Latest post Thu, Sep 27 2012 2:14 AM by Jeff. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 4 2012 7:22 PM

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 15
    • Points 160

BlackMagic Intensity Pro PCI Card & Quad Split glitch?

I am running MC 6.0.0 on Lion 10.7.3 and using an Intensity Pro PCI card to to send an HDMI video signal to my client monitor. It seems to work fine except for two anomalies

1) Quad Split reverts to Single frame when stopped -

I can play back a quad split of DnX36 in real time with no sluggishness or sync issues except as soon as I stop playback the display on the client monitor reverts from a quad split to a single frame. As soon as I hit play it converts instantly to a quad split again. I want to be able to park / stop the video and have the quad split displayed on my client monitor. Is there a setting I need to adjust or is this a glitch?

2) Black Screen in reverse -

Once I hit hit the J key to play backwards the client monitor goes black for 1-2 seconds before the video signal kicks in and plays back fine. Is there a way to remove this delay?

I have the latest drivers 9.6.2 added Aug 14th.

MacPro 12 core (2x2.4 GHz-6 Core) / 12GB Ram / ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB / BlackMagic Intensity Pro PCI Card / Mac OS 10.8.5 / Symphony 7.0.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 4 2012 7:48 PM In reply to

Re: BlackMagic Intensity Pro PCI Card & Quad Split glitch?

Make sure you are running at least v6.0.3.  Hundereds of bug fixes in there...maybe yours was one of them.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Sep 4 2012 8:23 PM In reply to

you also want ot be using blackmagic desktop video 9.5.3  thats the most stable driver for MC 

• Thu, Sep 6 2012 3:22 AM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 15
    • Points 160

Thanks for the suggestions. I updated to 6.0.3 and reverted to the 9.5.3 driver. The problems still remain.

I may have to buy a Matrox.

MacPro 12 core (2x2.4 GHz-6 Core) / 12GB Ram / ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB / BlackMagic Intensity Pro PCI Card / Mac OS 10.8.5 / Symphony 7.0.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 6 2012 6:42 PM In reply to

As to #1, I haven't worked quad split in a LONG time, but I seem to remember this being the norm, at least on the client monitor.  Anyone else using current software see it differently?

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Sep 6 2012 9:37 PM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 15
    • Points 160

You may be right, I just checked with a friend using a Matrox Box and his is The same. He believes it is always this way, The quad split reverts to single frame when stopped. I am new to AVID jsut recently converting from FCP so I was not aware of this. FCP maintains the quad split when stopped. I think the FCP method is preferrable. For a client to look at the quad split in AVID he has to look over my shoulder to the much smaller display on the computer monitor.

The ideal solution would be to have a setting whereby you could choose whether to display a quad split or single frame when stopped. AVID already has this preference in the Multicam Mode setting. You can choose to have the client monitor display quad split or linecut.

If anybody has any info regarding ISSUE #2, a 2 second dropout when going into reverse, that would be great.

• Thu, Sep 6 2012 9:44 PM In reply to

Once we confirm that it isn't a bug, that might be something to add to the Feature Request Forum.

-- Kevin

• Thu, Sep 27 2012 12:13 AM In reply to

• Bostody
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 27 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

I am having a similar problem in MC 6.03 with a Blackmagic Decklink Studio with 9.6.4

I frequently lose my video signal for 2-3 seconds when playing in reverse or when trimming.  Also occurs with audio scrubbing.

Makes editing very sluggish.  

• Thu, Sep 27 2012 1:26 AM In reply to

try using desktop video 9.5.3...its not perfect but its the best working driver for BM and MC

and there working on fixes for the open i/o..just dont know when it will drop. 

• Thu, Sep 27 2012 2:14 AM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 15
    • Points 160

I confirmed with others that the quad split reverting to a single frame when stopped is normal for AVID.

As for losing the signal in reverse. My problem corrected itself. I don't know how or why. I didn't do anything specific. It seemed to coincide with moving my system from my house to the office. It may be the speed of the drive. Before I was using a single internal drive to store media but once in the office I am using an external raid. I stuck with the latest driver (9.6.1.) because it was supposed to be compatible with Lion.

The signal to my client monitor has been fine for several weeks now. I hope yours corrects itself as well.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller