Latest post Fri, Oct 12 2012 5:33 PM by Kevin Klimek. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 10 2012 12:21 PM

SubCap - Belle Nuit Help

I am trying to subtitle foreign language interview footage.  The subtitler I am working with uses Belle Nuit but it seems no matter what file she sends me, I cannot import it into Avid's SubCap tool. I get an warning message stating that no captions from the source file overlap with the selected clip.

Can anyone give guidance on the steps we need to take to make Belle Nuit work with the Avid SubCap tool?  We are on a tight deadline so ANY assistance is greatly appreciated!

Lee

Working with MC 5.5 on Mac with Snow Leopard

• Tue, Jul 10 2012 12:49 PM In reply to

Re: SubCap - Belle Nuit Help

We're doing exactly that process ourselves now. You have to watch out for a few things.

First, make sure your headers are good. I've been deleting all the font formatting information (I don't think they'll carry through anyway, and I prefer to style within Avid) and leaving only:

@ This is a DS Subtitles file

<begin subtitles>

(obviously you must also have an <end subtitles> command at the end)

Make sure your TCs match up. Our source TC all starts at 01:00:00 anyway, but you still have to tell Subtitler that that's your start time.

Thirdly, I had trouble when trying to import a script where some of the TCs were duplicated or overlapped. There's a preflight check you can run in Subtitler to pick up any of these.

Matt

2008 Mac Pro 2x3.0GHz | 14GB RAM Avid MC 6.5 NVidia GT120 Areca 1882x RAID w/Proavio 8-bay rack box MOTU Express HD [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 11 2012 12:28 AM In reply to

Or you could use TEP, Title Exchange Pro. It converts all kind of subtitle formats.

It's a bit pricey tho'

http://www.spherico.de/filmtools/TitleExchange/

MacBook Pro 16 (2019), 8GB 5500MX, 32GB RAM, OSX 10.15.4, MC 2020.4 || Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 40 Gb RAM, BM Mini Monitor 4k, GTX970 4GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 11 2012 6:11 AM In reply to

LeeEssakane:
    I get an warning message stating that no captions from the source file overlap with the selected clip.

This implies that the subtitler has used a different master TC.

If you open the subtitle file in a text editor, what are the first and last TC? What is the MTC of your sequence? You may have to (temporarily) change the MTC of your sequence to bring in the subs.

Or, perhaps your subtitler has subtitled the source clips? In that case, AutoSequence the source clips, then import the subs on top of that.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 11 2012 9:15 AM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 485
    • Points 5,710

Hello Lee,

The other thing is the formatting for the template when you are saving for Avid from your subtitling software. Then in your Avid Media Composer on your timeline make sure that the start timecode of your sequence matches the start timecodes on the subtitle clip that you are trying to import.

I had the same issues with Subtitling workshop, I had to get the correct format of the subtitles saved into the correct Avid format then the timecode start of the sequence fixed my issues.

Hope that helps.

Leo

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 14 2012 11:48 PM In reply to

Thanks!  I am still having issues.  The timecode now matches up but Avid is still giving me the same error. Can anyone send me an example of a successful subtitle doc that was imported into SubCap?

• Sun, Jul 15 2012 12:04 AM In reply to

Hey Lee

Here's a file that I've used with success (of course, it matches my sequence at start TC 01:00:00:00).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7taxjogxlfx968/BenitoHB.txt

Matt

2008 Mac Pro 2x3.0GHz | 14GB RAM Avid MC 6.5 NVidia GT120 Areca 1882x RAID w/Proavio 8-bay rack box MOTU Express HD [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 15 2012 12:27 AM In reply to

Matt!  I have so many questions for you.  This file worked perfectly with my timeline.  Is there any way you can walk me through the settings you used to set the project up and export?  Also, because the formatting is off, is there any way to adjust the format of the subtitles once they are in your timeline so that it is a global adjustment and you don't have to go subtitle clip by subtitle clip?

THANK YOU!

• Sun, Jul 15 2012 12:46 AM In reply to

Sure ... we actually had our editorial assistant do the actual tagging, so I can only claim experience helping her set it up. 

This is what we did. From Avid, create a movie export with a timecode burnin. Use Compressor, Squeeze, Quicktime or whatever to create a small, low-res version (I used Quicktime X to export a "web version" optimized for wifi). In Subtitler, open the Movie tab, double-click on the blue rectangle and import the movie. Set the framerate appropriately (eg 23.98). Set the start TC (eg 01:00:00:00). Click Syncronize.

Leave the Style and Export tabs alone. Now play through a few lines of dialogue, set I and O where appropriate and click N. That will set you up with the first tc line, eg

/tc 01:00:04:18 01:00:06:23

And type your line underneath. 

Now, for Avid, we don't want the /tc code. So when you do File - Export List, choose Avid DS from the "List format" dropdown. Click Preview and you'll see something similar to what I sent you. Click Export. Now use a plain text editor (I like TextWrangler, it's free) to open it, get rid of the header/style section, and basically just leave the codes you saw in my sample. I don't believe I changed the encoding of the document, so just click save - if you have problems, you might try changing to Unicode, or Western ASCII.

Let me know if that works!

Oh, you mentioned style. Yes - once the subcaps are laid in, you can configure styling for a single caption. Use the Effect Editor to do this. Once it's as you want it, there's a template you can save as. You can also choose which style aspects (position, size, etc) are specific to a single caption, to a track, to a sequence. Generally you want to set everything per sequence, so that the style affects everything in your timeline. You can override specific caption styles on a caption-by-caption basis if you need to.

best

Matt

• Sun, Jul 15 2012 1:23 AM In reply to

Thanks, Matt! I am going to share this with the subtitler and see if we can figure out where we are going wrong.  Thanks so much for your help!

• Sun, Jul 15 2012 1:30 AM In reply to

Also, Matt, these are the settings the subtitler is using.  Would you mind taking a look and letting me know if these look about right? I really appreciate your assistance! Lee [footage NTSC shot on a Panasonic HVX200, 720p/23.97] BELLE NUIT SETTINGS
    Export Video Format     HD720p File Format TIFF Framerate 23.98 Offset 01:00:00:00 synchronize the movie has time code starting at 01:00:00:00 Preferences TIFF Export extension .tif Titlelist and Preview size 12 Spotting Split distance 3 REading Speed 12 Exporting   TITLELIST     list format  AVID DS

• Sun, Jul 15 2012 3:49 AM In reply to

I think that's fine. If you're just generating a cap list for Avid, you don't really need to care about the "export video" settings, since that's only if you're actually generating a captioned video from Subtitler (it sounds like you're not). I don't really know what the "reading speed" does - I've never changed it from default. And Avid DS is certainly the correct export format although, as I say, I do end up stripping out a lot of the header bits.

Matt

• Fri, Jul 20 2012 1:00 PM In reply to

Matt, one more question!  We finally got a test file to work.  I think it had to do with the formatting of the file -  the lines were double-spaced and when I single spaced them, it worked.  Now, I have another issue.  A second subtitler is working with me and he exported an Avid file from Belle Nuit.  In import caption dialog box, the Avid recognizes the captions (it says 480 captions will be spliced in) and I hit "ok"...nothing happens.  No captions spliced in.  Would you have any ideas on what could be the issue?

Thanks so much, Matt!!!

Leola

• Fri, Jul 20 2012 1:02 PM In reply to

Did you run the "duplicate" preflight check in Subtitler? I've seen that happen where there were duplicate or overlapping timecodes in the script.

Matt

• Thu, Oct 11 2012 7:45 AM In reply to

• ilkka
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • nyc
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,550

picking up an old thread in the hopes you guys are still there - this seems the most informed recent thread on subcap.

i've used subcap succesfully together with belle nuit & otherwise. but that was on western script - now i need to deal with chinese, and don't seem to be able to type or copy/paste the text to the filter - get question marks, not the type. same with  title tool, by the way.

alas - is importing a utf-8 text file the only way subcap will support unicode? or - have you found other ways?

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller