Latest post Sat, Jul 12 2014 4:15 PM by Terry Snyder. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 29 2012 1:09 AM

• Mister HU
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 24 2011
    • Southern California
    • Posts 49
    • Points 615

Title Tool (still) not transparent

I posted about this in the Bugs thread back in April, and now that I'm back at the same workplace, the problem has inexplicably sprung up again.

It was working fine for a day or two, but suddenly whenever I open the Title Tool, it does not show me the video underneath. It's just a black box, so I can't see how the title I'm creating looks over the background image. Yes, the "V" is green. It makes no difference whether it's on or off. Restarting computer and MC makes no difference.

My only workaround is to cut in a pre-existing title from months ago, and then edit it. But this is also hit and miss.

They are still on MC 6.0.1.1 here. I am using brand new User Settings, created on this system.

I searched the forum and found no solution. Does anyone have any suggestions, please? Thanks!

iMac 27" 5K, OS 10.14.6, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB Media Composer 2018.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 29 2012 1:17 AM In reply to

• Mister HU
    • Not Ranked
    • Southern California
    • Posts 49
    • Points 615

Re: Title Tool (still) not transparent

Interesting - I just switched to someone else's User Settings and it worked. Switched back to mine, and it does not. Is there a User Setting that might affect this?

I created fresh User Settings just a few days ago. I would hate to think they got corrupted after only two days. If so, what might cause this?

iMac 27" 5K, OS 10.14.6, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB Media Composer 2018.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 29 2012 5:15 AM In reply to

"... Is there a User Setting that might affect this? ..."

No.

"... If so, what might cause this? ..."

• Power related problems.  Is the system protected by either a UPS or Tech-Power?
    • Fragmented RAM.  Does the system get powered off at night?
    • Other corrupt settings, specfically, MC State, Site Attributes, Site Settings.  These should also be deleted along with the User Settings.  Project settings as well.

See my earlier post here.  Old, but still applies.  Adjust locations of folders accordingly.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 4:54 PM In reply to

• Mister HU
    • Not Ranked
    • Southern California
    • Posts 49
    • Points 615

Randall L Rike:

"... Is there a User Setting that might affect this? ..."

No.

"... If so, what might cause this? ..."

• Power related problems.  Is the system protected by either a UPS or Tech-Power?
    • Fragmented RAM.  Does the system get powered off at night?
    • Other corrupt settings, specfically, MC State, Site Attributes, Site Settings.  These should also be deleted along with the User Settings.  Project settings as well.

See my earlier post here.  Old, but still applies.  Adjust locations of folders accordingly.

Thanks for those suggestions. Before I tried it, I opened up MC6 this morning, and the FIRST time I open the Title Tool, it worked fine, but every subsequent time, it was not transparent.

Then I deleted all the files you suggested, and tried again with another User. Same result - Title Tool works only the first time it is opened. Then I tried with a brand new test User - same thing. Then I tried with my one-week-old user settings - same again.

Maybe it truly is a Media Composer 6 bug, although I seem to be the only person who's suffering from it!

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 7:33 PM In reply to

• duckyou
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • NJ
    • Posts 193
    • Points 2,260

Was there a resolution to this issue?  I am having it now.  The system was working fine, then suddenly, no background in the title tool.  I followed all the suggestions, but it remains blank.  Any updates?  Thanks.

Mac 8 core, 12gB ram, OX 10.8.4, Media Composer 7.0, AJA IO Express or Matrox Mini Max [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Thu, Jan 23 2014 7:47 PM In reply to

• Mister HU
    • Not Ranked
    • Southern California
    • Posts 49
    • Points 615

Afraid not. I still experience it at this particular workplace. A few weeks ago I tried using someone else's User Settings and the Title Tool worked fine, but you will see from my earlier post that that doesn't seem to be a reliable solution.

My only work-around has been to cut in an existing title that doesn't have The Problem, and then edit it in the timeline. Creating a new title rarely works.

By the way, this workplace is now on MC 6.0.5.

• Tue, May 6 2014 2:33 PM In reply to

• duckyou
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 193
    • Points 2,260

And this is where it ends?  I'm still having this problem and it is ridiculous.  I have to use older titles and re-edit them to get transparency in the title tool.  I have checked and changed all the things Randall sugested and it is still hit or miss.

I am current on version 7 thought it would help.  Really slows down my workflow.

Mac 8 core, 12gB ram, OX 10.8.4, Media Composer 7.0, AJA IO Express or Matrox Mini Max [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 8 2014 2:23 PM In reply to

• duckyou
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 193
    • Points 2,260

bump

• Sat, Jul 5 2014 11:59 AM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 583
    • Points 6,700

feeling duck's frustration and bumping again, in case it's the same bug:

- slightly different situation, but can't get the opaque/transparent slider facility to work while making greyish 'drop-back' boxes. (For when 'glow' effect isn't enough to pick text out against background video.)
    I can chose the right 'fill' colour for the shape, but the opaque/transparent sliders seem to have no effect on output

Media Composer 2018.9.0 on 13" early-2015 Macbook Pro (OSX10.13.6) 3.1GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1867 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB Gizmos... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 5 2014 1:38 PM In reply to

Mister HU:

My only work-around has been to cut in an existing title that doesn't have The Problem, and then edit it in the timeline. Creating a new title rarely works.

When you open a title to edit it, promote it to Marquee.   I have found Marquee is still fast and reliable with MC 6 and 7, and it will give you more options than the old Title Tool.  Very easy to use, too.  

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sat, Jul 12 2014 3:48 PM In reply to

• duckyou
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 193
    • Points 2,260

Fair answer as a workaround, Terry, but not a solution to the problem which Avid seems reluctant to address.

Chuck

• Sat, Jul 12 2014 4:15 PM In reply to

duckyou:

Fair answer as a workaround, Terry, but not a solution to the problem which Avid seems reluctant to address.

I agree.  The Title Tool is far from obsolete--which is how Avid seems to be treating it.  Often I need to create and drop in a quick and fast title without interrupting my editing.  The Title Tool is perfect in those instances where none of the other titling programs can match it for speed and simplicity.  I would venture to guess it is still widely used by Avid editors when they don't need anything more sophisticated--or time consuming.  It is a shame that Avid has not kept up with it's development.   Avid markets a fast workflow as a major feature and the Title Tool has been instrumental in my meeting deadlines over the years.  I don't want Avid to bog it down with bells and whistles--I'll use another program for more complicated titles--but they should keep it up-to-date and bug free. 

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller