Latest post Mon, Nov 5 2012 5:15 PM by Kevin Klimek. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 5 2012 10:46 AM

Various logistical hardware problems needs solution!

Hello, I'm fresh out of creating an account on this vast forum because i really need help. I've got a big problem and i cant find a way out of this mess. I'll try to explain this as clear as i can (I'm sorry if i cant make myself understood, I am swedish.)

I've got the assignment as an editingassistant to work out a good workplace for a contracted editor that is about to join the project later in the future. My job involves cleaning up and add some structure from previous editors and i need connection with those avid projects (The media stands as offline). The project is a documentary and all the raw footage along with Avid MediaFiles (currently at 3.5TB) and various edits, are being held on a Lacie 4big Quadra which has a capacity of 9TB.

The computers that we have to spare for this project is an iMAC 27" i7 3.4 mid 2011 and some way-outdated-poor-ass-MacPro (4 GB ram Dual core 2 x 3). HERE COMES THE PROBLEM: Not enough space for the project, on any of the computers. (MediaFiles wont fit... )

I do know that Lacie 4big Quadra offers eSATA, but that does not work with iMac. And even though it would be possible to utilize eSATA, would it work considering Avid needs Avid MediaFiles on root of the computer?

MacPro does have internal SATA-ports available, but i dont think I'm allowed to open it up. Even if it would work, the computer is way too slow.

I've also googled about making eSATA work for iMAC and there seems to be no solution which doesnt involve a bucket of cash and shipping or DIY which I'm not allowed to be diving into.

I stumbled upon a LACIE hub which converts eSATA to thunderbolt, still, this wont work since Avid MediaFiles needs to be on root in the internal drive?

Can someone find a solution? Do we simply need to buy a new computer with eSATA available? Does Avid MediaFiles work with eSATA?

• Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:01 AM In reply to

Re: Various logistical hardware problems needs solution!

No it's incorrect to say Avid media files need to be on the root of an inmternal drive.

They do need to be in the correct folder structure from the root of the drive they are on but it's generally not a good idea to have media on an internal drive and certainly not the OS drive.

And yes media files will work over SATA or eSATA or firewire or USB as long as the speed is fast enough to playback the media at the resolution you are working.

I believt there are eSATA to firewire adapters you can buy that would allow you to connect the SATA drive to the firewire port on the imac.

If you intend to use the imac you need to be sure the OS and QT version are supported for the version of MC you will be using.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:19 AM In reply to

Thank you for the quick respons!

The Lacie-tower does have a firewire 800 connected right now too the computer that i am currently working with. The problem seems to be that the mediafiles are, instead of being used from Lacie, it makes a new folder in an internal drive called "video". The MC installed is working properly (version 6.5.0) on a OS X Lion 10.7.4 software.

The Lacie HDD's are formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled), is there a problem there?
    The harddrive also has a specific ownership but under sharing and permissions it says that "everyone" can "read & write"

When i now made a new project once again a folder "Avid MediaFiles" was created, but in the wrong directory. Can i make Avid point to the external drive for the usage of the mediafiles?

• Mon, Nov 5 2012 12:54 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Dallas TX
    • Posts 2,184
    • Points 23,370

the folder  Avid media files must reside at the root level of the drive its on and then avid will rescan the media apon start up... fw 800 is sufficent as im cutting a feature now with the files on a outboard fw 800 raid wd 4 tb..then place your avid media files folder on your  internal hdd into a folder name it anything you like to keep avid from linking to it start up avid and it will find the new one

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:07 PM In reply to

You need to change your Media Creation settings to specify a particular media drive.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:25 PM In reply to

Also not sure why a new folder is being created called video? Is this an Avid workaroudn for the permissions issues LION imposes on the root level of the OS drive?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

Filed under:
  • Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:49 PM In reply to

I have never seen it where Avid software creates a folder called "Video".  That was made by another user or some other application.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Nov 5 2012 5:03 PM In reply to

Kevin Klimek:

I have never seen it where Avid software creates a folder called "Video".  That was made by another user or some other application.

In which case Avid media won't be created there and any Avid media placed there will be invisible to Avid.

It's worth noting that the new Mac OS's default to limiting permissions to folders at the OS drives root level and this applies to the Avid Mediafiles folder if one exists there. There's information around on changing those permissions to allow Avid to access the media files but doing a permisssions repair will reset them back (and break Avids access)

Filed under:
  • Mon, Nov 5 2012 5:15 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    It's worth noting that the new Mac OS's default to limiting permissions to folders at the OS drives root level and this applies to the Avid Mediafiles folder if one exists there. There's information around on changing those permissions to allow Avid to access the media files but doing a permisssions repair will reset them back (and break Avids access)

Pat,

I have not seen that happen here.  I repair permissions all of the time, but they have not been reset on the hard drive itself.  (At least not on OS 10.7.5.)

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller