Latest post Sun, Jul 29 2012 3:29 PM by Diamornte. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 26 2012 6:30 PM

• andysack
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 4 2011
    • London
    • Posts 17
    • Points 215

Canon MXF clips link to AMA Volume not working

Hi

I'm trying to import some footage shoot on an Canon XF305 camera. I'm using Media Composer 6.0.1.1 on Mac OS X Lion to edit.

I'm trying to use an AMA workflow as its a quick turnaround job.

For some reason I can't import the footage using 'Link to AMA Volume'. When I do a bin opens up with no clips inside. The file structure has not been tampered with and I have AMA volume management enable. I can import the clips one by one using 'link to AMA files' but it takes awhile to do. I have the Canon XF plugin install so I know its not down to that.

Can anyone help?

Intel i7-6850k @ 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

Andy Sackey / Editor

andysackey.com

Mac Pro 8 Core, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 120 & 285

Avid Media Composer 6

Filed under: , , , , ,
  • Thu, Jul 26 2012 8:36 PM In reply to

• indigospin
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA
    • Posts 528
    • Points 5,960

Re: Canon MXF clips link to AMA Volume not working

andysack,

sounds like the "top level" directory may not be getting selected properly.  i know for me in my XDcam workflow, that has happened to me before.  took a little trial & error for me to discover that i needed to select a different folder, at which point the plug-in did the rest.  hope it's as simple as that for you!

-shane

MC v8.0 QT v7.6.9 WMP v12 NTSC Nitris DX Hardware ASUS Delux MOBO, Intel core i7 3.2GHz, 12 GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), NVIDIA QuadroFX3500... [view my complete system specs]

Owner, Senior Editor, Director
    indigospin : media+marketing
    www.indigospin.com

indigospin.com

• Sat, Jul 28 2012 5:50 PM In reply to

I've had a similar issue in the past when trying to bring in XF305 footage. Granted it was on MC 5.5, but the issue was still the same. I would also suggest making sure that you are AMA linking to the root directory. If the problem persists, I would try:

1. Making sure that your Canon AMA plug-in is up to date. Once I updated mine, the problem went away and everything worked flawlessly.

2. Download the 'Canon XF Utility' from Canon's website. Export your footage to .MXF using the utility and AMA link to the new .MXF files.

You can get the plug-in and utility here

(The link is to C300 but the plug-in and utility are the same)

Hope this helps.

• Sun, Jul 29 2012 9:47 AM In reply to

• andysack
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 4 2011
    • London
    • Posts 17
    • Points 215

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think i've figured it out, I let Media Composer consolidate the media instead of using doing it myself using Finder.

The CF card mounts in the Avid as soon as I plug it in, I highlight all the clips and select the Consolidate function then select the external drive I want the media moved to. 

How that helps anyone using AMA & Canon XF media.

-----------------------------------

Andy Sackey

Editor/Cameraman/Photographer

Mobile: +44 (0) 7989 396611

Web: www.andysackey.com

Intel i7-6850k @ 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

Andy Sackey / Editor

andysackey.com

Mac Pro 8 Core, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 120 & 285

Avid Media Composer 6

• Sun, Jul 29 2012 3:29 PM In reply to

• Diamornte
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 19 2012
    • Posts 14
    • Points 200

Are you bringing the files in at an HD resolution or low res?  In our workflow at my job we have been transcoding the MXF files one at a time via "link to AMA files" instead of by link to volume, only because when we link to volume the spanned clips' video does not relink to the transcoded offline media.  If you are bringing in to an offline resolution like this, does this happen to you?

We also figured out that when you choose to "link to AMA files" you don't have to click every MXF file one at a time, you just need to twirl down every folder in a volume, then you can COMMAND+A select all and enter to transcode all of the files. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller