Latest post Thu, Oct 4 2012 7:20 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 14 2012 10:11 AM

Avid FX Demos/Samples

Hello,

I'm looking for sample works of AvidFX. I know AfterEffects is the popular one but I'm still trying to weight it somehow. There are impressions that AvidFX is obsolete or old.

I'm personally using AvidFX now in my suite and I encourage our team to look at the skill more than the tools. I just want to see how much we can get out of it before we decide to look for a better solution.

Any latest samples or links should be great.

Thanks.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Tue, Aug 14 2012 5:47 PM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Maarssen, The Netherlands
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,650

Re: Avid FX Demos/Samples

Have a look here. In the menu, there are a lot of tutorials for different approaches.

And a lot of Boris Red tutorials are valid for AvidFX too.

MC6.0.5, QT version 7.7.3, AvidFX 6.2(64bit), Squeeze Pro 8.5.0.41, AvidDVD 6.4.4 (still in my system, but I don't use it anymore), Boris Continuum... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Aug 14 2012 7:22 PM In reply to

Ervz Tia (Tikboy):
    Hello, I'm looking for sample works of AvidFX.

here's something I've always thought was kind of impressive... a nice 1 minute piece showing a lot of 3D graphics, animation, and filtering etc. Done years ago with an older version of Avid and an older version of Boris Red (Boris Red has essentially the same effect features as AvidFX). I apologize in advance for the low quality QT compression (it's an old file currently kind of buried on our website) ;

http://borisfx.cachefly.net/borisfx/images/userStory.mov

http://www.borisfx.com/userstory/pankow.php

If plugin integration isn't so important to you then After Effects is certainly a capable solution. BorisFX provides a lot of plugins for use in Adobe After Effects as well.

—————— Dirk de Jong BorisFX

• Wed, Aug 15 2012 4:12 AM In reply to

Thanks guys!

So you're saying AvidFX is an alternative to AE? It's really hard to find samples/users even in YouTube.

One thing I cannot seem to figure out is how to work the depth-of-field. It does not work even if it's enabled.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Wed, Aug 15 2012 8:55 AM In reply to

• Stu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 6 2010
    • Washington DC
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,205

I take it you're new to Avid or a switcher.

The best way to look at Avid FX is, not as a fancy pants compositor (which it is very capable of, but I am not technical enough with it) but as your go-to app for doing 90% of the little stuff that can be done within the timeline.

Take for example, you have a fancy picture move that you added in your timeline.  Suddenly, the client wants the clip to show the picture 5 seconds longer... not a problem.  

When you ripple or extend edit a clip that has this effect in the MC timeline, all the keyframes will either; move and space accordingly to the new timeline size, or hold their positions.  This is all customized when you enter the AvidFX engine through the MC timeline, in the Preferences I believe.

That is of course a simplified example.

Another note, keyframing, or the selecting of keyframes I continue to find annoying, however, Boris created their own way of moving groups of keyframes.

Boris I think has yet to solve the Audio .wav file problem in the 64 bit versions of the applications, because there is no Windows 64bit version of quicktime.  Meaning, if you're on MC 6 and on a PC, you will NOT get audio into Boris RED/Avid FX.

Now the next step is making simple animations with a green-dot effect.  Oh glorious that would be.

Lenovo E31 Thinkstation - MC 8.3.0 - Win7Pro SP1 - 1x Xeon 1275v2 - Kingston 32GB 1600MHz ECC - Quadro2000 /// w540: Win8.1 (not pro) - 4th gen i7 4710MQ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 15 2012 8:57 AM In reply to

• Stu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Washington DC
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,205

If you want similar DOF, like in AE, don't bother.  Do it in AE.

I've been through that phase trying to experiment, render times don't justify the result.

As bad as that sounds, it's not.

Lenovo E31 Thinkstation - MC 8.3.0 - Win7Pro SP1 - 1x Xeon 1275v2 - Kingston 32GB 1600MHz ECC - Quadro2000 /// w540: Win8.1 (not pro) - 4th gen i7 4710MQ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 16 2012 12:57 AM In reply to

Thanks Stu.

Sorry for causing confusion. It's actually the oposite...I've been Avid since XDV, been using AvidFX too. I have not tried AfterEffects.

We're heading to improve our motion graphics. Looking at some latest production, they are mostly done in AE so our boss sugest we buy AE.

Thanks

--

Stu:
    ...new to Avid or a switcher.
    Smile

--

• Thu, Aug 16 2012 1:14 AM In reply to

• Stu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Washington DC
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,205

Oh in that case yeah AE is a solid solution.  Get dedicated graphics guys and they will do what they do best.

Much better solution for big big stuff.

new to avid or a switcher lol

• Mon, Aug 27 2012 11:05 AM In reply to

Are there any more latest demos or projects..somewhere?

--

• Mon, Aug 27 2012 6:25 PM In reply to

• Stu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Washington DC
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,205

For After Effects???  The program speaks for itself, but it's always based on the creativity and technical knowledge of any artist when using any program.

If you want to get fancy, get eyeON FUSION.  Node-based compositing integrated in the Avid timeline.  I'm about to get the student discount of it, and so far it's very very stable compared to the flakey boris red madness.  Not that I'd take advantage of it to the fullest, but it will give me some simple tracking and keying and masking capabilities for image cleanup.

• Sat, Sep 1 2012 11:52 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,372
    • Points 96,860

Stu:
    For After Effects???  The program speaks for itself
    - if you want to drive it at its most minimal.  Creative Cow has excellent tutorials that explore AE's power and are well worth a look.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 4 2012 7:20 AM In reply to

Thanks for the responds. I'm starting my journey with AE..exciting Smile

--

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller