might want to know this is my take on this

Barshki:

I have a video file that was exported by Avid as a ProRes MOV. For no reason I can surmise it wouldn't work on my PC, on neither quicktime nor Avid, even thought other ProRes files work.

Seems to be something wrong with the export out of Avid, might be done manually and maybe a setting is uncorrect, best way is to do a transcode in Avid and then export Same as Source.

So as the file, in my theory is errored, this of course follows

Barshki:

I transcoded it in Apple Compressor in to a DNxHD 175 8-bit encoded MOV. Attempts to import in to Avid on my PC yield a notice that reads "the file format of "XXXXXXXX.mov" is not supported for import" AMA is not any better, it tells me that it's "unable to link to file or volume."

It could also be the settings in Compressor that is uncorrect.

As the OP do have Compressor, that is a Mac application, just to redo that export out of Avid on the Mac side once again, this time doing the workflow transcode or mixdown to Prores - then export SAS.

That should work.

If the wanted file is a DNxHD file to be worked with on the PC side, the workflow, on the mac side, might instead be changed to transcode or mixdown to DNxHd - export SAS.

my 2 c

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller