Latest post Fri, Jul 27 2012 12:12 AM by mar/cus. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 26 2012 5:53 PM

• mar/cus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 7 2011
    • sweden
    • Posts 102
    • Points 1,420

Setting the media creation right

Got some footage I now need to start edit, but I am not quit sure what resolution I should set in the media creation settings.

I created a 1080p29.27 project, even though the footage is in 720p I wan't it full res so my text objects look sharp.

My option for resolution are 45, 145, 220 and 220x. When using "media inspector" (an app for getting media info) it says 24.9 Mbps in Total Stream BitRate.. does that mean I can set my MCreation to DNxHD 45 and I wont loose any quality when I import them?

thanks,

marcus

MacPro 2013 Quad-Core - Dual AMD FirePro D300 - 32GB Memory, PROMISE Pegasus2 R6 18 TB, Blackmagic Ultrastudio Express, Avid Omni HD Native, Artist Mix... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 26 2012 6:07 PM In reply to

Re: Setting the media creation right

Marcus:

I would suggest that you take a small test file, perhaps 10 to 15 seconds long, and import it 3 times each at 45, 145, and 220. Then, compare them and see which is the lowest one that gives you what you would consider "lossless" quality. To help you estimate how much total disk space you will need at what resolution, here is a storage calculator tool.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jul 26 2012 6:08 PM In reply to

The footage could be long GOP and a low datarate so comparrison wth a frame based codec just doesn't work.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jul 26 2012 7:22 PM In reply to

• mar/cus
    • Not Ranked
    • sweden
    • Posts 102
    • Points 1,420

Larry Rubin:

Marcus:

I would suggest that you take a small test file, perhaps 10 to 15 seconds long, and import it 3 times each at 45, 145, and 220. Then, compare them and see which is the lowest one that gives you what you would consider "lossless" quality. To help you estimate how much total disk space you will need at what resolution, here is a storage calculator tool.

I did a test, and couldn't see any major quality losses when using at least 145 as res, can see some in 45 though.

My only problem is that the footage gets (slightly) darker blacks after importing, and/but lighter blacks after AMA/transcode than the original media. Why is this?

MacPro 2013 Quad-Core - Dual AMD FirePro D300 - 32GB Memory, PROMISE Pegasus2 R6 18 TB, Blackmagic Ultrastudio Express, Avid Omni HD Native, Artist Mix... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 26 2012 7:25 PM In reply to

marcus:
    My only problem is that the footage gets (slightly) darker blacks after importing, and/but lighter blacks after AMA/transcode than the original media. Why is this?

Check your color space settings under the options tab in the import tool (RGB vs 601/709).

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jul 26 2012 7:41 PM In reply to

• mar/cus
    • Not Ranked
    • sweden
    • Posts 102
    • Points 1,420

Larry Rubin:

marcus:

Check your color space settings under the options tab in the import tool (RGB vs 601/709).

If you mean the tab "Image" in the import settings, the File Pixel to Video Mapping is set to "601 SD or 709 HD (16-235)".

My project is set to YCbCr 709, my footage is in YUV (it says in media inspector).. is that right?

• Thu, Jul 26 2012 8:49 PM In reply to

Do you have color bars on any of the files you are importing? With those when looking at the waveforms, you can clearly see the difference between RBG mapping vs. 601/709 mapping to set the right choice. What is your project format? Does it match the format the footage was created in?

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jul 26 2012 8:59 PM In reply to

• mar/cus
    • Not Ranked
    • sweden
    • Posts 102
    • Points 1,420

Larry Rubin:

Do you have color bars on any of the files you are importing? With those when looking at the waveforms, you can clearly see the difference between RBG mapping vs. 601/709 mapping to set the right choice. What is your project format? Does it match the format the footage was created in?

There is no color bars unfortunately. 

My project format is 1080p/29.97, YCbCr 709.

The footage is recorded in MPEG-4 (codec AVC), 1280x720 progressive 29.97fps, color space YUV.

• Thu, Jul 26 2012 9:29 PM In reply to

It looks like you have things pretty well matched up, but what do you get if under the format tab, you change the color space option from YCbCr 709 to RGB 709 and do a test import?

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jul 27 2012 12:12 AM In reply to

• mar/cus
    • Not Ranked
    • sweden
    • Posts 102
    • Points 1,420

Larry Rubin:

It looks like you have things pretty well matched up, but what do you get if under the format tab, you change the color space option from YCbCr 709 to RGB 709 and do a test import?

Too high blacks again.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller