Latest post Fri, Sep 21 2012 3:50 PM by Larry Rubin. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 21 2012 12:26 PM

• HansLucas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 21 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

"the powerpc architecture is no longer supported"

Hi,

I just got a MAC (OS X 10.8), on which I thought I could install Avid Xpress DV, that I used on my PC so far which is now dead. But when trying to install Avid Xpress DV I have the following message : "the powerpc architecture is no longer supported".

Does that mean I have to buy a 500€ software again ?? I can't afford it.

Please help ! !

I don't know what to do... I am not good with Mac yet.

• Fri, Sep 21 2012 12:41 PM In reply to

Re: "the powerpc architecture is no longer supported"

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Xpress DV has been discontinued for quite a while.  Although someone may come along with a solution, I doubt it will run on a modern computer.

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Sep 21 2012 12:44 PM In reply to

Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news, but Avid Express DV has been an EOL (end of life) product for a very long time now, and certainly is not supported to run on Mountain Lion OS. You will need to upgrade to Media Composer version 6. The upgrade price for you would be $599 USD.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Sep 21 2012 1:06 PM In reply to

• HansLucas
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

What if I downgrade my OS ? To which version ?

• Fri, Sep 21 2012 1:17 PM In reply to

It depends on which version of Avid Express DV you have. While there is not a chart specifically for Express DV, here is the version matrix for Avid Express Pro, which should be similar enough regarding OSs. Scroll down near the bottom of the list.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Sep 21 2012 1:31 PM In reply to

• HansLucas
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Can't I get a discount ?! Since I already bought the product ????

• Fri, Sep 21 2012 2:07 PM In reply to

That IS a discount. The regular price is $2,295.00. And how many years ago did you purchase Express DV?

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Sep 21 2012 2:19 PM In reply to

Apple hve a neat trick of preventing you downgrading the OS below the version the hardware shipped with.

So you may find you can't go far enough back without finding a really old MacPro somewhere.

I see your point on the upgrade priceing...

I just replaced my wifes car and despite being a loyal customer the dealer wasn't interested in an upgrade. Just an out an out sale.

He did point out the car was 9 years old and had done 110 thousand miles.......

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Sep 21 2012 2:24 PM In reply to

• HansLucas
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Great...

No need to buy a new car if the one you own works perfectly fine and does what you expect from it...

• Fri, Sep 21 2012 2:25 PM In reply to

• HansLucas
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

the upgrade is more expensive than the price I paid in the first place !!

• Fri, Sep 21 2012 2:43 PM In reply to

Hans, all I can say to you regarding pricing is: "It is what it is." I as a moderator have no control over Avid's pricing structure, nor can I give you any help in that area. You are welcome to contact Avid corporate directly from this contact list.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Sep 21 2012 3:33 PM In reply to

• HansLucas
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

When I call the phone number from your contact list related to my country (France), I find someone who says he cannot help me nor give me any informations, for there are only commercials at that place... and that I should look upon the internet...

Thanks anyway...

• Fri, Sep 21 2012 3:42 PM In reply to

Whoever you spoke to should not have responded to you that way. If you can send me a private email (link is in my profile) with the name of the individual you spoke to, I will make sure it gets into the hands of the Avid Customer Advocate and she will deal with them accordingly, as that type of attitude towards a customer is completely unacceptable.

In the meantime, you should search eBay for Avid products and see what you can find. If you decide to make a purchase that way, be sure to contact the seller first and make sure they have the system ID and either a dongle (physical USB license key) or a software license activation code, so that you know they own it legally.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Sep 21 2012 3:48 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

Whoever you spoke to should not have responded to you that way. If you can send me a private email (link is in my profile) with the name of the individual you spoke to, I will make sure it gets into the hands of the Avid Customer Advocate and she will deal with them accordingly, as that type of attitude towards a customer is completely unacceptable.

In the meantime, you should search eBay for Avid products and see what you can find. If you decide to make a purchase that way, be sure to contact the seller first and make sure they have the system ID and either a dongle (physical USB license key) or a software license activation code, so that you know they own it legally.

Isn't there a "transfer fee" for re-registering the product with a new owner?

Oh and I had to have the new car. It had so many features the old one didn't :-)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Sep 21 2012 3:50 PM In reply to

Yes, there is a transfer fee, but I don't remember how much it is, off the top of my head. IIRC, somewhere around $200.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller