Latest post Fri, Mar 27 2015 6:51 PM by Marianna. 128 replies.
Page 8 of 9 (129 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 18 2012 9:40 AM In reply to

Re: $500 Upgrade Price?

Dave Avid PM:
    I know we are fixing and releasing 5.0 patches still and I think 4.0 too.  I'll check on that.

Thanks Dave. This info would be appreciated.

Dave Avid PM:
    The much talked about I/O sluggishness issue is something we have been trying to fix, when we have a fix, we will post it in 6.x and 6.5.

Again Thanks, While I know you/Avid can't promise anything with 100% certainty, I understand that Avid is intending (maybe even committed) to fix it and include the fix for free.

Dave Avid PM:

I think that about answers all of the questions and comments on this thread since Marianna posted.

Not all, Marianna pointed out that Avid strives for a consistent pricing model inc. upgrade pricing. While I personally have no problem with the current price it is not consisted with previous pricing, both for the pre 6.0 users and the 6.0 users. Can you shine some light on this?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Sep 18 2012 11:04 AM In reply to

• Euchrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 15 2006
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,530

Glans:

Actually...   I don't anymore, I only use Avid at the post production company but I never use my own MC anymore because of these issues, I don't want to explain myself to my customers.

I understand that people are angry with Avid about the Open IO bugs. So am I. However, I don't think it's purely Avid's fault because Aja and apparently Motu do work as advertised. Avid could be more open about this issue, but I'm sure it annoys them as much as it annoys us.

But what I don't understand is that people then threaten to move to Premiere because of that. I would make the switch to another software only if the editing experience is really better and Avid would be a dead end. Which I think is not the case, but it may be different for others. Me too I'm fed up of waiting for a fix for the Matrox MXO lag, but I'm even more fed up of being stubborn and putting time and energy into this. So the Matrox goes out.

Here are a few options: Aja T-Tap, 250$. AJA IO Express: 1000 $. Motu HD Express 495$. Motu HDX-SDI 850$.

It's not that you have to fork out 3000$ for a Mojo DX to get the 6.0 software to work as it should. When I receive the Motu I'll post the results.

Symphony 2019.6 on Mac Pro Westmere 3.33Ghz 6 core, 48Gb Ram, Nvidia GTX 980, High Sierra 10.13.6, BMD Ultra Monitor 2019.6 on MacBook Pro Retina 2018... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 18 2012 11:32 AM In reply to

duckyou:
    So, if I upgraded my two systems from 5.5 to 6.0 and 4.8 to 6.0 between August 8 and Sept 7 for $1.100.  I don't qualify for the free upgrade?  Only complete systems qualify?

Chuck:

If you purchased the 6.0 software between Aug 8 2012 and Sep 7 2012, you DO qualify for a free upgrade to 6.5. Did someone tell you otherwise? If so, can you provide me a name via PM? I have no idea where "complete system" enters into this or even what that is supposed to mean in this context.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Sep 18 2012 11:51 AM In reply to

• Strypes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 31 2011
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,710

If you haven't checked out the other NLEs, you are living under a rock. There are areas which each software excels at. Premiere has next to zero media management, so it isn't great for collaborative editing or multicam reality shows, however, it is a fast editor with good interop with After Effects, and good native format support, and good support for interchange formats (eg. XML and AAF) so you can port projects to FCP very easily. Avid is a great storytelling tool, great trim tools, great phrase find integration, with good offline/online media management, but Avid's MXF format has little developer support. And boo, it's very slow at generating waveforms.

• Tue, Sep 18 2012 12:37 PM In reply to

• duckyou
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • NJ
    • Posts 193
    • Points 2,260

"Complete system" meaning, starting as a new use full price user.  Not an upgrade.

After reading that I was entitled to a free upgrade, I plugged in my numbers in the suggested form and at the top of the form it said my request was denied.  I tried several times with similar results.  I twice wrote to an Avid Advocate email address given at the same location that offered the free upgrade, but after 10 days, I have had no reply. 

Of course, I have all my confirmation invoice  emails and serial numbers.

Mac 8 core, 12gB ram, OX 10.8.4, Media Composer 7.0, AJA IO Express or Matrox Mini Max [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 18 2012 12:39 PM In reply to

We have not fixed it because we are still working on a fix.   I have stated this before and I guess I will have to continue to state this. We will fix bugs in previous versions .

Dave

• Tue, Sep 18 2012 12:47 PM In reply to

Chuck:

Send a email to Avid Customer Advocate Marianna at: marianna.montague@avid.com

Include your system ID and serial number in the email. She's plowing through thousands of emails since returning from dealing with her mother's illness, so please be patient. She will get to you. For your safety and protection, never post your system ID or serial number on this on any other public website.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Sep 18 2012 12:55 PM In reply to

• duckyou
    • Not Ranked
    • NJ
    • Posts 193
    • Points 2,260

Thanks.  Haven't been to the forum in quite some time.  (Avid's been that good for us.)

Wasn't aware of her mom.

Mac 8 core, 12gB ram, OX 10.8.4, Media Composer 7.0, AJA IO Express or Matrox Mini Max [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 18 2012 9:42 PM In reply to

Tnanks Dave Avid Pm.. up until know noones really over there recognized that they knew the open i/o was an issue, at least here on the boards. everytime a mod got involved they came off surprised, so im glad to know its indeed being worked on.

• Tue, Sep 18 2012 10:13 PM In reply to

Robert Goodman :
    everytime a mod got involved they came off surprised
    Excuse me? I think I have raised the issue and supported the complaints more than once.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 18 2012 10:20 PM In reply to

your right, correction..in general i meant. either no one else even acknowledged those threads. It always seems like as of late, those thgreads went thru unnoticed. Look at te one Mike Carpenter started recently about 6.0.3 Pretty much just users in that thread with no one ever chiming in to go, ok we know, and were fixing it. '

• Tue, Sep 18 2012 10:25 PM In reply to

Don't think it's fair to blame any of that on mods, Robert.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 18 2012 10:30 PM In reply to

I know I've tried to do my best to cross reference related threads in various postings. I've cross referenced Marianna's explanation in other relevant threads. Sometimes between obligations here and elsewhere, one or two may fall off the radar and if that's the case, I apologize.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Sep 18 2012 11:19 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,379
    • Points 233,205
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Job ter Burg:

Don't think it's fair to blame any of that on mods, Robert.

Agree that is isnt the mod's at all.  Several of them have escalated the issue through our escalation process and while we have done some work - we havent done enough.  

Wayne at Matrox, Matt/Rob/Dave and I at Avid have been fielding this for a while. We know it has to do with I/O and we know long term there needs to be changes.  We did some tweaking to the editor and Matrox came out with some new drivers which helped some but not completely.  We both have more work to do to make this soltuion work.  

Just so you know........

The Mod's determine if something is an issue based on criteria they have - many users affected, reproduceable, regression, etc... and escalate to a specific email address.  On that address resides the "whose who" at Avid to get the issues fixed.  People from Beta to CET to CS to me :) and others in between.  The issue is reproduced if possible and a bug is logged.  Then the bug is triaged for a priority.  I.e. we dont want to fix a little issue with a workaround and not fix a big issue with no solution.....   then off to bug bust which in and of itself is hard.  The engineers have to find te code - fix it and not disrupt anything esle - then test it to determine in all applications it works.

So the Matrix sluggishness as it is called - is being worked.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 18 2012 11:21 PM In reply to

blaming mods? Hardly.. just pointing out, that alot of the time we talk about the open i/o specifically, its just us talking to one another for the most part. Besides private emails ive had with Marianna, this was the firs time ive seen publically, that they do indeed recognize the problem and have publically stated to be working on it. 

I apoligize if i offended you, you all are a great resource to this forum, and i know you guys do your absolute best. 

That said, it wasnt until recently that the true understanding of the problem exists, and thats based off different users and how they work the program. 

If you never entered trim mode, then it would seem everything works a-ok. some people dont use trim mode at all. they think there setup is rock solid. 

Same with color correction, anyone doing there grading outside of MC, would never know theres a problem with Color Correct mode. 

I for one only use Avid over the cmpetition when i have the choice for 2 very distinct features. The media management and the trim tool. This is where Avid really shines IMO and sets itself apart from the competition. 

Page 8 of 9 (129 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller