Latest post Mon, Oct 15 2012 5:08 PM by NickRavich. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 15 2012 2:56 PM

"Foreign compression type" error when trying to consolidate already DNxHD transcoded 5D markiii clips

Folks-

Running Media Composer ver 5.0.4, OS 10.6, Dual Quad Core Xeon Mac Pro.  

Weird error haven't had before.

Here's the story.  

Looking for quick way to bring in 5D markii original footage (1080 29.97p) into MC and start assembling/exporting.  

So transcoded original clips in MPEG Streamclip (I know probably not the best app, but looking for speed over quality at the moment) into Avid DNxHD codec.

Then brought those clips into 1080 29.97 MC project via AMA.  All clips are recognized in bin as "DNxHD 220x (HD 1080i)" - tho odd that Avid reads these as interlaced.  Probably my mistake in original MPEG SC transcode.  

Then tried to consolidate those clips.

Funny thing, out of about 150 clips, a third wouldn't consolidate.  Avid said there was a "foreign compression type."

Checked the DNxHD transcoded clips that didn't get consolidated and they don't seem to be any different than the ones that did consolidate.  

Any ideas as to why some and not others?  Should I be using something other than MPEG SC to do the pre-AMA transcode?

Again, looking to turn around an assembly and export quickly for this.  But also want to figure out 5D/MC workflow for future.  

Let me know, Nick.

• Mon, Oct 15 2012 4:51 PM In reply to

Re: "Foreign compression type" error when trying to consolidate already DNxHD transcoded 5D markiii clips

I use QTChanger to add timecode and reel id to the weak 5D tapeless media.

But why can't you just AMA the 5D footage direct into MC and transcode from there?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Mon, Oct 15 2012 5:08 PM In reply to

Re: "Foreign compression type" error when trying to consolidate already DNxHD transcoded 5D markiii clips

Thanks Pat.

Don't know QTChanger - I'll look into it.

Yeah, tried straight up AMAing the original 5D files but when I attempt to consolidate immediately get the foreign compression type error message.  And my experience with AMA has been to always consolidate. Too many performance headcaches with just AMA-linked footage.  So in essence I use AMA as an import tool.

Nick.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller