Latest post Tue, Jul 10 2012 5:08 PM by RyanCB. 19 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 8 2012 2:47 AM In reply to

Re: 411 vs 1:1, etc!

RyanCB:
    Do I need to create a new project at 23.98 and try it with that?  

23.976 (or 24p) is what you get in Avid.  

RyanCB:
    It seemed to actually do the whole 'try to fit (the wrong) 30 seconds of footage into 4 seconds so I'll speed it up' thing a bit more, but I'm still not getting any correct clips, and some plain black screens.  

Ok, so basically it's not pointing to the correct clips.  Did you at any point in your edit do any Consolidation of your clips or anything that would change the duration from what it might have originally been?

When dealing with QT files Avid actually only reads the frames (not TC) so, if you use frame 100-500 from a QT source that is the only way Avid knows which frames to play in your Seq.  If you point to the wrong file, it'll replace with frame 100-500 of whatever clip you told it to use.  If those frame don't exist for the clip you told Avid to use, then it seems likely that it would display black.  

Basically, if you used ClipA in your Sequence, then you need to point to the QT source that you originally imported to create ClipA.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Jul 8 2012 2:55 AM In reply to

IMO 23.98 is just a rounded down way of saying 23.976.

From what I understand from your posts and with my main interest in getting the job finished as quickly as possible I would Import all of the original movies into the new project in a DNxHD format. Check all have imported correctly. If they have I would assign them all a colour.

Open a bin from your 411 project with the edited sequence in it. Duplicate that sequence into a new bin in your project. Modify the new sequence so it has the same frame rate as your HD project.

I would then manually replace all the 4.44 media with the new HD (coloured) clips. For your motion effect clips mark in and out around the clip in the timeline and then eye match and mark the correct in and out frames. Then use fit to fill to get the correct speed.

Once you get into the swing of shot replacement it does not really take that long. (IMO)

• Mon, Jul 9 2012 10:03 PM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 2 2011
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

Ok, so basically it's not pointing to the correct clips.  Did you at any point in your edit do any Consolidation of your clips or anything that would change the duration from what it might have originally been?

When dealing with QT files Avid actually only reads the frames (not TC) so, if you use frame 100-500 from a QT source that is the only way Avid knows which frames to play in your Seq.  If you point to the wrong file, it'll replace with frame 100-500 of whatever clip you told it to use.  If those frame don't exist for the clip you told Avid to use, then it seems likely that it would display black.  

Basically, if you used ClipA in your Sequence, then you need to point to the QT source that you originally imported to create ClipA.

I didn't know that Avid did the frame thing, and not TC.  This project originally started out as an AMA linked sequence, and then it all went offline, and then I imported and then I transcoded, so yeah I'm sure something somewhere got screwed up.

AndrewAction:

IMO 23.98 is just a rounded down way of saying 23.976.

From what I understand from your posts and with my main interest in getting the job finished as quickly as possible I would Import all of the original movies into the new project in a DNxHD format. Check all have imported correctly. If they have I would assign them all a colour.

Open a bin from your 411 project with the edited sequence in it. Duplicate that sequence into a new bin in your project. Modify the new sequence so it has the same frame rate as your HD project.

I would then manually replace all the 4.44 media with the new HD (coloured) clips. For your motion effect clips mark in and out around the clip in the timeline and then eye match and mark the correct in and out frames. Then use fit to fill to get the correct speed.

Once you get into the swing of shot replacement it does not really take that long. (IMO)

I've actually done the shot by shot replacement before on this project and you're right, there comes a point where the time spent trying to solve the problem is a lot more than it would be to just replace the shots one by one.  

Thanks all for the help.  

edit: I couldn't just Transcode to a good DNxHD quality, could I...?

• Tue, Jul 10 2012 8:25 AM In reply to

• cccu tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 17 2011
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,350

You could transcode... but it'd be pointless.  Your media's at SD resolution so you'd be asking for Avid to uprez your SD footage.

Avid 5.5.3 Snow Leopard 10.6.8 2007 2x 2.8Ghx Quad Mac Pro 4GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 10 2012 5:08 PM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 2 2011
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

Yeah I figured.  Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller