Latest post Thu, Nov 1 2012 9:10 PM by Robert Ferguson. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 29 2012 7:18 PM

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 18 2012
    • Posts 38
    • Points 555

Can I upgrade to Avid MC 6.5 and/or Symphony 6.5?

Hi all,

I am in the process of upgrading our edit bays here to either MC 6.5 or Symphony 6.5. Two systems appear to be ready for the latest Avid software, however, one Mac Pro in particular may be too old to run 6.5. Here is a snapshot of the system:

Mac OS X

Version: 10.6.3

Model Name:    Mac Pro
      Model Identifier:    MacPro1,1
      Processor Name:    Dual-Core Intel Xeon
      Processor Speed:    3 GHz
      Number Of Processors:    2
      Total Number Of Cores:    4
      L2 Cache (per processor):    4 MB
      Memory:    4 GB
      Bus Speed:    1.33 GHz
      Boot ROM Version:    MP11.005C.B08
      SMC Version (system):    1.7f10

Apparently, along with installing some more memory (6 GB+), I will have to ugrade the OS to Lion prior to install of MC 6.5. I plan to first upgrade to Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and then purchase and install Mac OS 10.7 (Lion). That should prep this older system for the latest Media Composer, I believe.

My question is: Am I missing anything? Graphics cards, etc.? Does this look like a solid plan for an upgrade? Will it work for MC 6.5?

Many thanks!

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 1:49 AM In reply to

Re: Can I upgrade to Avid MC 6.5 and/or Symphony 6.5?

That Mac is too old. The Model Identifier:    MacPro1,1 indicates  that it is 32-bit only.

If you don't have a dongle or Avid hardware you might be able to get away with it for light editing. But it's also very underpowered for AMA, transcoding, etc. Buying more RAM would be throwing away money.

Time to recycle. It's work about $325 from Apple if it's in good shape.

Robert

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 4:47 PM In reply to

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 555

Thanks for the response and help, Robert!

However, according to the apple website (see snapshot below), my Mac Pro 1,1 is indeed 64-bit, as indicated by the processor. Is this not the case?

Intel Core Solo 32 bit
    Intel Core Duo 32 bit
    Intel Core 2 Duo 64 bit
    Intel Quad-Core Xeon 64 bit
    Dual-Core Intel Xeon 64 bit
    Quad-Core Intel Xeon 64 bit
    Core i3 64 bit
    Core i5 64 bit
    Core i7 64 bit
  • Tue, Oct 30 2012 4:55 PM In reply to

Brett:

Here are the system requirements. And, go to the Mac V6.5 Qualified Systems pdf link that you'll find here.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 5:11 PM In reply to

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 555

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the repy. Yes. I have visited both links previously and checked the specs against the systems I am hoping to upgrade. I just wanted to confirm with someone from Avid that my plan to update the Mac operation system to Lion is solid... and check if there is anything else I am missing in my upgrade to MC 6.5. I think I've done as much research I can do online, I just need a second confirmation before I dive into two Mac OS updates and purchasing the Avid software. If you could, please check my original message above and let me know your opinion on my execution and if it sounds like a solid plan. Many thanks!

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 5:22 PM In reply to

If you can upgrade your OS to Lion and add at least 2 GB of RAM for a minimum of 6, you have a shot. I am currently running Symphony 6.5 on a MacBook Pro 3,1 running Lion OS 10.7.2 with 6 GB of RAM and that combination (at least for me) is screamingly fast and very, very stable. After the OS and RAM upgrade, you can always download the 30 day free trial version of Media Composer 6.5. and test drive it. If it runs smoothly, Symphony should as well.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 5:25 PM In reply to

That Mac does indeed have a 64-bit proc. However, the EFI firmware is 32-bit only. This link explains it well in the contect of the system runing 10.8.

http://cnet.co/yvrTTR

Download a free MC 6.5 trial and see for yourself if the software runs to your satisfaction.

I tried this with 6.0 for my clients and the answer was no.

Robert

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 5:29 PM In reply to

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 555

Great suggestion, Larry. Thank you. I think that is exactly what I will do. I was a little worried about the processor being out of date, but it appears it still meets the min. requirements for MC and Symphony 6.5. Thanks again for the help!

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 5:38 PM In reply to

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 555

Ah-ha. Thanks for the reply, Robert.

Yes. I came across this link during my initial research and understood that my current Mac Pro, listed above, would have issues with the graphics card, as explained in the post. My solution is to only upgrade to Mac OSX 10.7 (Lion) ... and forget about "Mountain Lion" for now. Do you think that would be possible? Avid's min. requirements for OS includes Lion 10.7. Thanks again.

• Wed, Oct 31 2012 11:37 PM In reply to

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 38
    • Points 555

Hi Robert,

I have another Mac Pro that I wish to update to Symphony 6.5. I rebooted with 6/4 keys held down and confirmed that the EFI firmware is indeed 64 bit, as per your article link. I was just curious if you have had any clients / installs with the following configs, and what the results have been. Thanks!

Mac OS X

Version: 10.6. 3

Model Name:    Mac Pro
      Model Identifier:    MacPro4,1
      Processor Name:    Quad-Core Intel Xeon
      Processor Speed:    2.66 GHz
      Number Of Processors:    2
      Total Number Of Cores:    8
      L2 Cache (per core):    256 KB
      L3 Cache (per processor):    8 MB
      Memory:    12 GB
      Processor Interconnect Speed:    6.4 GT/s
      Boot ROM Version:    MP41.0081.B08
      SMC Version (system):    1.39f5
      SMC Version (processor tray):    1.39f5

• Thu, Nov 1 2012 9:10 PM In reply to

I have two people running those with MC 6.5 and I think 10.7.2. That's a supported syatem so you should be fine as long as you upgrade your OS. My clients are reporting no major problems, only a couple of the 6.x bugs discussed in the forums.

Robert

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller