Latest post Fri, Sep 28 2012 10:17 PM by Editmvp. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 26 2012 11:14 AM

• Dan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 12 2011
    • UK
    • Posts 231
    • Points 3,165

Aliasing problems when importing After Effects compositions.

Hi,

I'm importing some After Effects compositions into Avid to stick them together. The quality isn't great on import though, lot of aliasing problems. I'm using Quicktime/Animation codec on max quality to export from AE, and the movie looks fine. In Avid though, doesn't look great. It's an SD composition, importing to an SD project in Avid. I've tried importing directly and AMA linking, but it looks the same.

The onlt problem I can see is that although it's an SD Avid project, when you go to export a QT SAS you have the 'native dimensions' checkbox - it says in there that it thinks the native dimensions are 1920x1080 (they shouldn't be) - not sure if this is just a glitch though.

What workflow does anyone else use to get good results? I know I can do a TIFF sequence from Avid (that has eliminated problems before) but I'm just trying to get a roughcut together of quite a long sequence and TIFF sequence workflows take much longer.

Cheers

Symphony 8.5.3 Windows 7 pro 64bit. Intel Core i7 2600k. 16GB RAM. Nvidia Quadro fx5500. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 28 2012 10:17 PM In reply to

• Editmvp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 3 2008
    • Billings, Montana
    • Posts 150
    • Points 1,785

Re: Aliasing problems when importing After Effects compositions.

First, double-check that your Avid project is set to an SD format.  Click on the Format tab in the project window to see what you're current format settings are set to.  If it is indeed a SD project, make sure that your AE comp is set to the same specifications as Avid. 

I'm not familiar with a PAL setup, but with NTSC, you also have to make sure that both programs are using the same pixel dimensions.  For example, with NTSC, if you create a comp in AE that is D1 (720x486) then when you import in to Avid, check to make sure the Avid Options are set to "Image sized for current format"  However, if your AE comp is set to DV (720x480), when you import into Avid you must set the Options/Image Size Adjustment to "Crop/Pad for DV scan line difference. 

As for the QuickTime Animation export, that should be fine.  On our systems, we always match our AE exports with the same we're using in Avid. Not sure how all this applys to PAL, if that's what you use.

Primary System: Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony Option | Phrase Find | Avid Artist DNxIO | Mac Pro Mid 2012 12-Core 3.46 | OS10.13.6/64GB/1TB-SSD/Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller