Latest post Sat, Jun 23 2012 7:06 PM by Wm.Busby. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 20 2012 12:54 AM

16:9 sequence randomly switches to 4:3

Hello everyone,

When I am burning a DVD of my sequence the external burner alerts me that I have different aspect ratios within the same sequence. My footage is shot in 16:9.  I had this problem once before and it turned out that the blank space in between clips was automatically considered 4:3. I fixed it by filling all the blank space with 16:9 black filler. 

I am now having the same problem months later even though I used the same procedure. It gives me the warning when I am fading in from the beginning shot and fading out from the end shot as well as when I am using titles that I created in 16:9 (I think...I opened the title tool and it look to be 16:9 to th eye and I assumed it was because all of my footage was already set to 16 x 9 in the source monitor)

I really need to get this fixed because every time I want to shoot in DV widescreen on my HD camera I will now have to deal with this in Avid.

Thank you in advance

Media composer 3.0

Windows xp 32 bit. Sp 3

• Wed, Jun 20 2012 1:16 AM In reply to

Re: 16:9 sequence randomly switches to 4:3

Elroy:

I'm beginning to suspect that you may have changed only your displays to 16:9 but you're actually working in a 4:3 project. What is the format of your project?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jun 20 2012 6:14 AM In reply to

• Lemuriatv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 5 2008
    • Czech Republic
    • Posts 229
    • Points 2,810

I have the same problem. When I have 16:9 SD PAL project (not only 16:9 displays) the filler is always 4:3 (without 16:9 flag). Workabout of this Avid BUG is place reformat effect to each filler (4:3 to 16:9).

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2,66 GHz, 8 GB RAM,NVIDIA Quadro K5200, 4 TB for video (2 TB in Raid), Win7ProCZ, MC 7.0.7 DONGLE Matrox MXO2 mini + second system... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 20 2012 7:20 AM In reply to

MC does not generate the widescreen flag (which is not an official part of any video standard).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 20 2012 9:16 PM In reply to

Thanks Larry, where do I check that setting? 

Also the digital cut is now not working. No video or audio goes to the camera but it the avid is recording.

When I crash record by playing the sequence and hitting record manually on the camera it works. However I watched my output and there was one section where the audio slipped out of sync. Is this because I didn't use the digital cut tool? I rechecked the sequence and there's no error.

• Wed, Jun 20 2012 9:21 PM In reply to

In the project window, there is a format tab that will display what the current format is. Also, when you create a new project, the new project pop up window gives you various choices for selecting a format.

Regarding your digital cut problem, have you configured a channel and linked to a machine template in your deck configuration user settings?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jun 20 2012 9:27 PM In reply to

Ok I'll check the project setting in 10 minutes when the avid is ready.

Yes I configured the deck... FireWire to generic dv device

• Wed, Jun 20 2012 9:45 PM In reply to

Yes I configured the deck... FireWire to generic dv device

Ok the project setting only has a drop down menu and 30i NTSC is chosen. 

It also says "video" in the main box. 

When I start a new project it doesn't give me 16:9 option, but it asks for resolution 30i, 720,1080 etc.

I just watched the output to my camera and the filler is definitely 4:3 because I see the black get cropped in between clips. How can I make the filler 16:9?

FYI I shot in sd but used 16:9 setting. I fixed the prob in dvxpress By changing the filler, titles and still pics to 16:9 a few yrs ago. Now that I have mc that trick doesn't work

• Wed, Jun 20 2012 11:18 PM In reply to

Well, 30i NTSC is an SD project format, but when working in 30iSD, you should also have an aspect ratio choice of either 4:3 or 16:9 when setting the format. Try this. Create a new project with a format 30i NTSC and aspect ratio 16:9. Bring in some 16:9 footage and do a few test edits with filler added. Then, do a test burn to DVD and see if the problem persists.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jun 20 2012 11:27 PM In reply to

Again:

Job ter Burg:

MC does not generate the widescreen flag (which is not an official part of any video standard).

The flag is on part of your footage, minus everything that went through fx/rendering. The monitor on your camcorder is responding to the appearing and disappearing flag.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 20 2012 11:43 PM In reply to

Larry, there isn't a 16:9 choice. Just resolutions. 

• Wed, Jun 20 2012 11:45 PM In reply to

Job, I don't know what you mean by a "flag"

I had the problem with xpress dv and fixed it with filler. Do you know why I can't do that in mc 3?

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 6:57 AM In reply to

MC3 did not have the 16x9 Project setting that Larry is referring to. You only have a 16x9 setting for the Composer window.

As for the flag:

Widescreen in SD is just a widescreen image squeezed horizontally to fit with in a traditonal 4x3 SD iage raster. A lot of consumer/prosumer camcorders will add a flag to the image they record when set to 16x9 mode. This flag is a few white dots somewhere in one of the first video lines that are not being used by actual active picture (similar to things like Teletext and Closed Captioning). The viewfinder/monitor on these camcorders (and most consumer TV sets) will respond to this flag and activate their own 16x9 display setting, effectively horizontally stretching the anamorphic image back out to widescreen, or vertically squeezing it so it gets to be letterboxed.

Again, this flag is not part of any official video standard, but it works in closed eco-systems, such as a DV camcorder. It will automatically change the display setting when it detects the flag. Since these non-active lines are not being processed during renders and such, the flag may disappear, causing the display on your camcorder to flip between 4x3 and 16x9 display.

It has no bearing on the actual image you are recording, just on how it is being displayed on your camcorder's viewfinder/LCD.

But the thing apparently is that your DVD-recorder also detects that flag and that the filler in your sequence does not have that flag. I'm not sure what you mean by "adding 16x9 filler" to your sequence in XDV. What do you mean by that?

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 11:21 AM In reply to

I meant that when I edited on avid xpress I had the same problem. The black was 4:3.  I got around it from some advice from a fellow editor. I put filler in all the black spots, and my source window was somehow in 16;9 because it worked. 

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 11:24 AM In reply to

elroy337325:
    I put filler in all the black spots
    I really don't get what you mean by that. You can't add filler to empty spots, because empty spots are already filler. If you have added some sort of imported media that was black, why not do that very same trick you did in XDV?

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller