Latest post Tue, Jul 10 2012 5:08 PM by RyanCB. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 5 2012 1:32 AM

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 2 2011
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

411 vs 1:1, etc!

Hello - I am working on a project, and when I imported all my clips, I had DV25P411 selected. From what I understand people recommend working this way.  
    Now I'm ready to export a best-quality version to give to my color corrector, etc.  But when I export "same as source", my original 1920x1080 (what the camera captured at) is now 720x486.  Is this because I used 411 when importing?  Is there any way to export a same as source and get the full 1920x1080?  Thanks!

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 1:46 AM In reply to

Re: 411 vs 1:1, etc!

There's two workflows you can use.  In niether case can you output at a higher resolution that you captured/imported (and have a better looking image).

The first is an offline-online workflow.  This is typically used with HD or a large resoluton source file.  You capture/import at a low resolution to save space and make editing more agile.  Then, when ready to finish, you recapture/import at full resolution. 

The second would be to capture/import once at the resolution that is closest to your cameras source files.  This requires disk space and a system capable of editing at the full resolution.

What format/resolution were your source files?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 2:39 AM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

My original files are .mov files at 1920x1080 - recorded from a Sony F3 camera using an AJA Key Pro Mini which converted them to Apple ProRes 422 files.  HD. 

How can I recapture/import at full resolution then?  Can that be done by transcoding?  

Thanks for your help!

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 2:57 AM In reply to

You should be able to Batch Import, and specify the highest resolution.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 8:41 PM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

Okay so if I go through all my footage in my bins and batch import the correct clips at the highest resolution, will I have to then manually re-edit them into my sequence?  Is there a way to just replace what's there currently with the new stuff? 

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 8:44 PM In reply to

That's what Batch Import will do ... relink the new hi-rez cips to the existing sequence as they're being imported.

(wwld)

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 8:56 PM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

Ohh it will do that automatically?  That's cool.  Problem is I have like dozens of different clips in my sequence so this will be a pain. 

Thanks again!

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 8:57 PM In reply to

RyanCB:
    so if I go through all my footage in my bins and batch import the correct clips at the highest resolution

But you should only need to do a Batch Import on the Sequence you intend to the send to the colorist.  There is no need to Batch Import hours of footag that never made it into the edit.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 8:58 PM In reply to

Also, if you're going to be importing the hi-rez HD stuff, then make sure to flip your project format into HD - otherwise you won't get the HD resolution options.  

• Fri, Jul 6 2012 3:21 AM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

So I duplicated the sequence, opened it and hit Batch Import, and selected 1:1.  It said it couldn't find a few of the clips, so I just said ignore because I wanted to know if it would work at all.  

A couple problems:
    It said there were 264 clips to import, which is definitely the number of clips in my entire project, not just in that sequence.  Not sure why?  Was I in the wrong window or something? 

I went ahead and imported anyway, and after it was done, only about 1/10 of my new clips (and thus sequence) worked.  The remainder were just clips of all black screens or all white screens, one or two of random freeze frames, and one completely random one that was a speeded up section of some random footage.  

I didn't move the clips' location from when I first imported...(if I did it would have told me it couldn't find them anyway) so...what the heck happened?

• Fri, Jul 6 2012 2:48 PM In reply to

RyanCB:
    hit Batch Import, and selected 1:1
    First off, are you still in SD or did you switch your project to HD?  

RyanCB:
    It said there were 264 clips to import, which is definitely the number of clips in my entire project, not just in that sequence.

Did you happen to use all 264 clips in your sequence?

RyanCB:
    The remainder were just clips of all black screens or all white screens,

The white screen is usually an indicator that you don't have the codec to play back the source footage installed on your system.  Do they play in QT Player?

RyanCB:
    one completely random one that was a speeded up section of some random footage.  

Ok, that can happen if you say have clip A that is used in the Sequence and it's 5 secs long, but in the Batch Import dialogue box, you pointed to clip B (whose source might be some other duration).  Because the clipA metadata was told to use the clipB source, you've crammed all of clipB into the space you used for clipA.  In other words, you stuffed up the Batch Import.

When you select the Seq and choose Batch Import, the dialogue box opens and says "I will attempt to import the following clips - the ones in Black, I know where they are.  The ones in Red, you have to tell me where the source file is because it's not where you last imported it from"  You use Set File Location for that.  It's always a good idea to take a look down the list just to make sure that Avid has all the paths correct etc.  

Perhaps you should do screengrabs of each step and post here so we can see where/what is messing you up.  

• Sat, Jul 7 2012 12:45 AM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

Okay, so I figured out that the 264 clips was because it was doing clips multiple times (because they appear multiple times in my sequence?).  

Anyway I tried an experiment and just tried to Batch Import one clip (by checking "skip this clip" for the rest), and manually pointed it to the correct clip on my HD.  This clip is a .mov and opens fine in Quicktime.  I changed my project format to: 

(it was previous just set at 23.976 NTSC)

I right click on the sequence in my Bin: 

And removed all clips but one, making sure it pointed to the right place:

And when it imported, the clip it imported and the clip in my timeline just were black screens.  Interestingly, it still had audio.  

Is the fact that I selected 1:1?  I tried it with XDCAM 50Mbits (just as an experiment) and it did the same thing with the black screen.  

Thanks again for all your help.

• Sat, Jul 7 2012 4:03 AM In reply to

Instead of 1:1 I would choose DNxHD something like 175(?) or 220(?) (Not sure of NTSC data rates off the top of my head)

If you open the original movie in Quicktime and open the movie inspector what frame rate does it show? If not the 23.976 that you have set for your project I would change your projects frame rate to match the original movies frame rate.

• Sat, Jul 7 2012 2:03 PM In reply to

1:1 in an HD project is going to be major overkill.  You're going to use up so much more space and not have any discernable bump up in quality.  Choose one of the DNx resolutions.  

But, as Andrew asked does the original file play in QT?  

• Sun, Jul 8 2012 2:33 AM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

First of all, yep my clips all open fine in Quicktime.

I just tried a couple different DNxHD options instead of 1:1 (good idea) but it gave me the same problems.  It seemed to actually do the whole 'try to fit (the wrong) 30 seconds of footage into 4 seconds so I'll speed it up' thing a bit more, but I'm still not getting any correct clips, and some plain black screens.  

Quicktime movie inspector says my footage is 23.98.  I changed my project to 23.976 a bit ago because that's what I needed to deliver to my music composer.  Do I need to create a new project at 23.98 and try it with that?  

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller