Latest post Fri, Aug 3 2012 7:26 PM by Jon Chappell. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 30 2012 1:54 AM

• rpmpictures
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 2 2011
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Before you upgrade to MC v6...

...please be aware that although Avid recommends Mac OS X 10.7 Lion (10.7.3 I think) - and last week I could have upgraded to exactly that, on a Mac Pro 2,1 8-core, this week I cannot, because the only available OS on the App Store is 10.8. 10.7 is gone and 10.8 won't run on a 32-bit EFI Mac Pro, like the six we have... 

So last week I could have upgraded to the latest version of Avid on the best supported OS, this week I cannot...

Rumour has it that you can phone and ask for Lion (there were never any DVDs of course, so you can't just pop it in and reinstall) but we get to deal with Apple Australia because we're not a proper country and they're glacial. Their business call centre offered to get me a copy of Lion and said they could send me an activation code in 3-5 working days - don't they have a computer for this kind of stuff? - then disconnected me while trying to transfer my call to AppleCare.

So I now have a number of machines that can be upgraded to the last version of the Mac OS that they'll run, and a number that cannot... even Microsoft managed to sell XP for years after Vista came along, but in the world of annual Mac updates, we all have to leave our dead and wounded behind, at the roadside... completely insane.

Countless Mac Pros [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Jul 30 2012 9:41 AM In reply to

• flashavid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • England
    • Posts 307
    • Points 3,800

Re: Before you upgrade to MC v6...

More like bi-annual updates !!

This last 12 months has been crazy for new versions of software, and trying to get them all in sync is a nightmare.

I'm not sure if I will ever get my 'new' mac running so I feel confident to use it for paid work - that still gets done on a version 3 MC on PC - its so reliable :)

MC 8.9.2 Symphony - MacPro 2.66Ghz 12core 48GB ram - OS 10.12.6 - BM 4K Extreme - Sapphire pulse RX580 8GB -SSD boot - 3 x 2TB internal WD caviar black... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 30 2012 10:37 AM In reply to

I can see Apples desire to drive users along by closing the door on old versions of software but for business and pro users it's a real headache.

It's just too easy to get caught out.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jul 30 2012 10:56 AM In reply to

• rpmpictures
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 2 2011
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Crikey, you could just post a graduation photo!

No one's complaining about being left behind on an OS update for our allegedly 64-bit machines (we've been through this many times) but Apple has gone a step further by withdrawing 10.7 entirely. I remember when OS 9 was new, you could still download, for free, floppy disk images of 7.5.5 because that's what some Macs needed. Oh how those days are gone. 

I expect the day will come when before you pick up your new Mac, you'll need to sign a "Terms of Use" document that says you don't own it, you just bought a licence to use it, til you need another. Who decides? Apple does.

What's sad is that with annual updates (Lion's been out 5 minutes) Avid and others will struggle to keep up. And I'm amazed at the apologists for this approach - there's an element of masochism in this. "Make my Mac obsolete so I know for sure we're moving forward!"

Well, sorry, we're moving backwards. This isn't the Brave New World - this is 1984.

Countless Mac Pros [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 3 2012 7:26 PM In reply to

For a while Apple sold USB sticks with Lion on it so some stores may still have them. But they're not doing that anymore with 10.8 so buy it now without installing it.

My software:
    Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
    Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
    More tools...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller