Latest post Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:09 PM by nahbi. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:08 AM

• nahbi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 12 2012
    • Posts 354
    • Points 4,315

Avid Xpress Pro 4.64 project to latest AMC

I'm talking with a producer about relaunching a feature doc. It seems to be a very far-along cut, with text and transitions, and like they had a very detailed organization system in terms of bins.

According to the producer, the project is:
    AVID XPRESS PRO 4.64, 30 fps, 48 khz 24 bit audio

And there are some new dailies at DV Cam continuous 29.97 w/ Timecode that need to be loaded, etc.

I thought I'd get some feedback here. And if anyone has any recommended tutorials, that would be great.

My initial questions are:
    - What version of MC to go with - 6 or 6.5? Or 5.5?
    - What is the best approach/process to relaunch this project? Create a new project and import the bins?

- What are the pitfalls to look out for?

- Any dos and don'ts? Any other thoughts?

- Does it matter if it's coming from a PC or a Mac and going to a PC or Mac?

Thank you!

• Sun, Nov 4 2012 2:10 AM In reply to

Re: Avid Xpress Pro 4.64 project to latest AMC

1)  Any version od MC work for what you need to do.  MC v6+ is 64-bit, so may perform better.  Persoanlly, I'd use the latest version, v6.5.0.1.

2)  Yes, create a new Project, and copy the Bins into it.  (Note that Avid calls 29.97 projects 30i when you're creating a new project)

3)  Not many.  Typically, projects move forward seemlessly.

4) Is all the media already digitized, other than the new DV Cam clips coming?  What type pf media drive?  It's better if the media drive is formatted natively for the MC system, i.e., Mac=Mac or Pc=PC.  Were any third party plugins used, e.g., Sapphire, BCC/AVX, etc?  You'll need up-to-date  versions of those licences as well.

5)  The Project, Bins, etc. are cross-platform.  The only significant difference might be fonts.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Nov 4 2012 2:30 AM In reply to

• nahbi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 354
    • Points 4,315

Thanks for these points.

- So, yes, you think starting a new project and bringing the bins in is better than opening the Xpress project with AMC?

Not too sure about whether or not everythng is already digitized and on the drives - I assume so, but I can't speak for what the producer does or doesn't know.

- What kind of issues would there be if the media was coming from a PC set up and going to a Mac? Or vise versa?

Tahnk you very much!

• Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:30 AM In reply to

Yes, creating a new Project, and only using the Bins from the old one will work best.

The media is cross-platform.  It makes no difference where it was digitized.  It's the formatting of the media drive(s) that is critical.  For best performance, the drive(s) should be formated by the host system.  Mac = HFS+; PC = NTFS.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Nov 4 2012 2:34 PM In reply to

• nahbi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 354
    • Points 4,315

Isee. Great. Thank you for your help.

I assume I should know the codec or flavor of the resolution before I start the new project, correct? Or can I change that after I bring the bins in?

Thank you.

• Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:09 PM In reply to

• nahbi
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 354
    • Points 4,315

All the bin details that were created to organize and sort the clips will come along too right ? I get the impression they'll want to use the Find tool a lot.

Sorry for all the questions, that I know many people have asked somewhere at some point.

Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller